Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 08:55

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%
Default my cat ate my flax-o-meal...

My cat ate my flax-o-meal that I didn't finish, and get this, he loved it. He never eats table food, so it's weird he liked it. You think he'll get dysentary from it???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 09:18

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

He'll probably get a nice shiny coat One of my cats, Elvis, steals Vit E pills if you leave them out. We've taken to calling it Vitamin Elvis.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 09:39

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default Found this article

I always wondered why our family cat ate our goldfish. He was after the Omega three!

Omega-3 Fatty Acids Help Cats Too

Omega-3 fatty acids are the rage in human medicine for the prevention of heart attacks but new research shows a broad range of benefits for cats with health problems. Omega-3 fatty acids work by modulating or decreasing the severity of inflammation sent by the body to attack a 'problem'. Often, more damage is caused by the body's response to a problem than the problem itself. For example, a skin reaction to a flea-bite is insignificant until a cat starts scratching and scratching and scratching. The result can be raw, infected skin as a result of the cat's inflammatory response which causes the itching.

Omega-6 fatty acids actually work against Omega-3s and cause a stronger immune response. The main sources of Omega-6 fatty acids are vegetable oils like corn oil and soybean oil while Omega-3 fatty acids are found in fish oil, flax oil and borage oil. It is the ratio of the two types of omega fatty acids in the diet that researchers feel is important. While the optimum ratio has not been defined, aware cat owners should find a ratio betweeen 5:1 and 10:1 Omega-6:Omega-3 fats in their cat's commercial food.

Some think that human and animal diets are too high in Omega-6 fat (vegetable and animal fats) rather than too low in Omega-3s. Adding Omega-3s to a cat's diet has become more common in treating chronic diseases like itching from dermatitis, arthritic diseases, kidney failure and even heart disease. In some species Omega-3s have now shown an anti-cancer effect.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 10:37

Plan: LowCarb since 2/1/08
Stats: 312/312/175 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default kitty with allergies

One of my cats has an allergy, which causes the skin to be irritated and my cat to lick the area until raw. I will try adding the omego 3 into his diet. Do you think that tuna, or tuna juice would do the trick, or is there a better way to give kitty the omega 3? (like breaking the pill in his water????)

Just wondering???
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 10:43
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Default Hi

My cat had the same problem and I gave my cat olive oil caplets and that did the trick.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 10:52

BF:
Default How?

Not to be dumb or anything, but Lessara, how do you give your cat the olive oil?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 12:33

Thanks everyone for the input, I was just concerned about the flax making him sick. So, it may be good for him....that's interesting because he has breathing problems, so maybe it will help his immune system out and he won't wheeze as much.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 14:41

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 241/212.5/150 Female 68 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 31%
Talking

just put the olive oil in the cats food and stir to mix well...
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 14:56

BF:
Default thanks!

Thanks Ays.

They only eat dry food, but I will put it on the food tonight to see if they eat it.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 15:30

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

OK, I've been doing a lot of research on this so here goes:

1. Don't feed your cat tuna from a can. It's toxic to them. The water or oil, however, are fine. I let my cat lick the can after I have removed the tuna.

2. You can add salmon oil to your cat's food and that will be very beneficial (lots of omega 3s). To open the capsule, use a pair of kitchen scissors to slit the end then squeeze. The real problem is that they don't need the whole capsule -- only about 1/4.

If you really want to be kind to your cat and reduce shedding, reduce his/her chances of getting cancer, kidney disease, diabetes, and a host of other feline ailments and to help her/him live a long, active, healthy life, switch him/her to a raw meat diet.

I switched my 19-month-old cat Ruggles to an all meat diet (I use CatInstincTS to supplement the meat) about 4 months ago and I have seen such a difference. He was neutered late (13 months) and so became very indolent and started gaining weight rapidly and he had no control over his eating habits. He was also shedding terribly and had horrible mats in his fur that I had to have shaved. Ruggles is a ragdoll and is not supposed to have problems with mats.

Since I put him on his raw meat diet he has returned to the kitten he was when I got him (almost annoyingly so ) and his fur problem has totally cleared up.

I have also put my 12-year-old sheltie Bandit on an all meat diet and his health and energy have improved remarkably as well. He seems at leat 5 years younger.

I did lots of research on the Internet before I switched Bandit and Ruggles to their new WsOE, and I haven't regretted it one minute even though it does require more work and money to feed them properly.

One other interesting thing about a more natural diet for my "kids" is that they drink a lot less water and they go to the "bathroom" less. This is natural and more to how they would be in their natural "wild" state. And the catbox is not so stinky.

;-Deb
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 17:14
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 287/198/135
BF:
Progress: 59%
Smile There are times I don't even want to eat it

I think I'm going to have to wait for cooler weather because while I don't mind the taste (I don't love it, but it's edible) it's way too hot for hot cereal. My dog, who is a spoiled rotten one, turns his nose up at it.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-02, 21:09

Plan: mix of Schwarzbein & PP;
Stats: 250/213/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Don't know!

Fascinating thread!

DarkLotus, I hope you let us know if your cat shows any side effects.

I feed my cats Nutro. It costs more, but the percentage of carbs is much much lower. It is mostly meat or fish depending on the flavour--there are about 8 or 10 different kinds.

Although the print can sometimes be hard to read, cat foods are required to print up their contents. See if you can make sure that "flour" is not a MAJOR content for your cats.

Household pets can get obese for many of the same reasons we do: poor diet, boredom, lack of exercise.

gee...I seem to be in real preaching mode today. I think I caught some sort of Virus from Levi!

Why are AMerican cats so much more obese than German cats???

My apologies,

Natalie
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-02, 22:26

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

I guess no one is taking me seriously about the raw meat diet . I have just one comment: The ingredients in commercial pet food are not fit for human consumption, so if you can't eat it, why would you give it to your pet? Here's a Google cached link to a page that describes what is really in commercial pet food and how it's made. It scared me into changing my pets' diets.

http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cach...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

And a couple benefits I left off the list: better teeth, longer life, weight control even in old age. And the list goes on.

Preachy ;-Deb
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-02, 22:41

Plan: mix of Schwarzbein & PP;
Stats: 250/213/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Don't know!

Hi Deb,

Thanks so much for the link; I read it with care.

I wonder if you could explain, or maybe pm me about just what you give your cats: what works, what does not? How do you prepare it for them?

My cats have a definite jones for fish flavours; I am glad that you mentioned that canned tuna is not good or I might have just opened them a tin!

I have three little feline boys who are about 4 and 1/2 years old (they are brothers). Magnificent creatures. I want to give them the very best.

Please let me know more details at your leisure.

Thanks,

Natalie
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-02, 05:58

We took you seriously Deb. Personally, I couldn't afford to give my cats an all meat diet and prepare food for me too I have 11 cats so the time and expense would kill me! I do get them a brand that is very similar to Iams though not as expensive.