Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 08:52
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/149.2/140 Female 5 feet 6.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default new to this WOE

Hi
I am new to this WOE and am struggling with it a bit. I have tried this WOE, on and off, for the past six months. The most recent try was great! I was in ketosis within 3 days and stayed there for the next 7 days. I lost two pounds and was feeling great! However, like the past three attemps, I convinced myself that this WOE of eating was not healthy! Little background info...my WHOLE family has had major success on Weight Watchers. (Mom lost 80 pounds, Dad lost 60 pounds, sister lost 40 pounds and I lost 25 pounds a while back). My way of thinking has always been that WW and other similar programs are the way to go. Anyways, I just wanted to share that info. and maybe recieve some encouraging words.

Also, I have a questions regarding sugar alcohols and low carb breads (oh so low products). I used both during my last attempt, during induction. ( I know..a no no!) Always kept my carbs at 20 and stayed in Ketosis. My question is...is the problem with sugar alcohols that they kick some people out of ketosis which causes them to not lose? Or can you remain in ketosis and not lose because of them? Regardless, I am going to not eat them during induction this time around...just wondering?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 09:22

Stats: 230/223/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hi there:
It is hard to realize that this WOE is good for you while needing to lose weight. When you get into maintenance it is more of what people consider healthy. I guess you will get some problems from your family because they believe in WW's .
Low carb breads stalled my progress while sugar alcohols don't--but everyone is different and getting different results. When I was eating low carb bread I may not have been eating enough fat or veggis. but I decided to leave the bread alone. I couldn't find or make one that I could say that it was good anyway so I was getting frustrated and my next step would have been to eat some real bread and cheat.
If you do a search on these two topics you will get all the info you need.
You have 25 lbs to lose which is not a big amount so you will lose more slowly than someone who has 100 lbs to lose. Exercise does help although you may gain weight at first you are only gaining muscle not fat.
Good luck and I hope you stick around.
angie
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 09:34
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Angie. Obviously, WW's did not work for me because I gained back those 25 pounds. I have done a great deal of research on Low Carbing, and know that it is the way to go! I WILL NOT FAIL THIS TIME!!!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 09:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 241/229/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Thumbs up

Hi! =) Well... my 2 cents worth is... Not everything works for everyone. Each person's body is different and therefore will react differently to different diets. And... you can't always say that because you gained the weight back, that the diet does not work, unless you were following the diet to the T and still gained the weight back. But I would think that you went off of WW and then the weight came back. Because if that were true, I'd have to say Atkins didn't work, when I know darn well it does... I was on Atkins 3 years ago and had fabulous results... was just about half way to my goal... but... I let my ex talk me into stopping and eating the old foods and I gained it all back over the past 3 years... But, I'm doing great on it now, and know that it is a healthy way to eat... some may say that induction is not the healthiest, but you are not on induction forever, just for 2 weeks, and then some stay at that carb level but add different foods for the next phase level to loose the weight faster. But, the main thing on this diet is, you have to adopt it as your way of life, not just a temporary fix... temporary does not do it. You have to adopt better eating habits if you expect to be able to maintain any kind of loss. As for the sugar alcohols and low carb breads... I've never had any of the breads, so I don't know... the sugar alcohols... well, they react differently to each person... some can handle them, some can't... it all depends... You just have to monitor your situation and find what works and what doesn't. Just do some trial and errors and find what works for you. On a side note... I do know that this way of eating makes me feel so much better than eating the other stuff... that I'm inclined to stay on Atkins this time. I hope you will too! =) Good luck! =)
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 10:00
Registered Member

Stats: 145/135/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Good morning! I'm happy to hear you have had positive results with this WOE in the past, so you know it works.... and let me tell you, that I feel the healthiest, and eat the healthiest, on Atkins than I ever have in my life.

My suggestion is that you think about what tripped you up in the past that you started and stopped a couple of times. What can you do differently this time so that doesn't happen?

Would a low-carb buddy help? Have you sat down and read the book lately? (or at all?). Reading the book again will help affirm some of your thoughts on the proven effectiveness and healthiness of this diet.

Low carb breads and sugar alcohols can kick some people out of ketosis, but not all. The challenge is to not use them during induction because your body isn't ready for those "types" of carbs yet. Induction is all about the basics, and "detoxing" your body of all of those things. Sugar alcohols can also make some people crave sugar and other foods that are bad for us in this WOE.

I really encourage you to make a go of induction this time without any frankenfoods (all the low-carb products out there) and stick to the basics. I have a feeling you will loose a lot more weight.

There are also a lot of low-carb recipes out there that you can use so induction won't get so boring. Don't forget you need to be drinking LOTS of water and taking vitamins.

Missy
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 10:07
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Moonshea. You are right....WW's did work for me but then I went back to my old way of eating and I gained it all back! I have always had food cravings and tend to eat when I am not hungry. Once I eat one chip or cracker, I can't stop. Before I started this WOE, all I ate were refined carbs...white bread, cookies, crackers, pasta, and tons of sugar. I would eat a whole big bag of skittles and justify it by saying "but its low-fat"! This WOE has rid my diet of those foods and forced me to eat healthy foods like mushrooms, green beans, aspargus, various kinds of salad greens, etc. that I NEVER ate before!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 10:16
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the input Missy. I plan on using everyone on this board as a lo-carb buddy! I just recently registered but had been logging on everyday just to hear what people had to say (mainly for encouragement and to snag any helpful ideas I could find). This forum is wonderful and everyone so far has been so helpful. I can't believe that there are people out there who don't even know me but want me to suceed! What a great find!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 10:31
Registered Member

Stats: 241/229/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 12%

I hear ya... I was the same way... I used to eat when I was not hungry, just to eat... I used to sit down with a bag of chocolates and before I knew it, I had eaten the whole thing... This way, keeps me away from all the bad stuff, and after a couple weeks, I don't even want that other stuff. I'd much rather have the low carb versions of it because I know it's better for me! =) Oh, and I too eat a whole lot more veggies than I did before... before I rarely ate veggies! lol

Well, Good luck to you! Hope to see you around more! =)

Moonshea =)
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 16:08
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

As a wise person once said on the board..(wish I could remember who!) There is NO plan that allows you to go back to your old way of eating, and not gain it back!

I've had great results on Atkins, and am having great results so far on CAD..but for me, the biggest help staying on-plan (aside from the reduced cravings of low carb) was the Dr Phil book. I should get a commission for pushing it, but it REALLY helped me identify my weak spots and why I eat when not hungry physically..and how to avoid it.

There are many good plans out there, but the secret to success is treating the REASONS for the gain in the first place.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 16:12

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Wecome. You hang in there. Iif you need support just log on we are here for you.