Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 08:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/196/135
BF:
Progress: 13%
Angry I Just Wanted One Meal!

I JUST WANTED TO EAT ONE MEAL. MY FAMILY TOOK ME OUT FOR MOTHERS DAY AND I CANT GET BACK ON A LOW CARB DIET OF ANY KIND!!! MY HUSBAND IS DOING SO WELL AND I FEEL LIKE A FAILURE. YESTERDAY I WENT TO THE GROCERY STORE AND I WALKED AROUND TRYING TO FIND SOMETHING FOR SUPPER. I COULD NOT FIND ONE LOW CARB FOOD I WANTED TO EAT. ALL I WANT IS RICE AND POTATOES AND MAC & CHEESE ETC... AFTER 2 HOURS I LEFT THE STORE WITH A PIZZA THAT I SPLIT WITH MY DAUGHTER. I DID OK TODAY, SO FAR. BUT I WANT JAPANESE, MOSTLY THE RICE! I HOPE I DONT EAT IT ! I HAVE FELT BAD ALL WEEK!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 09:59

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

carbs are addictive--and we're not being metaphorical when we say that! They change your brain chemistry, in particular giving short-term serotonin and endorphin rushes. But regular use will also mess up your brain chemistry so that you cannot produce those happy chemicals on your own. The cravings are real, very similar to what crack or heroin addicts feel, and hard to break.

The only thing to do is to break them. In 2-5 days of abstenance, the cravings will be gone. you CAN do it--honest!--and it'll be hard, but just make a plan.

Eat plenty while you are going through withdrawals. I wouldn't worry about limiting cheese or bacon even...just eat plenty of zero or trace-carb foods. Drink plenty of water, warm tea, and consomme, too, to stay full. Be distracted! (If you work outside of the home, often Monday is an easier day to start than Friday...at least you know you'll be busy 10 hours Monday-Friday and less likely to eat). Plan alternative activities--big, messy, hands-on projects are good (who can eat while cleaning out the garage or spreading three yards of compost in the garden?)
Stay away from the TV with its endless parade of carby food sales pitches.

Even with that plan, there may be difficult moments those first couple of days. Keep all carbs out of the house for that week--your family will not die if they don't have candy and chips for a week. (Your DH could take the kids out for an ice cream without you, if they have a sugar-drug emergency one night)

At the end of detox (whew!), you'll know now that getting back into carbs is dangerous. Most of have had your experience...and it teaches a deep respect for the power of our particular drug. You're not weak or bad, you're just hooked on junk food. You can change, and you will.

HTH!