Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 07:28
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default goofy egg questions

I was making a quiche the other day and my ex boyfriend was watching me and I did what I always do which is crack the egg in a cup before I mix it with the other ingredients in case an egg is bad or has blood or something in it and that way I can just toss the egg without destroying my whole dish by putting the egg in directly.

He thought I was insane and said he has never seen anyone do that before, I have been doing it all my life and my mother does it too. Am I nuts or doesn anyone else do this too?

It makes sense to me and has come in handy before but its something I just assumed everyone does lol

He just thinks I am a nut who is dirtying extra dishes for no reason.

also another silly question... when using eggs and you get 2 yolks in one egg do you count that as 1 or 2 eggs?

I count it as 1 but was never certain.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 08:03
PuertoRican Princess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

LOL I do the same things. And my husband thinks the same way. LOL too funny.

I always count, what I call twin eggs as 2. But I haven't had any lately.

Take care,

Lily
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 08:45

Stats: -/140/135 Female 5'10"
BF:All Fat?
Progress: 52%

I spent many years in 4-H as a kid and we were always taught to crack the egg into another cup or dish before adding it to the rest of the ingredients to make sure it was good. I still do it to this day despite the one extra dish to wash. Also, for almost my entire life I cracked the egg on the side of the extra cup or dish and usually wound up having some pieces of shell drop in that I had to retrieve. A friend recently told me I should be cracking the egg sharply on the counter and then open the egg up over the dish to keep pieces of shell from falling in. Low and behold it seems to work 98 percent of the time.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 08:45

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

It used to be much more necessary when there were more spoiled eggs. That was before better refrigeration was available.

The red "blood spot" does not affect the 'eatability' of the egg and can be used.

I count the double yolkers as 1 egg as the yolks are usually much smaller than single yolk eggs.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 14:53

Stats: 286/219/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Actually I really ruined a cake when I cracked an egg into my mix and it was bad. It was from the store and it was still bad. So it is a very good policy to crack it in a cup first.

As for the double yolkers I always count it as one egg because most recipes are counting the liquid volume and even though it has an extra yolk it's liquid volume is basically the same as one egg.