Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 23:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154/135/133
BF:help?
Progress: 90%
Talking Other Atkins perks! What you love about this WOL!

(I think there was another thread like this, but durned if I cant find it! After 2.5 hours, Im giving up and starting a new thread. Forgive the lack of originality, but this I really need some of this info now!)

How have all of you faired on Atkins? Im astounded by the success stories (weight loss) but am curious about some of the other perks I seem to be getting with this WOL. Any one else experience these things? Coincidence? Just me? Would love to hear from you on what you love about this WOL!!!

What I love:
1. Obviously, fitting into my clothes
2. not constantly craving (freaking out for) sweets
3. not falling asleep after lunch or at 3:00pm
4. no gritty-feeling teeth (!) - (carb residue????!)
5. No "down" days and mood swings - such a relief!
6. no PMS, cramps have lessened, no need for PMS chocolate
7. much clearer skin (no acne or dry, flakey skin)
8. no constant gass, bloating or IBS symtoms
9. not having to take IBS medication
10. not having to eat constantly, not feeling hungry all the time

What about you?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 07:59
Registered Member

Plan: 40-30-30
Stats: 232/164/170 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 110%

I've found the perks to be quite many. The moving needle on the scale is important, but much more so have been the following:

1. After having been a chronic migraine sufferer for 10 years, I have not had a single one since shortly after starting Atkins (early July). Similarly, all symptoms of IBS are gone (I used to dread going out to dinner with friends and then having an hour on the subway when I wouldn't know how my body would react)

2. A significant reduction in my overall body fat that has resulted in a much stronger, leaner look than I have ever had at this weight.

3. A much longer attention span. I'm a PhD student and spend a lot of days reading for hours and hours on end. In the past, my brain was mush part way through the day and I was having to drink coffee every couple of hours. No more coffee, no more munching to keep going and my thoughts are sharp and clear for hours on end.

4. The strength, endurance and motivation to "get back to my college days" when I was a varsity athlete and sports were as fundamental to my day as breathing. I now commute to work by bike (35 miles round-trip every day that isn't raining!) and participated in my first 100-mile "century" ride last month.

5.My Atkins-buddy used to suffer from pre-arthritic muscle and joint pains as a result of her occupation. These symptoms have all but disappeared (a medical relative has noted that current research seems to be finding all sorts of links between sugar and sugar intolerance and arthritis).
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 09:27

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%
Thumbs up My favorites perks are

2) Not being bloated after eating every meal.
1) Seeing muscle definition , after all those years of working out it's finally paying off.

Josie
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 11:29
Registered Member

Stats: 225/184/135 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 46%

I haven't been doing the LC lifestyle for very long (actually, today is exactly 2 weeks), but I have noticed that my cravings have decreased. I still have some (including a dream about ice cream a couple nights ago! )...but I'm looking forward to them disappearing even more.

My favorite perk is getting to eat some of my favorite foods, like red meat, without having to feel guilty. When I went out to eat the other night, I had beef and mixed veggies (at a Chinese place), sauce on the side, and Loved it. Didn't feel deprived at all. So maybe that's another perk -- not feeling left out when I go out to eat with friends.

I noticed that you mentioned that PMS disappeared. Is that common (I hope)? How long did it take for that to happen? That would be a heck of a nice perk.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 11:36

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%
Smile

Gread thread. No matter how many times it's repeated.

1. No emotional eating. I can deal with my emotions head on.

2. No carb cravings. No wander the cupboards munching on... whatever... trying to satisfy those cravings.

3. Seeing changes in the way my clothes fit. Or putting on something I haven't worn in awhile and have it be huge. I am finding that with my winter clothes now.

4. Even more...looking in the mirror and seeing changes in my arms, stomach, behind...

5. But the very best is not having the stress anymore of feeling guilty about my weight. I have one less worry.

#6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 12:03
Registered Member

Nedsed,

I started really noticing the my TOM has sorta snuck up on me my second month on Atkins. Usually I have horrible symptoms, lots of water retention, horrible mood swings, huge appetite, cravings, and breakouts about a week before. My second moth I had none of these (or they were so diminished I didnt even notice). Now I have to really pay attention to when TOM is supposed to come - I never paid attention before because my body always freaked out right before.

This month seems to be the same. I just dont feel all out of whack like I used too. This is a great thing! No monthly madness!

Also, TombRaider mentioned migraines. Ive noticed fewer also. I usually get them at the beginning and end of TOM week, so yeah, that goes along with lessened PMS symptoms for me too!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 12:09
Registered Member

Stats: 260/260/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default I love Dr. Atkins because....

1. No more cravings.
2. Minimal hunger
3. The scaly skin on my hands that I've had for 15+ years is gone
4. Hives that I've been plaqued with for years have disappeared.
5. My knees that used to be so sore sometimes I couldn't walk are fine know and never bother me
6. Better complexion and softer skin all over my body
7. More energy and clearer thinking
8. Better self-esteem
9. More serenity. I am calmer now.

The biggest thing for me are the top two: no cravings and I'm hardly ever hungry (except when I am supposed to be). On low-fat, high-carb diets, I was always hungry. I used to tell people that eating made me hungry, and it was true! I used to think something was really wrong with me. Now I know why! The carbs were causing hyperinsulinemia followed by crashes. Now I can look at all kinds of sweet, I can even bake them, and not be tempted to eat them. It's wonderful! And, for me, miraculous!

#8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 14:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 180/154/140
BF:
Progress: 65%

Gotta say - usually I try not to post if I don't have anything new to add to a thread, but this time I will say I AGREE WITH ALL THE ABOVE !

Yea! Us!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 14:40

Stats: 220/202/160
BF:
Progress: 30%

I am absolutely astonished that I can walk by the Friday doughnuts and not grab one. That is a miracle in itself. And while I have only lost about 15 pounds I am keeping it off. Definately less anger and mood swings!

Katie
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 17:07
Registered Member

Oh yeah, anyone sleeping better? I really fall asleep quick and sleep all night now (real heavy). And to think that before I would eat past TO HELP me sleep! (All the melatonin). Pshaw, that was nothing compared to this and has a lot to do with how I feel so much better during the day as well.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 18:33
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

<ul>
<li>No more sugar shakes/heart palpitations
<li>No more energy slumps; I can be on the go all day long
<li>Big improvement in my acne
<li>Almost no PMS!! Like Lebette, I've had to keep an eye on the calander to know when my [size=huge].[/size] is going to sneak up on me.
<li>Enjoying delicious, rich food and not feeling remotely guilty about it!!</li>
</ul>
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 20:26

Plan: Atkins Now/ Candidias Control 2003
Stats: 210/203/140
BF:47%
Progress: 10%

I agree with all of the above for me also...... and an added bonus..... My Athma attacks have all but disappeared.

The wheat is what caused me to have asthma attacks that I couldn't contribute to my other triggers. Also my sinuses have cleared up as well as IBS.

So this WOE is totally COOL !!!!!!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 21:55

Stats: 180/135/135 Female 64 inches
BF:30
Progress: 100%

My top benefit is not having constant hunger. Food no longer controls me.

Other benefits I have experienced:

I used to have slight bags under my eyes... they are basically gone now. My skin looks plumper and more uniform in appearance.

I have a whole new wardrobe... because I have just rediscovered the back of my closet that housed all the "too small" items that I can now fit into! HURRAH!

I have enough energy that I am now staying true to my weekly workout routines. I almost never wimp out and not do it.

Definitely coping with my high stress job with a more even keel.

My body is reshaping itself... and it aint half bad!

Lots of the previously mentioned benefits.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 23:40

Plan: Atkins 220.5lbs Jan 2007
Stats: 250/220.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:?/?/25%
Progress: 30%

Benefits...well, I still get PMS some months, some are better than others.
My number one benefit is also what someone else said: "Food no longer controls me" I see food as FUEL now, I eat when I need to, and not usually when I don't.
I have lost a lot of weight and inches. None of my clothes fit me anymore, except the jeans I've been saving for SIX YEARS! I knew one day I would fit back into them, I bought them when I was the smallest I've ever been, and now I am getting even smaller!
Another benefit is knowing that I can go off the diet for a night, once in awhile (ie: for a wedding, Thanksgiving, etc) and I will have the willpower to get back on it the next day, becasue it makes me feel so good. I allow myself to go off the woe once a month if there is a special occasion. This way, I am rewarding myself for all of my hard work, I'm not offending anyone by not eating their cooking, and I am getting a nice treat. I burn off the calories the next day with a great workout!
Hmm, let';s see, what else...the weight loss and the lack of cravings are my number one favorite. I can actually watch someone eat ice cream or a chocolate bar, or even be OFFERED CANDY and TURN IT DOWN! I could have NEVER done that before low carbing!!!!
Hugs
Marie
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 10:54

Stats: 287/240/140
BF:
Progress: 32%
Thumbs up Mine are:

What I like about Atkins and this new WOL:

10.Great improvement on PMS
9. Weight loss satisfying
8. Better self-esteem
7. Having this message board for support
6. Easiest and the more sustainable "diet"
5. Food actually tastes good
4. Not counting calories
3. No more mood swings
2. Not feeling hunger
and number 1: No more cravings/emotional eating is gone!

Such a RELIEF!!!