Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 03:57

Plan: own modified
Stats: 238/212/176 Female 180
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Consequences of eating too many carbs

Thanks for a wonderful site. I've been reading lots of the threads and found usefull information. Could people give their opinions on the consequences of eating too many carbs.

If I am in ketosis and I have a day where I for example eat 2500 calories worth of mostly carbs, what is the result on my body? I know that I will go out of ketosis but what will the effect weight wise be? Would I put weight on or would it just be starting from the beginning again.

Thank you - Alex
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 07:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Well, you would leave ketosis. Your body would switch back to a carb burning process instead of a fat burning.
You would gain several pounds, because carbs make your body retain water. At this point it would be just water, but since you've left ketosis you might feel dragging until you get the fat burning engine going again.
I've found that eating carbs again makes me sick to my stomach. You could have even more dramatic digestive protests if you suddenly add those many carbs again.
For me, it's just not worth it. Who remembers what it tasted like the next day? When you are dealing with bloating, naseau, and wacky blood sugars?
Trust me, whatever it is, it will be made again in the future.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 15:47

Plan: own modified
Stats: 238/212/176 Female 180
BF:
Progress: 42%

Thank you for that comment - I am understanding it correctly then that if I ate the carbs although the scales might say I have put on 5 pounds this would be water which I would have to get into ketosis to get rid of. A one day carb binge of say 2500 would not put on any fat.

I'm not intending to do this but feel that I need to understand all this as if I have a bad day I don't want to look at the scales, see an increase of 5 pounds and then have the feeling why should I bother if it is so easy to put this weight back on again.

I am at the beginning of low carb and realise that it has to be viewed totally differently to low calorie.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 16:10

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much
Progress: 10%

If you already know the outcome, why not just stick with the plan, there is plenty of time to re-introduce carbs later on in moderation. Remember, all the food you're missing will still be there when you hit goal . Binges are very taxing on your system and eating right & exercising cause you to lose weight safely, can't imagine why anyone would bother doing it any other way, but everyone has an off-day of cheating, you just jump back on the wagon and start over

LL
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 17:40

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 237/182/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Well, sometimes one can binge without meaning to . . . We went out to dinner last night while highway travelling and my DH made a special effort to get us to a steakhouse so that I could stay "on plan". I ordered Diet Coke as a drink (okay, it has aspartame, but I'd had a whole weekend of drinking nothing but water) and guzzled it right back. The waiter then magically made another tall frosty glass appear, and I had drunk about half when I started to wonder: was this really Diet Coke? It tasted pretty sweet -- although I'm no longer a good judge, if you know what I mean -- and I was wondering just how well I had articulated the "Diet" part of my drink request. I also started to regret that I hadn't stuck with water.

And this morning -- up about seven pounds. Some of that I can attribute to normal monthly water retention stuff, but seven?

Needless to say, no more fountain drinks for me at restaurants. If it doesn't come in a bottle or a can, I'll stick to water, thanks.