Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 12:20
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%
Default Seltzer ....as good as plain water?

I love to drink seltzer with a squeeze of lemon or lime, and I'm curious if I can substitute this form of water for just plain water.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 12:37

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Dear osuzana,

This is a hot potato on this board. There are the pure waterists who swear it must be water and nothing else and others who say you can drink what you like.

Everyone agrees you need to drink sufficient fluids - which means quite a lot. This diet is naturally diuretic so you need to make up the fluids. Also you need to flush out all those unburned ketones.

I just drink what I like and keep my head down.

Robert
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 12:50
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

At the very least, make sure your seltzer has no sodium . . .
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 13:27
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

In my opinion (and I know other's will disagree), plain carbonated water is the equivalent of plain water. If it has added sweetener or salt, that's another story. I personally love seltzer water with a squeeze of lemon or lime and I think it does just as good a job of keeping me hydrated as plain water.

The best rule is always to listen to your own body, because some of these things work differently for different people. Does drinking seltzer water instead of plain water make you feel any different or does it interfere with your weight loss? IMHO, if you answer "no" to those questions, you are probably fine with the seltzer water.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 04:10

Plan: Zone
Stats: 180/175/110 Female 5' 0"
BF:Melting
Progress: 7%

Quote:
Originally posted by liz175
In my opinion (and I know other's will disagree), plain carbonated water is the equivalent of plain water. If it has added sweetener or salt, that's another story. I personally love seltzer water with a squeeze of lemon or lime and I think it does just as good a job of keeping me hydrated as plain water.

It IS water. There are places here where the water is naturally carbonated. It's isn't like water, or almost water- it IS water. Ofcourse if before bottling it's *messed* with then ofcourse that changes things. But here it's bottled with nothing extra added. It's just carbonated water.