Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 17:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287/240/140
BF:
Progress: 32%
Question Effective carbs VS Hidden carbs

I have read on some lowcarb products that:

Effective Carb Count (ECC) is determined by subtracting those carbohydrates that have a negligible effect on blood sugar level from total carbohydrates. Examples include fiber and glycerine.

But I have also read on this message board that, for example lowcarb bars, that they stall weight loss. In one bar, on the label it contains 24g of carbohydrates but it is said effective carbs are 3g.

My question is: Should I consider that I am eating 24g of carbs or really 3g of carbs???? I am confused as to what I should be counting as carbs.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 23:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/148/115
BF:
Progress: 6%

I read on the Atkins muffins I had that they had 6 carbs but to only count them as 2 b/c of dietary fiber. If it says to only count them as 3 then why not. But if people say they slow weight loss you might not want to eat them at all.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 00:34

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Well... it is a fact that fiber goes right through you. That you can definitely subtract.

There is a debate when it comes to other "indigestible" carbs. Glycerine, maltitol, sorbitol, etc. affect some people as if they are carbs. The only way for you to know how YOU do, is to experiment. Weigh your options. Generally, I do fine with them, but try to avoid them as much as possible due to all the horror stories.

Try reading the quick link to your right "The truth about low carb sweeteners info".
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 02:05
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Effective carbs VS Hidden carbs

If you have a good, solid way of eating that you are happy with and don't freak out when your weight fluctuates and are losing weight, then the sugar alcohols and glycerine have no impact on you.

But, if you are not losing and your WOE is solid and you are eating the bars, you may want to consider giving them the boot.

It's only something you can determine for yourself.

My opinion? I would rather eat my mousepad with Da Vinci syrup on it!

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 15:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/214/195
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Karen.....

The link to lowcarb.ca on your web site does not work - it points to lowcarber.ca, instead of lowcarb.ca

johnny web guy