Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 08:05

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default Tonight: Dr A's Last Interview w/King

"H" said he just heard that the last interview Dr. Atkins did with Larry King will be replayed on CNN at 9 central tonight. Check it out.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 10:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 277.5/277.5/199 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 0%

AND, on Monday, Feb. 16, Veronica Atkins, Dr. Atkins' widow, will be on Larry King Live to discuss all of this controversy about his health and death.

Larry King Live's Web Site
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 22:56

Plan: My own
Stats: 340/340/180 Female 5' 10"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 0%
Exclamation Larry King Live Replaying Atkins NOW!!

Turn on to CNN for Larry King Live replaying his interview with Dr. Atkins.

Nicole
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 08:41
Doctor Dirt

Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%

I watched the Larry King Live interview last night (twice!). I was struck by what a soft spoken and gentle man Dr. Atkins was. I would SO much have liked to meet him and give him a BIG hug for changing my life in so many ways.

That aside, I was also VERY put off by how RUDE Larry King was. Does he usually interrupt his guests so often? Obviously, LK doesn't follow the low-carb lifestyle -- he had a real problem with the fat content of a lot of the foods. (Hasn't LK had some heart surgeries in the past?) And although Dr. Atkins stressed continuously how many vegetables he eats, LK couldn't get it through his thick ugly skull that the Atkins WOE is more than eating gobs of meat.

What an excellent illustration of how VERY frustrating it must have been for Dr. Atkins to try to get his message across to the American public for all those years.

My favorite part of the interview was when LK asked Dr. Atkins if he doesn't want to say "I told you so" to the medical establishment (which had JUST grudgingly started to admit that the Atkins WOE might in fact work), and Dr. Atkins said, "Of COURSE I do!" Heh heh.

Jeannie
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 10:32

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

I watched the interview also and completely agree with JeannieM....what a rude obnoxious man Larry King is!

And what a sweetie Dr A was! I too wish I could have met the man!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 10:45

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindySue48
I watched the interview also and completely agree with JeannieM....what a rude obnoxious man Larry King is!

Which is why I usually don't watch LLL. I wonder how he is going to treat Mrs. Atkins when she appears.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 10:51
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Actually, Larry King is just being himself. He simply asks a lot of followup, and manages to obtain a lot of information from his guests within the hour. He does that with all his guests.

I didn't find him rude at all, I think he managed to help Dr. Atkins make his case by askign the important questions.

Wa'il
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 11:31

Stats: 164/164/130 Male 64
BF:
Progress:

i am on day 2 of the atkins diet and up to now doing ok i hope i stick to it,I will miss the bread
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 12:21
Doctor Dirt

Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarian
Actually, Larry King is just being himself. He simply asks a lot of followup, and manages to obtain a lot of information from his guests within the hour. He does that with all his guests.

I did not object to the tough questions. Asking the tough questions is what LK does well -- AND Dr. Atkins had thoughtful and intellegent responses to all of LK's tough questions. The reason I referred to LK as rude is because he NEVER seemed to let Dr. Atkins complete an answer. I don't recall LK ever interrupting any other guest quite as much. It was really obnoxious of him.

Only my opinion, of course.

Jeannie
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 08:58

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I was very impressed at how Dr. Atkins seemed so energetic and enthused, and he mentioned his tennis.
Larry King, by contrast, didn't look nearly so well. And they must be close in age.
That was living proof to me.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 09:15

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

"Larry King, by contrast, didn't look nearly so well."

Funny you should mention how bad he looked....I agree.

But, he was interviewed recently and said he thought he looked better than he did 30 years ago! During the interview they showed "old" pics of him compared to "new" pics and he's much thinner and MUCH older looking....even tho the "old" pics are only a couple of years old.

Dr A on the otherhand, looked like the picture of good health!