Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 11:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Do any Females go to GNC?

Just wondering exactly what you buy at GNC and some of the prices you pay. Things like multivitamin, fish, flax, and borgae oils, potassium, vitamin C, cal/mag, and L-glutamine? I have run out of most of my vitamins and joined GNC a couple weeks ago so while I wait for the 1st to role around I am trying to do some research into the price I'm going to pay. I did add some stuff up and it all came to $65, I just don't know if I can afford that every couple months. The Multi-Oils I found was $20, maybe I need to switch to just fish or flax oils because the borage was $24 alone. All this research was done online at drugstore.com in the GNC section. Any advice for me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 13:43
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

I used to buy most of my stuff at GNC but have found much better prices at Rite Aid and CVS when they have their 2 for 1 sales (CVS is having one now). Rite Aid also has a good wid spectrum multi with no sugars, starches or yeast, their Pharmasure brand (comparable to GNC's Women's Mega. Another good resource is online at www.swansonvitamins.com for the supplements you can't find at CVS and Rite Aid.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 16:26

Stats: 182/170/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 26%
Exclamation Gnc..

I agree with Zuleikaa, CVS has great sales on low carb stuff and vitamins about once a month. I am fortunate to have a relative who works at GNC and gets me a 30% reduction...I like the GNC Megawomen vitamins...HOWEVER... somethings ARENT worth the money$$$$ Ultra vitamins are more expensive...however...they produce "expensive" urine which is where your urine is discolored (green, pungent yellow) meaning your body hasnt absorbed the supplements (may have taken up some, but not all) therefore your "pissin" yoru $ away, therefore, I highly reccomend GNC on "super tuesdays" and goldcard days & advice...but CVS has the sales!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 18:02
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I usually buy some of my low-carb items there, but buy my supplements at good old K-Mart or Wal-mart!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 18:56
Zombie Love Slave

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 247.6/231.6/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I buy at GNC but only because it's convenient for me (I work in a mall). I haven't really had the time to go out and investigate the pricing variances.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 10:46

Stats: 235/153/135 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 82%

I have a trick for buying at GNC. I stop by whenever I'm at a mall and check out all the products I use. Quite often something is on sale. Last time the Oil of Oregano was $6 off, so I stocked up on that! Be sure to make sure there's a good expiry date though - my friend had to return one item because of that.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 20:15
Registered Member

Stats: 0/0/0 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:

I once did a few years ago when I didn't know what I was doing. I even got suckered into buying the discount card there that I hardly ever used.

Days later after posting on various message boards, I came to realize that GNC is nothing but overpriced junk that you can basically get anywhere, much better and much cheaper.

The low carb protein shakes for instance, it was like $50 for 5lbs. I can get 5lbs of other brands for like $20 off the internet.

Coconut oil I was just looking into today .. like $15 for a tiny jar. $10 online for about 16oz. Still expensive, but not as expensive as GNC's version.

You're only paying for the GNC label.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 20:20
Registered Member

Stats: 0/0/0 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:

Oh and if you have a vitamian shoppe in your area, I'm pretty sure they're cheaper. I only went in one once though.

My supplements I usually get at the local drugstore, even use their brand cause it's really good.

Low carb foods.. Walmart!!!!!!!!! Carb Solution bars are 1.57 at Walmart and Target. At CVS they are $2.50 and Walgreens sells them for $2.99.. huge difference! Everything is seriously atleast $1.50 cheaper at walmart.

Check out the sticky link at the top of this forum. They have some good sites listed there.

Netrition is good too.. LOTS of variety and shipping is only like $5
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 20:24

Plan: Atkins now SB (trying)
Stats: 173/145.5/125 Female 5'2 (Still) lol
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default Costco...

HAS GREAT PRICES........

I find GNC a little pricey.....watch the flyers and pick up what you need that way....like someone else said...watch for the 2 for 1's.....