Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Gut Health, Candida & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 09:32

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%
Default Help - need antibiotics!

Well, I can't take it anymore, I need an antibiotic. Have upper resp. infection, ear infection, sinus infection. Been trying to doctor this on my own, because of the Candida, I DO NOT want to be on antibiotics. But I am getting worse, and don't want to end up in the hospital, either.

Any advice from anyone? I am thinking massive doses of probiotics while I am on the medicine. But when to take it, and how much? Should I still take the yeast supps while on the antibiotics?

Any help would be much appreciated. I feel like I am making alot of headway with this yeast thing, and now this.

Thanks, everyone!!

-Jess
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 21:06

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 298/265/145
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Get WELL Jess!

Oh Jess I'm sorry you're feeling so poorly.

Now - I know you feel bad, but you struck me as a great researcher. So - since you might not feel like surfing, I'm gonna throw out some suggestions.

Trust your instincts , but have you considered -
herbal - as in echinacea (sp?)
goldenseal
others..
(a good health food store could suggest more)

I can't recall - do you know colloidal silver? I've used it hourly before, in a health crisis to stop the conjestion, with good results & with no ill effect.

What about salt water irrigation? kind of gross - but just imagine going under the waves - and figure out how to get it up your nose & down your throat (I snort it from cupped hands - a friend uses a special device - I've heard even eye droppers work). One caution - personally I only use distilled water & sea salt for this one, mixed salty enough to taste (not sure about tap water on the mucous membranes). I use this mostly for sinus headaches - from 2 - 4 times per day if needed.

Now this is even stranger, but I swear it works (course it drives people away too) - which is garlic for your ears. Again - the health food stores sell an oil - but I have done the home remedy route & used smashed up garlic with a cotton ball ear plug - whew, I stunk for days. (but my ears did improve - probably so I wouldn't do that again ) LOL

Do keep up your probiotics no matter what . I was just surprised to see them as the 1st recommendation in "Prescription for Nutrutional Healing" book, under cold and under sinus. The book talks about Vit. C of course (I like EsterC cause you can take so much of it without stomach distress), as well as quercitin and other antioxidents. Everyone seems to rely on zinc lozenges (I've never been able to stand them, myself)

Good Luck, Feel Better, Dump those toxins, Do What's Best for Your Body NOW!

Let us hear how you're feeling -
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 14:53

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%

Hi, Earthlight, thanks for the advice. Against my better judgement, I started on the Augmentin. Starting to feel better, will mop up the yeast mess later. Everyone in my house is sick, and I need to take care of them, so the antibiotics were the quickest way.

I did try something natural, some of the ingredients in Candistroy were what you recommended. Goldenseal, garlic. The good news is, although it didn't kill off my sinus/bronchial infection, I experienced no die-off symptoms. And I was taking the largest dose possible, twice daily. Did that for two days. I am hoping the majority of the yeast is gone. Except for what I am "regrowing" now. I am taking TONS of Vit. C, have the powder kind, and am taking about 2-3 grams a day. Also taking my probiotics, daily vitamin, b-complex, cal/mag/D. Taking it easy. Not eating very well, but trying to still low carb, just small quantities, just not hungry. Well, did I say taking it easy? I am taking care of two sick kids, and a really really sick hubby. Thank God the dog is healthy!

Yes, I have heard of colloidal silver. I never thought to try it, but I am in no shape to get to the health food store, anyway. I do have the saline nose drops. They give me the shivers. Silly, I know.

Well, just wanted to drop in and lurk for awhile. Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I feel like a quitter for taking the antibiotic, but like I said, I have to keep moving. If mom goes down, the whole ship goes down!

Have a great day!!

-Jess