Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 09:34
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 173/166/150 Female 5.8" or 1,73 m
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default question(s) for TrainerDan

Hi Dan,

I approach you after having read quite a few threads by you, and you seem to be the expert who's advice I need.

I have been doing SB since January 5, rigorously sticking to the induction phase (in fact, BOTH times I did phase I), and having had the "success" of losing 1.5 lbs. to date. Mind you, I've been down as much as 6 lbs., but they don't seem to stay....

I was VERY excited about this diet, and think I have been patient to stick with it for almost 4 months. My goal was to lose 15-20 lbs. until mid May, which I didn't--and still don't--consider utopic or unrealistic. However, as you can see from my stats and as I have just said, I am not even close to my goal.

Perhaps you should also know that I work out 3-5 times a week (yes, I know it could be more), 3-4 times are squash, the other one is a high impact aerobics class. I also drink tons o' water during the day.... so I _think_ I have been doing everything in my power.

The reason I approach you is that I am now, maybe out of desperation, actually considering taking the infamous diet pills, or little helpers, or ECA stacks, or whatever you want to call them, if only to up my motivation ... well, and weight loss, obviously.

I have stayed clear of these "wonderdrugs" so far, because I either believed they didn't work and were a rip-off, or was worried about the ephedra stuff , given the bad press it has gotten -- and frankly, I am too young and happy to die of a stroke just yet ;-)

So my questions are manyfold, and here goes:

I guess the first question is -- are there any "true" ECA combos available anymore (GNC stores or online), given the ban on ephedra? If so, is there a particular one that you recommend?

Or, do you recommend "mixing your own", and if so, how does one go about this. Again, I'd like it to be effective, but not lethal :-)

Is it really safe to take this stuff as long as you don't exceed the recommended dose? I am a healthy, 32 yr. old woman with the only other med I'm taking being birth control. I do smoke socially (when I go out and drink), and drink alcohol on weekends (if that is important to know).

What happens when you go off it? Do you gain it all back?

I may come up with more questions once you have time to answer what I've written so far (and I am sure you are quite busy answering numerous questions from other people)....

Please believe me that I am not looking for a quick fix here. I am dedicated to sticking to the low carb regimen (even though it hasn't exactly been successful, but I like what I eat, in fact, I've pretty much have eaten like that before, except for the occasional chocolate or ice cream treat), but I am now ready for desperate measures....

Thanks for giving me your time, and wisdom....

Tash
Sponsored Links