Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-13-02, 12:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/137/120
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default sugar-free ice cream - dammit

Hi all - my bad, I read a thread saying one could get sugar-free ice cream at La Casa Gelato in Van so went and picked up a litre of vanilla this weekend and learned while there it was sweetened with fructose. Not knowing what this meant (learned this morning it's a form of sugar to avoid) I thought it would be ok. Haven't eaten any yet, but can anyone tell me (I'm still on induction):

1) what the carb rating on this type of ice cream would be? and
2) Where I can get sugar-free ice cream in VAncouver that doesn't have fructose sweetening?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-13-02, 13:02

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

While in induction.......you are not allowed ice cream.

Go back and re read the section of Atkin's that covers induction. There are 4 pages of approved foods. If a food is not on that list, it shouldn't be in your diet.

The purpose of induction is to break carbohydrate addiction. You can not do this while consuming cheesecakes and ice cream.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-13-02, 19:51

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Yep icecream isnt allowed on induction but after you get off induction you can make your own sf icecream. I have made some once and it come to about 5.6 carbs for a 1/2 cup serving.. heavy cream regular cream and splenda and vanill flavoring... so its made from legal foods... :-) now you have something to look forward to when you get done with induction.. but still all things in moderation.

Tammy
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-14-02, 16:59

Plan: Protein Power LP Dilletan
Stats: 164/145/138 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default Sugar-free ice cream is available

Whitey's ice cream is made with Splenda (a sugar substitute) and is available at some walmarts or for delivery by internet order:

https://www.secureserver.com/whiteys/nosugar.html
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 07:11

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default Sugar Free Ice Cream in BC

It was posted on another message board that people in BC (at least the lower mainland) can obtain sugar free ice cream at IGA Plus....they carry Nestle's Legend Sugar Free Ice Cream as well as another brand called Mountain Pride. I have no idea about the ingredients of Mountain Pride but I have seen the Legend Ice Cream here in NB with the main sweetner component being aspartame..... flavors so far are vanilla and chocolate dream

Bonnie
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 12:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%
I discovered why the few sugar free commercially made ice creams still have so many more carbs than homemade ice cream. For instance, Breyer's no sugar ice cream has 14 carbs per one half cup, but the ice cream I make has 6 carbs in a cup.

The difference is that the commercially made ice creams are made with non-fat milk powder, which of course has many more carbs than the heavy cream I use.

I found this information in the University of Guelph web site, in the notes for a class in ice cream making for food science majors.

I sure wish someone would make a truly low carb ice cream for those times when I don't feel like making it myself. Or do I have to become the LC Ben & Jerry? :grin:

Karla