Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 15:49
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 160/160/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Atkins Cookie mix/baking mix (Induction)

At the local GNC store where I was buying subject goodies, another customer said "Oh, no! You can't use those (nor the Advantage or Endulge bars) in the Induction phase." The sample menu includes zuccini bread made w/the baking mix. This is our first day, so I'm still feeling my way.

OK to have V-8 in the morning if I count the carbs? What about pickles?

Thanks. So far so good as far as feeling crummy goes. (Although I'm craving something sweet)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 16:08
~strange as angels~

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/249/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:51%/49%/30%
Progress: 7%

You can't use the baked goods in the induction phase, nor the Endulge bars. That is, you can't use the baked goods in the first two weeks of the induction phase.

The jury still seems to be out as to whether or not you can use the Advantage bars during induction phase... I've been told both. I used them sparingly during induction & continued to lose, but they can cause a stall for some. YMMV.

Last edited by spiderdust : Mon, Jun-09-03 at 16:13.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 16:37
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 160/160/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default advantage bars

do wonder I'm confused! Where would I find this info?

The sample menus under Atkins 101 does include the zuccini bread for breakfast (w/cream cheese). I'm not an egg eater.

What about pickles? The Atkins shake mix?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 17:51
~strange as angels~

Stats: 256/249/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:51%/49%/30%
Progress: 7%

Dill pickles should be ok, and I think the shakes are ok on occasion.

From the Atkins website, here's the Rules Of Induction.

It is a bit confusing though, when it says "don't eat this" but then suggests eating it in the menu. My interpretation of it was to not eat that stuff during the first two weeks while you train your body to burn fat differently, but afte those two weeks you can ease them in, while still keeping your carb counts down. At least that's what seems to be working for me!

If you're not an egg eater, will you still eat quiche? Crustless quiche is what I had many mornings. I'd mix cheese, cream, eggs, and crisp bacon together with some seasonings & (maybe some spinach), liberally butter a glass pie plate and pour the mixture in and bake. It would make breakfast for my entire week.

I kept a bag of precooked sausage patties in my fridge during the first few weeks too (either buy 'em precooked or cook your own ahead of time); those were handy to grab as I ran out the door.

You can also have a ham & cheese "sandwich" in the morning: a slice of cheese sandwiched in between two slices of ham. Add more ham if you don't think it's filling enough.

Low carb cheese cake (with no crust) makes a nice breakfast too!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 17:59
Registered Member

Plan: ckd/keto/atkins
Stats: 225/210/170 Male 65
BF:22% and goin down
Progress: 27%

OK while you might think that, it says under 2g net carbs for indulge bars and under 10g net carbs for most recipes with atkins cake mixes. If you stay under 20g you should be in ketosis firmly and adequately.
Can anyone explain, if you DO eat under 20g a day, whats the harm in implementing these, as i have done, and still losing?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 18:15

Stats: 379.0/339.0/330.6 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 83%

I just recently ordered from Atkins Catalog and in that catalog it has lighted parts of 4 phases. The induction phase is in orange and everything that youwant to purchase or can eat in this induction phase (which is longer than two weeks if you have alot of weight to lose like myself) has that orange beside it and Advantage is the snack that you can have. Good Luck!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 09:13

Stats: 166/155.5/135
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default V-8

Not sure if someone already answered this, but V-8 is a no-no on induction. Tomato is a fruit, and juices are way down on the carbohydrate ladder (the order in which you add foods back during OWL.)
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 10:38
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally posted by dan_mc3
OK while you might think that, it says under 2g net carbs for indulge bars and under 10g net carbs for most recipes with atkins cake mixes. If you stay under 20g you should be in ketosis firmly and adequately.
Can anyone explain, if you DO eat under 20g a day, whats the harm in implementing these, as i have done, and still losing?

Only for some people. Many people will attest that the supposed 2 grams of carbs those bars with the other 22 or so subtracted because they are not supposed to effect you, do have full effect.

Fake foods=money in their pockets. They can tell you what they want to tell you, but one of the first things people here recommend when someone says they are not losing is to lose the bars. Even when weight loss doesn't stop, the taste of sweet can cause cravings for more sweet things.

Sometimes a person will lose okay eating those products and then they'll stop losing and we still recommend you get rid of them.

I think it's better not to use a crutch in the first place.

Beth
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 11:37
Registered Member

SO you're saying Im going to stall? Why would that be, if Im under caloric needs (AMR) eating protein fat and no carbs, yet the atkins bars (which have helped me to lose before???) I have no clue why someone would stall, it must be something else.
What do you think
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 11:49
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I'm saying it effects some people.

Fake sugar causes insulin levels to rise and then fall in some people making them more prone to store fat than to burn it.

No carbs? That's not Atkins...get your 20 carbs from green veggies. It's more than about losing weight, it's about being healthy while you lose weight.

Beth
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 15:12
Registered Member

Right I doubt anyone would be able to go 0 carbs, its damn near impossible.
Anway, for the sake of not regurgitating information, I hope that it doesnt affect me the way youre saying. And Ill keep being healthy.