Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 08:31

Plan: My Own
Stats: 240/213/152 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 31%
Question Low carbs for Fibro & candida. How many?

I have fibro and arthritis and have also recently been diagnosed with insulin resistance and candida. My nutritionist has put me on a lo carb diet but reading the messages on here I'm not sure if I'm having to many carbs a day. She said I can have all vegs (except starchy ones) pulses and beans, nat yogurt, young cheeses, cream, nuts and proteins. On top of that I can have other carbs up to 30g a day. No sugars or yeasts.[CENTER]

Shes taking it slowly with me as she said I wouldn't cope with the toxins from a quick die off. I also have loads of supplements.

How many carbs do other fibros have and what sort of relief do they get? I'm feeling just a little clearer in the head but other than that no better.

Also does anyone sleep for over 10 hours a night and then stuggle to wake up at 11.30am? Can't decide which is the worse - the exhaustion or the pain!

Finding this board has been such a relief to read about others like me!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 06:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/159/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress:

I had the problem with extreme fatigue (I'm a mother of 4 young children) and had the same problem-I could easily sleep for 10 hours (like that would ever happen with four small children in the house- but I can dream, right?) and still be exhausted. My problem was I could never get into the deep restorative (stage 4 or Delta) sleep. I'd wake up feeling like a got hit by a bus. I stated taking Valerian before bed a few months ago. It's an herb that works to calm down your central nervous system. I started sleeping much better at night. Then, I just started Restoril 2-3 times a week and the Valerian the other nights and for the first time in 10 YEARS I am finally getting restful sleep. -If you don't get into the stage 4 sleep you can sleep 15 hours a day and still not feel rested. FM sufferes also tend to have bursts of Alpha sleep (level 1) that interfere with level 4 sleep. So you never get a healing night sleep. You also may want to try hot baths and relaxing massages right before bed. Anything that can help you relax and calm down will help you sleep better. Without restorative sleep, nothing else matters.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 07:17

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Hi, Jems...

I think your carbs will be ok. I have heard different things about how low it takes to get into keto burning. Dr. A recommends 20 to first start. I found I couldn't lose weight if I take it much higher.

I can't remember when I started feeling better the first time I did low carb. I think it was kinda' grandual. Like one day I realized..."hey, my feet don't hurt with every step!". And then other parts followed.

I have been having trouble getting into the diet again. So, right now I am really hurting. And to make matters worse, my weight gain has made me snore, so my sleep is really bad right now.

I don't remember the diet helping me sleep one way or another. I have both winter and summer SAD. I sleep really well from about April 1 to June 1. And in September. Other than that, I have early morning awakening syndrome.

I hope you find relief soon. Don't give up.