Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 22:37
Registered Member

Plan: south beach
Stats: 215/212.5/125 Female 5'2"
BF:too/drn/mch
Progress: 3%
Default Hypo and soy

Hi Folks!

I was wondering if anyone here had taken soy out of their diets and if so was it helping with the weight loss and hypothyroidism's symptoms? I have read a lot lately about the adverse effects of soy and thyroids. My pantry was full of lo carb stuff that contained soy and I have only lost 2 pounds in almost a month.

Thanks
Ellie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 10:18

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 273/-/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 27%
Post Soy and Hypo.

I can only tell you that from my experience with doing lc and having hypothyroidism that I avoid all products with soy. I found that it was keeping me from loosing weight.

Someone told me the best way to do lc is to keep it real. So I try to avoid the lc snacks and most lc products because of that.

I also started reading lables very closely to see if they contain soy. If they do I put the product back on the shelve and look for something else.

Hope this helps, but only you will be able to determine if it is affecting you.

Good Luck with your weight loss.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 10:54

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Unfermented soy is poison to hypoT's - no ifs ands or buts. It suppresses thyroid function via both its goitrogens and phytoestrogens. It works so well that it is often used for hyperthyroid patients to help relieve some of their symptoms. One study on human subjects who consumed just one ounce of unfermented soy per day for three months showed depressed thyroid function, with some of them developing goiters. They all returned to normal after discontinuing the soy.

Here is a pretty detailed interview on Soy at thyroid.about.com:

http://thyroid.about.com/od/bookssu...interview_2.htm
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 11:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 303.5/283.5/170 Female 5'11'
BF:
Progress: 15%

soy kills me. i notice a significant drop in energy within an hour after consuming it. it is definately poison for me, and i'm glad to be rid of it. but you have to be careful, it's in everything!! read those labels carefully.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-05, 16:11

Plan: low fat/low cal
Stats: 135/134/115 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default soy bad for thyroids

hey) when i first started on the atkins diet about a year ago i was so thrilled to be able to eat the low carb bars and soforth, BUT becuase of my underactive thyroid, i GAINED 15 LBS! SO, i totally cut out soy and now i am losing weight. I also make sure that i work out alot too. so that helps.
hope that helped you some. Amanda