Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 10:17
Registered Member

Plan: Adaptive
Stats: 220/220/155
BF:N/A
Progress: 0%
Question Isomalt and Malitol

I was looking in the candy section, searching for 'Blitz' mints, sweetened with splenda, 0.12g carbs per mint. I found several candies sweetend with splenda!! but they all had carbs from 'Malitol' and 'Isomalt', one attributed the carbs to 'sugar alcohols' listing Isomalt as the main ingredient. What are Isomalt and Malitol? Are they sugars... other than sucralose? Where are the carbs coming from if not the sugar? I am confused....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 11:16

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Try the quick link on the right side of this page to "The truth about low carb sweeteners info". I'm not sure about isomalt, but maltitol is a sugar alcohol believed not to affect blood sugar. A lot of people have problems with this though, so buyer beware. Check out the link, it'll explain about what a sugar alcohol is better than I could.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 22:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/153/150 Male 5' 6"
BF:26%/21%/15%
Progress: 88%
Default testing malitol

How would someone test the effects of malitol on themself.
(I know you can kind of keep tabs on ketone, weight, fat% but that is kind of a general and hard to attribute changes to any one item like malitol.)

Would it be an accurate indication of insulin response if I take my blood sugar levels with a glucose strip then eat a moderate amount of malitol then test again in a few minutes?

Ken
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 09:22
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

It wouldn't have time to be digested in a few minutes, I think some people that use glucometers test an hour after they've eaten.

I can tell sugar alcohols have an adverse effect on me because I get hungrier and want to eat more, not just good food but more nuts and more artificial foods and real sugar if I don't watch out.

Another adverse effect of sugar alcohols is spending way too much time in the bathroom.

Doesn't effect me that way, too bad, I could use another deterrent.

I try not to eat them. I had a bar last Saturday and it totally set me off.

Beth
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 10:00
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

That is what malitol does for me! But does that stop me? Noooooooo...... But its a tastie way to get things moving when you have to
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 22:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/153/150 Male 5' 6"
BF:26%/21%/15%
Progress: 88%

Thanks for the info.

Is it correct to say testing my blood glucose just test whether my blood sugar levels go up and not necessarily my body's insulin response?

I've read material that states you can have a insulin response from lots of things including artificial sweeteners, smelling certain foods or even thinking about sweet foods. So even if malitol does not change blood sugar level, could one still have a marginal insulin response? If so how could this be measured?

Is there a blood insulin test?

Ken