Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 15:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 218/217/152
BF:
Progress: 2%
Default need help believing.......

I just started the Atkins diet yesterday, and I really want to believe that I can eat all of this high fat food and still lose weight, I have read so many accounts of people doing well and that is why I am trying it. So far, I feel great and not hungry llike all other diets. Trying to believe that y cholesterol will not go up, it is high already. Any feedback would be very much apprieciated- Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 16:40

Stats: 223/209/200 Male 73 in
BF:
Progress: 61%

dazv,

If your cholesterol is above 240, there is little doubt you're levels will lower initially and remain low when maintaining a low carb diet as described by Atkins. But, he does continuously state you should be under a doctor's care. You will be below 200.

I had cholesterol of 166 in the past, but did not test before going on the diet. After achieving near my goal, I had chol. of 187, and an increase in HDLs (from 35 initially to 44). I did not have chol. over limits, and in those cases I think you'll see some people do see an increase.

Realize that ingested (eaten) cholesterol contributes less than 20% to your chol. count. Ingesting carbohydrates will make the widest swing, due to the liver's response to the overproduction of insulin.

Keep reading and studying the Atkins book and review other LC books and this forum for insight.

And, keep us updated on your progress during and after induction. go for it!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 17:42

Stats: 220/210/170
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Welcome Dazv

I just started the atkins not to long ago and I can say I believe it really works. If you follow what he says in the book you should do alright. Remember the one little taste wont hurt theroy will total mess you up. I started cutting back on carbs on Jan 29 started atkins on Feb 3. Then eat a bagel with cream cheese on Feb 7 and I blow that whole day I wanted to eat everything. Dh and I ended the day with Burger King. I got right back on the next day and thankful I didn't gain anything. So far as of last thursday I have lost 10lbs. Loss the weight to me is more inviting then brownies,cookies, bagels, pasta, etc. I have more energy I fell so much better then I did last month. So in my oppion it works stick with it aleast 2 weeks only 2 weeks thats not long can't do to much damage in 2 weeks and if you don't feel better or lose some weight then decided what you want to do. I also have high cholesteral and am a little worried about the levels but I feel carbs had a lot to do with me having high cholesteral. I did have blood drawn yesterday for insurance so I can't wait to get it back to see what if they have changed.Exercise also helps lower you cholesterol so don't forget to add a little of something. I also so drink lots of water 64 to 80 oz a day and I feel that has help with my weight loss. Well good luck and you can do it give it I try what do you have to loss besides weight.hahahaha. Sorry this was so long
Janet
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 19:39

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Keep in mind that it is the HDL/LDL ratio that is the key indicator. For instance, in LCer's case above, even though here LDL went up 12 points while her HDL went up 9 points, here HDL/LDL ratio went from 0.267 to 0.308 (and increase of 15%).

And, if you do see your LDL go up enough to degrade your HDL/LDL ratio, be sure to have the LDL broken down further. There are different types and some of them are beneficial and not of concern if they go up. There is detailed information about this in DANDR.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 08:04

Stats: 218/217/152
BF:
Progress: 2%
Thumbs up I'll have faith

Thanks for your imput all, I will just jump in and have faith.... So far so good.