Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-02, 09:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/261/160
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Keto products on Induction?

I'v noticed alot of people are raving about these Keto shakes and I was wondering if it is okay to have these on induction. I have been on the diet for a while, but I'm trying to go back to induction and I need a change for breakfast. Also is Flax-O-meal okay also.

I was just wondering before I buy these products.

Thanks to anyone that can help
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-02, 15:32

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi there.....

If you are doing Induction, no LC products are allowed. You'll find the list of the foods that are allowed during induction on pages 124 to 129 of the latest edition of DANDR.

Marlaine
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 13:46

Stats: 215/180/160
BF:
Progress: 64%

I see conflicting information on this. The book seems to tell you to avoid bread products completely, yet when you look at the sample menu, there are a couple low carb products listed. The web site also has some low carb products (pancakes, muffins) mentioned as well in the induction menus.

I guess it is up to you in the end. Just remember to include them in your total carb count.

I am on induction and made a loaf of low carb bread so the rest of the family can have some. I actually had a slice with my eggs yesterday and added the carbs (2) into my total for the day.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 15:37

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

The induction chapter does not include anything but whole natural foods.

Yes I know it shows conflicting information on his web site and in the sample menu's however you need to remember one thing.....keto products make them more money and that is the name of their game.

Stick with the induction chapter for best results. You are suppose to be detoxing and breaking the carb addiction cycle during the first two weeks and you don't really do that if you are drinking shakes and eating "frankenfoods".

#5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 12:49
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 300/247/150
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Atkins's book most certainly does allow LC products

Take a look at pp. 232 -235. Dr. Atkins list one week menus for induction. Right there in his book, he suggests low carb shake as a snack.

LC shakes are within the scope of Atkins' allowable induction foods if you look at low carb shake ingredients. I challenge someone to point out what ingredient in a LC shake would be wrong for induction? Protein is allowed, nutritional supps are allowed, artificial sweetener is allowed, cream is allowed.

It amazes me how people seem to confuse their opinions with facts.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 13:27

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Isabel et al,

I have been on this forum for the past 16 months and I have seen what keto shakes, Atkin's protein bars etc etc (frankenfoods) cause.

They tend to cause people to stall. Which is why from past experience of watching others frustration RECOMMEND people stay away from them for induction period. It's not an opinion, it is based on facts of watching others stall out on wiegh loss because of these things.

There are no shakes listed on the four pages of induction lists of legal foods. Yes they are on the sample menus and his web site.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 13:33
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

The reason you sometimes see information that conflicts with what Atkins recommends is that sometimes we advise based on our experience.... our own personal experience and the experience of the many members that pass this way. We don't have a book or shakes or bars to sell....we just want people to succeed.

Take what information is useful to you and leave the rest!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 13:51

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post Induction shakes..

I did not eat/drink any shakes or bars during Induction...

...call me a purist, but I was so dedicated to losing weight and doing things rights that I decided I would run a clean program for 2 weeks in order to get the best chances for success at LCing.

I DID add some skaes and bars to my initial provisions for Induction, but after reading posts in this forum, I tossed them all in the trash unopened. I guess I can't say with all certainty that they would have casued me to stall, but I'm glad that I tossed them. By the end of Induction, I had no desire for them.

I do eat a Keto bar almost every day now. But I feel I'm in control and I know my carb limits. I'd ditch them in a minute if I thought they were stalling me. YMMV .

BTW, giving myself that "clean" start has ehlped me lose more than 90lbs since Janaury.

Good luck to you all!

Donald
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 14:39

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by TeriDoodle
Take what information is useful to you and leave the rest!

Exactly.

The information provided here is offered as support and advice. It isn't carved in stone or 'law'. Advice is solicited. Advice is extended. What works for one person may not work for another, but it may help someone else who comes along after the fact.

No one here is paid or renumerated for their services. We are not pushing a book or a product line - we just want to help others succeed. And perhaps reach our own goals along the way.

Nat
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 18:58

Plan: SBD/Atkins
Stats: 176.6/172.2/105 Female 62"
BF:40%/40%/18%
Progress: 6%
Default Plateauing...probably shakes...

Well, I'm stuck in some kind of weird plateau for the last 4 weeks. Eating less than 20 grams of carbs, can't get into ketosis and sway between 155 (happy day) and 159 (POd day) on a daily basis. This so frustrating.
Any ideas? I'm guessing it's the shakes. It was such a nice sweet treat and easy fix for a fast meal but all of a sudden no more consistent weight loss.

Nat and Agonycat- help! I'm still stuck in the calory mindset but I'm trying to be scientific here. I substituted breakfast and a snack with the shakes due to time and a sweet tooth. The Keto shakes are around 200 calories and 1 net carb which is about 400 cals less than my cheese, eggs and nuts snacks. Wouldn't this deficit in calories facilitate weight loss??

By the way- Nat your new picture is gorgeous!!

Any advice will be appreciated!
Nancy
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 21:40

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Nancy, I replied to you in your Journal

Nat
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-02, 10:03

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Sorry all, but I've had a busy week with company from out of town and hadn't had a chance to get back to this thread.

Further reading and searching of the latest edition of DANDR, and I came up with the following:

From the "Rules of Induction" on page 123:
Quote:
5. Eat nothing that is not on the acceptable foods list. And that means absolutely nothing! Your "just this one taste won't hurt" rationalization is the kiss of failure during this phase of Atkins.

Then, still in the "Rules of Induction" on page 129:
Quote:
Although it is important that you eat primarily unprocessed foods, some controlled carb food products can come in handy when you are unable to find appropriate food, can't take time for a meal or need a quick snack. As I mentioned earlier, more and more companies are creating healthy food products that can be eaten during the Induction phase of Atkins. Just remember two things:

1. Not all convenience food products are the same, so check labels and carbohydrate content. I can vouch for any product carrying the Atkins brand name!

2. While any of these foods can make doing Atkins easier, don't overdo it. Remember, you must always follow the Rules of Induction.

So, my new understanding is that "Keto" products are in fact allowed on Induction within the above boundaries set by Atkins. In spite of that, anecdotal information gathered on this forum indicates that use of those products slows and stalls many of us. Others are able to enjoy them with no ill effects. Go ahead and use them if that is your choice, with the codicil YMMV.

Marlaine