Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 21:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 277/255/170 Male 5 ' 10"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default gained 4 lbs eating atkins approved..

Hi,

I was having a tough time getting past the 245 barrier so the week prior I limited my food intake greatly SAT evening I was down to 242 then Sunday 240. My lowest weight in over a year. I went shopping and decided to get some shakes and candy all atkins approved. Now it is tuesday and I am at 244.

Any ideas what happpened I kept my carb intake at or below 20. I ate the peanut butter cups and vanillia shakes which I really like. Did these cause the gain? Is it possible that limiting my intake last week I sent my body the wrong signal and now it is trying to hold on to the weight.....

I was looking forward to getting down into the 230s this week but now I am back to where I was at the begining of the month
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 22:03

Stats: 280/235/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I'm not sure Tubby. I would however suggest not weighing yourself everyday. At least give it a week as your body weight will fluctuate here and there. The Atkins approved products may have caused the fluctuation; some ppl just do not tolerate them well. Is it possible you consumed more than your normal salt intake in the last few days? That could be another culprit. Sorry I don't have a direct answer for you.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 22:05

Stats: 351/229.6/200 Male 73 inches (that's 6'1)
BF:??%%/24.5%
Progress: 80%

Well, time of day makes a difference for me. My weight can fluctuate 5+ pounds easily in a day. Pick a time and only weigh yourself at that time each day.

Remember also, you don't have to count calories, but calories do count. Atkins's products are not a license to eat. They tend to be fairly high in calories.

OG
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 04:55

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Here are some questions you must ask yourself:

1. Are you TRULY counting every carb...including those "hidden carbs" that are not on nutrition labels?

2. Are you drinking 1/2 your body weight in water?

3. Are you over-eating? Meaning, do you stop when you feel full without getting "stuffed"?

4. Are you on meds that may prevent weight loss?

5. Have you had your hormones checked? Thyroid.

My problem, after reading this book "How to get the most out of your LC Diet" is that I wasn't really counting my carbs properly. Hidden carbs and quantities were much higher than what I was plugging in thus I was going over the carb limit. SInce I began more accurate tallying....I lost 1 lb and am in medium ketosis (purple).
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 06:03

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 298/270/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 19%

I can not eat those legal candies!! The Sugar Alchols send me out of kenesis and send me to the bath room.

That maybe the culprit for your weight gain - they are for me.

Good Luck!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 06:14
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I would cut out the Atkins foods (frankenfoods) and stick with real foods. They are a know staller in people. Of course this is different for different people.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 07:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 222/212/175 Male 5-10
BF:way too high
Thumbs up yvonne

Yvonne is a babe!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 19:42

Stats: 270/260/175 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%

I was having the same problem. I lost 10 lbs during induction and then started to introduce some of the low-carb items (Atkins Indulgence Bars, protein bars, sugar-free candy, low-carb tortillas) and I stalled. And then to make it WORSE, I gained two pounds back. But, I stopped eating those things yesterday and I lost a pound this morning so I definitely think those are the cause...which is a bummer because they are SOOOO good!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 19:49

Stats: 179/166/130 Female 5'3"
BF:unknown
Progress: 27%

from what I understand after getting the Atkins catalog, some of Atkins bars are not for the Induction phase. The advantage bars are ok but not the Endulge (why I don't know), but the catalog shows each item and what phase it is appropriate to use. My husband & I have the same problem. We tend to go for the things we really like and I think sometimes we (especially he) eat too much!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 19:57
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited by tubby : Thu, Jul-24-03 at 19:59.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 20:00

BF:

I am eating alot during the course of a day. I think I am averaging about 1800 calories but the calories are just coming from different sources than before. During induction, I at alot of calories and I lost weight. I have heard that you need to eat alot of the "right" calories or your body will not have enough calories to burn. So, I don't think it's the calories that are the problem....just make sure they are coming from the right sources.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 20:02
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Ginsy,

I edited out that portion of my reply and made a new thread. Please don't get me wrong I am happy with the results I just have doubts about how they are obtained.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 21:44

Stats: 208/205/150 Female 64 IN
BF:
Progress: 5%

Those darn Atkins bars!

I added the occasional (i.e. once weekly) bar after induction (during which I lost 18 pounds). Also added some sugarfree (Splenda) freezies, no sugar added stuff (in moderation, about 1 dessert twice a week)- and I have only lost 3 lbs in the last 2.5 weeks

Now I know weight loss slows down after induction, but I suspect I'm being stalled by sugar alcohols and artificial sweeteners. I resolved to cut them out today- healthier anyway and I find I get less cravings eating induction style.

Then again, I haven't gained anything eating those bars and stuff- just not losing. Might be more appropriate for Maintenance for me at least.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 11:04

BF:

That's amazing that you lost 18 lbs during induction alone. It does make sense that your body will slow down on it's own but the extra stuff seems to really stall the weight loss. I gave them up two days ago and am finally starting to lose again.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 18:55

Stats: 208/205/150 Female 64 IN
BF:
Progress: 5%

Thanks Ginsy

I always had the idea that I was carrying a lot of water around though so a lot of those 18 pounds were probably that. Now the poundage is coming off quite a bit slower- but slow and steady wins the race. During the time I was losing the weight I was having some pretty weird physical symptoms (extreme paleness, dizziness, and palpitations) that have since disappeared- I think it's best to lose slower, just wish it didn't come back on as fast!