Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 15:42
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 238/224/140
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default question on meat fast

I am doing the "just meat" thing today through this friday.

I want to know some opinions on wether it is okay to have a daily icee, made of shaved ice and 0-carb, 0 calorie Torani syrup.

I would figure it is safe since nutritionally there is nothing much in it.

thanks

Lori
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 17:06
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Since you are making up your own diet, then you get to decide what's legal on it.

This is the Atkins forum for people following the Atkins plan.

Sorry to be a bit brusque.

Beth
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 18:00
Former Couch Potato

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Maybe someone else has more info, but I'm pretty sure if you eat too much protein the excess is converted to glucose. Why did you decide to do a meat fast? I've never heard of that before.

K.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 18:27
Registered Member

Stats: 300/257/150
BF:
Progress: 29%

Dr. Atkins does mention in his book two scientists that were impressed with the health of Inuit (?) eskimos, and they ate pretty much just meat/fish. These two men decided to eat nothing but meat for a year, and they did great on it, their cholesterol and BP readings were great, and they lost alot of weight. But I don't know if he actually advises that for others - I think he was just using it as an example of how eliminating carbs can be good for us. Come to think of it, maybe that was in the Protein Power book, not Atkins?? Sorry, I'm drawing a blank.

In any case, I think that you should at least include some veggies with that meat! If nothing else, eating just meat will bind you (constipate).
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 19:00

Stats: 194/164/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

I saw a television special on the Inuit once and the reason they were able to eat only meat was because they mostly ate it raw and they ate various organs (kidneys, liver, heart, brains, eyeballs) (yes, eyeballs!) that provided essential nutrients.

I can't imagine that a meat-only fast would be very healthy. Would sure be hard on the colon I'd guess.

Pam
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 19:01
Registered Member

BF:

I am doing it as a minor jumpstart.

Sorry to be a bit brusque.

I have been lurking here long before I ever posted and I expect it as the norm around here, which is why I don't really post much.

This is the Atkins forum for people following the Atkins plan.

whatever. sorry I don't follow it religiously as I am sure you and everyone else does.

I guess I will find another forum, so sorry for intruding here on your atkins board.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 19:02

Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

I think Lori is talking about the meat fast on www.lowcarbluxury.com web site. Here is the link:

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/beginners.html and scroll to the bottom of the page.

This fast is a temporary solution to help jump start if you are stalled (instead of doing the fat fast recommended in the Atkins book.)

It does state...

Quote:
But no soda, no tea, no coffee, no low-carb specialty products

So I would think that the Icees are out, especially since it also says

Quote:
and drink lots and lots and lots of water

I would say that anything besides what is recommended would not be appropriate. Also, please remember, this is only for a stall. A true stall last for several weeks, if not months or years. Hope this helps.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 19:03
Registered Member

BF:

I can't imagine that a meat-only fast would be very healthy.

It isn't if you do it for a long period of time, which is why I am doing it for only a few days.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 19:06
Registered Member

BF:

theresa113: Thank you for the links. I appreciate it. You state low-carb isn't allowed but I was inquiring about no-carb, which the syrup brands are.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 19:11

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%

I have tried to eat only protein and I really got sick I felt awful until I ate some veggies. I thought it would help me lose weight faster it didn't. Pat S

Oh Yuck Raw Eyeballs
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 19:17

Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

Lori,

I have never done the meat fast but have been intrigued so I really can't say. All I can do is make an assumption.

Is there any aspertame or another sweetner in it? I couldn't find it on the internet so I have no clue. If it has any sweetner or glycerine, I would avoid it during the fast. But that is from somebody who can't imagine 3 days without something besides meat and eggs.

Wish I could give you more info! Sorry I am not much help in this. Only other suggestion is that you may want to email Lori from Low Carb Luxury. She may know since she has it posted on her site.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 19:23
Registered Member

BF:

Theresa: I looked at the link and it gave me a better idea what is permitted. The syrup is made with splenda and has 0 carbs but it also does contain glycerine so I probably will hold off on it until this weekend. Thanks again
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 19:28
Registered Member

Stats: 195/155/158 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 108%
Default Stalls, how discouraging!

Lori,

I am pretty much a lurker, myself. However, I would like to encourage you to not think that most people here are "brusque."
They truly aren't. Don't give up on this great site, just because you ran into one of them, please..........

As for the meat fast, I think that most of us would recognize the name Doreen. On her low-carb tips page she says:

"There are several "Stall Buster" fasts that are popular and successful at jumpstarting the weight and fat-loss. They are meant to be temporary, not long term. Most popular is The Doctor's Quick Weight Loss Diet also known as "Stillman's". This is a high-protein, low-fat, almost-zero-carb program. No cheese or cream, butter fats or oils, no veggies or salads. And buckets and buckets of water. Another popular plateau breaker is Dr. Atkin's Fat Fast , which is just as it sounds. You restrict yourself to 1,000 calories per day, with 90% of those calories in the form of FAT. A third stall buster that some have found helpful is the Meat Fast . Again, it's just as it sounds, meat, meat and more meat, and not a heck of a lot else. A little fat or oil can be used to cook and dress the meat, but nothing else. And no coffee or tea. Water, water, water. "

So, you are not being removed as one of us, okay?

Let me know how it works for you. I tried the fat fast in DANDR after six weeks of no size and no weight loss, and it earned me a 2 pound whoosh, that has stayed off.

It is too soon to think I am stalled again, but the fact that I haven't lost any since the 2 lbs has me concerned. Ah, well, it came on slow, yada yada yada.....

Take care of your body, above all.
Elizabeth
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 19:40
Registered Member

BF:

Elizabeth:

am pretty much a lurker, myself. However, I would like to encourage you to not think that most people here are "brusque."

I have only been here a few weeks and have seen countless rude responses to legitimate questions.

did you read the book? HUUUU???? Did ya??

Go read the book then come back

and things of this nature. People would not be posting their questions if they did not want an answer and not some high and mightly know it all to tell them to "go read the book", or This is the Atkins forum for people following the Atkins plan.

there are a lot of good low carb and Atkins forums out there and I would prefer to post on one where posters are not treated rude. NO I am not just speaking of my question I asked here, I am speaking of others who I see responded to in a rude fashion on a frequent basis.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 19:59

Stats: 402/234/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 69%

I agree with your Loril. The purpose of a forum is to have a wide discussion. Rude people (forum moderators or not) drive posters away. Thus killing the discussion.
Closed Thread