Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 13:07
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo/ NEANDERTHIN
Stats: 175/161/168
BF:4%
Progress: 200%
Default Any merit to "Metabolic Typing"?

I've done some reading on "Metabolic Typing" diets that suggest that some people do better on a diet that includes more low glycemic index friuts, grains, and legumes....these people, they suggest, would not do well on a low-carb/high fat diet. Has anyone here tried this type of diet? Does anyone have an opinion as to why low-carb is better? As a bodybuilder and avid exersize fanatic, I have tried both....but for health, I didn't need to lose weight. I found that I lost too much strength and too much weight on a diet that was low in fat and moderate on good carbs despite eating plenty of calories. I have actually gained weight, following a low carb plan religiously, with very little of that gain in bodyfat. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 17:37
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

I really believe it. I have seen many people who have not done well on Atkins or another high protein diet do well on one that had more carbs. We've also seen people who are very healthy on a lower fat, whole grain/fruit WOE. Further we have seen those individuals who seem to eat a heavily carb diet with no adverse affects. Why should everyone be the same or eat the same?

I don't think it's a matter of which WOE is better. I feel that it's which WOE is better for an individual's particular metabolic type. Of course saying that I feel that highly processed foods and sugar are good for no one in the long run though carbo types tolerate them better.

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Fri, Jul-11-03 at 17:40.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 18:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216.4/188/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I believe the book entitled "Eat Right for Your Type" by Dr. D'Adamo may explain this. He states it's basically a blood type phenomenon. For example, Type O people will lose weight better on Atkins, whereas, Type A people lose best eating veggies and pineapple.

He says the significance of blood type can be found in the story of human evolution, i.e, Type O is the oldest with the caveman-type diet; Type A evolved with the change to an agricultural society; Type B emerged as humans migrated north into colder, harsher climates; and Type AB is a modern adaptation which is a result of the intermingling of the 3 groups.

Last edited by Mellow : Fri, Jul-11-03 at 18:44.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 22:52

Plan: low carb for life
Stats: ???/???/??? Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I own and have read both books: 'The Metabolic Typing Diet' and 'Eat Right Four Your Type'. As far as I'm concerned they both have been of great benefit for me. The reason being, I am an 'O' blood type and tested 48 of 65 for the protein type in the MTD test. They have confirmed that LC is what will work for me. I didn't read the books until after I had lost my weight so they were not instrumental in my weight loss but they have helped me to understand better what is going on in my body. I have a very interesting book now that I'm reading 'Food Addiction The Body Knows'. It absolutely nails me. As far as MTD for other metabolic types, I don't know if it works for them. I don't know of anyone else who has read the book.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 06:22
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

I have. Plum has. Allura has. Plum was on Atkins for 2 years and gained 12 pounds. She didn't really start losing until she combined CAD/MTD and protein power. She's a protein type and the high fat of Atkins would put weight on her very quickly. Allura lost well on Atkins for about a year and then stalled for a long time. She didn't start losing again until she upped the protein and reduced the fat.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 11:14

Plan: low carb for life
Stats: ???/???/??? Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Boy do I understand. Mine is definitely a high protein not a high fat diet. And even on maintainance I don't think I'll ever get over 30g of carbs a day. Sure is great to have the resources to help us understand isn't it. I'm also with you all the way about each woe having to be completely individualized. I learned a long time ago that what works for me will not necessarily work for anyone else. Utopia would be 'them' finally getting that insight. LOL
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 11:17

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

I truly believe different things work for different people

Last edited by RickinTN : Sat, Jul-12-03 at 11:19.