Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 06:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/211/194
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Confused

Just read this on a uk forum.
Im confused about the Atkins diet and if it is good for you or not.
see posting beneath.

RE : Atkins, see below some details, advise is its very bad for you,
as its very unbalanced. NOTE, if you are trying to liberate yourself form some weight it must be the correct type, you didn't put it on over night so don't expect to loose it over night.

Stay away from Fad Diets.

Main Problems of high protein, high/Medium fat, no and low-carbohydrate, ketogenic
diets include:

Rapid weight loss consisting of water and lean muscle mass, not fat.
Dehydration and hypotension resulting from sodium loss and water imbalance.
An increased solute load on the kidneys; consuming adequate water is
critical.
A diet rich in saturated fat can accelerate atherosclerosis.
Uric acid levels can increase leading to gout.
Encourages IBS

Ask yourself is the Atkins and the like diets that you can easily live with for the rest of your live? No.

Dr Atkins book even gives an example of a woman who lost 10 pounds in 16 days; she is eating mostly meat and vegetables and salads, and is up to 2 potatoes weekly. Even Atkins says that "when you try to interpose a period of balanced dieting, the result is all too often a rapid regain of weight."

The bottom line is that the Atkins diet is not practical and dangerous over the long term

http://suewidemark.netfirms.com/atkinsdiet_aha.htm

Be Healthy Not Foolish!

PS. Dr Atkins recently diet of angina,......so he hardly stuck to any nutrion plane let alone his!!

Any questions call me.

Regards

Darren

Educate, Motivate and Inspire!

West London’s Premier Personal Training and Nutrition Consultancy

Phone : 0208 894 9324 Mobile : 07960582225

http://www.bodyfocusltd.co.uk

http://www.healthypages.net/forums/...p?TOPIC_ID=2211
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 07:09

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

There is far more research in these forums concerning the actual saftey of this diet than the rubbish this gentleman refers to.

Where did he get his information at? Where is the research stating it is bad for you? Browse through the Reseach Media Watch and find out all the wacky false claims the media says about this and the actual truths.

I have been on Atkin's for well over a year now and I am very healthy according to my doctor. Is this a plan I can live with the rest of my life? You bet it is.

What is so unhealthy about NOT eating pasta, rice, sugar and bread?

I eat fresh fruits, veggies and meat. I eat healthy. I don't eat garbage junk foods processed in chemicals.

Dr Atkin's has not died yet. He did suffer a heart failure due to a virus, but it had nothing to do with diet. At last check the man is still alive and well.

Do your OWN research.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 08:23

Plan: Protein Power LP Dilletan
Stats: 164/145/138 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Rapid weight loss consisting of water and lean muscle mass, not fat.
Dehydration and hypotension resulting from sodium loss and water imbalance.
An increased solute load on the kidneys; consuming adequate water is
critical.
A diet rich in saturated fat can accelerate atherosclerosis.
Uric acid levels can increase leading to gout.
Encourages IBS

First of all, this article has no studies or references attached to it. Atkin's book describes a loss of water with any diet during the first week. If you study what the term ketosis means, you will understand that the body uses fat for fuel during ketosis meaning that you burn fat.

You do get dehydrated during any diet. That is why it is stressed to where we all get tired of hearing it that we need to drink our water (which this author pointed out as well). It is also important to take potassium to prevent dehydration.

The thought that a diet rich in saturated fat can accelerate atherosclerosis pervades the public these days, but is unfounded as the research on these forums show.

Uric acid levels "can" increase leading to gout if you don't drink your water, but this can happen if you aren't on a diet and get dehydrated for any length of time.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome can be caused by dehydration, too little fiber, and poor eating habits whether or not you are on any diet.

Add all this to the fact that the Westman study just came out this month showing that the Atkins diet is safe so that this author has said nothing of importance besides don't forget to drink your water when you do Atkins.