Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 17:59
Registered Member

Plan: A little of everything
Stats: 134/131/126 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 38%
Question What to eat during LONG road trip??

Can you give me suggestions for eating on the road? My family of 5 is driving from DFW to Santa Barbara CA. next week and I am able to take a long a mid-sized cooler. Any ideas? I am trying to keep my calories under 100 fyi. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 18:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/139/125
BF:
Progress: 44%

Atkins shakes and bars, deli meat.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 18:17

Plan: low carb for life
Stats: ???/???/??? Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I will be doing a road trip of 1200 miles myself next week. I like to pack hard boiled eggs, baked chicken (I like it cold), and jerky. If you like pork rinds they are great for snacking (my husband eats them but I don't). My family does not like it when I break open an egg in the car (pew). I on the other hand struggle when the are munching on Fritos so I guess it evens out.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 18:36

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%
Default Macadamia nuts

and pecans, if you don't have trouble with nuts. (ie mold). Bring lots of bottled water. Since you have a cooler you can have lettuce and other vegetables. When I pre-cut vegetables, I put them in separate sandwich containers. The kind you could throw away if you wanted. (Glad). I wouldn't worry too much about lettuce if your family is planning to hit any fast food places, you could get some there. Speaking of which, wet wipes and maybe a package of paper plates and paper towels (gee, toilet paper too, you know how those rest stops are ). For those bunless burgers or grilled chickens. Bring your s/f condiments. And dip for your pork rinds, or Atkins chips. (Haven't personally tried them yet). Buffalo wings. Canned sardines. Good with pork rinds. (and major phew points. ) Canned chicken and tuna (pack some mayo, I don't know if you can still get those in squeeze packets. You might check camping supply stores.) Pack a manual can opener too. And some plastic ware. If you don't mind your vegetables room temp, you could bring canned vegetables too.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 04:23
Registered Member

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 207/200/180 Male 170 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 26%

I did a long road trip this weekend and brought my own food:
Chicken (already in pieces, easy to eat without a fork), cheese, hard boiled eggs, ham and nuts. We just stopped and shopped some cold mineral water to have with it. It was much better than stopping at McDonalds as we usually do.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 16:38

Plan: low carb for life
Stats: ???/???/??? Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default YUM

I just tried the Atkins Crunchers (Nacho Cheese flavor). They were really good. Will have in the car with me this week.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 20:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/138/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Re: What to eat during LONG road trip??

Quote:
Originally posted by fitmom23
Can you give me suggestions for eating on the road? My family of 5 is driving from DFW to Santa Barbara CA. next week and I am able to take a long a mid-sized cooler. Any ideas? I am trying to keep my calories under 100 fyi. Thanks!

We just got back from Montana (to Seattle) and I took a cooler full of string cheese and deli meat and LOTS of water. Too bad I don't like cheese but hubby ate that.