Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 22:13
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%
Default Help - cold sores!

I’ve searched this forum and can find next to nothing on cold sores. I’ve just got my third outbreak in a row and I’m starting to get concerned! This is my fourth month on Atkins and I’ve been totally free of cold sores until this last couple of weeks. I’ve also started losing more hair than usual but have read the ‘hair loss’ thread and am not too concerned at this stage. Do you think these two problems could be related? I’ve just bought myself some L-lysine to take as a supplement as it’s supposed to help relieve the symptoms but I’m really interested to know if anyone else is having the same problem. Since starting on Atkins my health has never been better but these last couple of weeks have certainly got me thinking that my body may be lacking something.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 14:12

Plan: Primal
Stats: 200/129/125 Female 163cm
BF:26
Progress: 95%

Have you been out in the sun or have you had a hot spell recently. Cold sores can be triggered by strong UV light, heat or cold. I have one at the moment that was triggered last Saturday when I was out in the sun for a long time without sunblock. I have quite a rosy nose too. I use L'Occitane shea butter on my lips and on the sores when they scab to stop them from cracking and bleeding. They heal quicker with it. I never use any treatments, just keep them well moisturised to avoid cracking. Hope this helps.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 14:30

Plan: atkins since 1-21-03
Stats: 210/155/125 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 65%

take the l-lysine on a regular basis to avoid future breakouts.

if you are in a current breakout increase the amount of L-lysine to about 1000-2000 mg and they will clear up very fast, especially if taken at first sign of a breakout, if you catch it early enough the lysine will keep the sore from scabbing - it will basically dry the blister out from the inside.

if the breakout is really really bad you can go to a doctor and ask for shot of lysine to help clear it quickly.

the Merck manual (medical manual) states that lysine will clear it up (so you can tell your doctor to look it up if necessary, so he doesnt think you are crazy)
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 16:28
Say cheese!

BF:

They are certainly not triggered by sun exposure...it's winter down here . I've never really been able to pin down my triggers as I don't lead a stressful life and I'm not a sun worshipper. I just feel at the moment that it must be diet related.
I'm currently taking 1000mg of the l-lysine and will discuss it with my doctor when I go for my first checkup since starting this WOL. Does l-lysine occur naturally in any foods?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 10:30

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default What else has changed?

You're at goal weight; my first wondering would be if that's really too low for your body, but I don't know your height and I would be dead at that weight so I can't tell.

Next wondering would be, what else in your life has changed? Are you doing something new now that you're at goal that you haven't been doing for a while?

Some vitamin deficiencies do take a while to show up, but I don't know which ones might be related to cold sores. I was OK at first and then noticed bruising and had to up my C but it didn't show up for a while.

I get cold sores when I eat tomatos--noticed the connection when I was about 30. Now it turns out green peppers, which are botanically related, also cause problems. Wondering if reaching goal has meant you've reintroduced some foods into your diet that you have been avoiding in the past?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 12:13

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I used to be very prone to cold sores but haven't had any for a very long time (years?). I've been on Atkins since March, so I don't think the WOE itself is the cause; most likely it's an allergy of some type. I second what cs_carver said - examine what you've been eating to see if there's something you've added back that is causing the problems?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 12:32
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

I am usually prone to them I get them every year and in consesion they go then woosh they come back!! I havent had my yearly dose yet!! (touch wood) but I do have a friend who has been l-carbing for a while, who was prone to them and sice this WOE she has never had them. Her hayfever has cleared up and she dosent need her insulin, she controlls her diabeties with the L-carbing.
So fingers crossed once these have gone you may never get them again.
You could be feeling a little run down or stressed out, that sometimes activates them. I usaully get them when I am really tired.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 16:22

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 184/149/125 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 59%

I started getting cold sores day 4 of low carbing. It never went away until I started taking a multi-vitamin. Within 3 days, they completely cleared up and haven't been back. If I forget my vitamins for a few days, I start getting that tingly feeling again.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 17:57
Say cheese!

BF:

Thanks for all your suggestions. Firstly I’m definitely not stressed or underweight, I take multivitamins and diet is the only major change I’ve had in my life in the last few months.
I’ve done some fairly in depth internet searching over the last couple of days and have found some interesting information that may be relevant to my situation.
Apparently there are 2 amino acids – lysine and arginine, that can have an effect on viral diseases. In nutrition, when the ratio of lysine to arginine favours lysine it’s thought to have a beneficial effect in preventing cold sores. When the opposite is true (ratio of lysine to arginine favours arginine) it’s thought to benefit viral replication.
Foods like nuts, seeds and coconut are quite high in arginine and that’s what I’ve been eating a lot more of lately. I eat porridge that has almond meal, flax meal and sunflower meal in it and I also sprinkle granola on top that’s made of nuts, seeds and coconut!
So looks like I’ll have to adjust my diet and see if that helps (boo hoo, I love my porridge!).