Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 11:27

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%
Default tiny successes

I really struggled with carb cravings yesterday and wanted to report on resisting them--both to pat myself on the back and maybe help some newbies

1) I said to myself, "okay, you can have that if you want, but you know if you do so, you'll crave worse tomorrow and be snarly at work on Monday. So you can have the carbs if you'll accept the symptoms." (The "sensible parent" approach)

2) I looked at what had happened in my life and what I had eaten to see what triggered these cravings. A few too many nuts and situational stress--easy to see. So, no more nuts for me and keep on writing in my journal to work through stress. (The "research scientist" approach)

3) Legal food treats. Instead of my sensible meal I had planned, I changed my dinner to a much cheesier one. While cheese in excessive amounts may toss me out of ketosis for a day or two, a week-long carb binge will mess me up for a month, so that's an easy choice between the two! (the "limited self-indulgence" approach)

Success in any endeavor in life is a matter of winning these tiny battles, eh? Today I'm craving-free, instead of battling even worse cravings because of caving in yesterday.
Anyone else have other techniques they use to beat the cravings?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 11:36

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Bravo Razzle!

Good for you.

When I have those carb binges I put myself into an even more stricter induction. Sort of reverse psychology on myself. Like saying sure, go ahead and have that ick carb, but you are going to pay for it. You really think it's worth another 2 weeks on induction? Shoot no.

I hate being on induction as it is. It takes away a lot of my favorite food choices. So instead of going for those donuts at work, I grab my celery sticks and cheese nibbles.

You could try doing 50 sit ups or 50 push ups for everytime you mess up. That would really teach you!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 11:58

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Razzle....

I think it's very important to be aware and remind ourselves of what the results of a high-carb indulgence can be! Great step there, your step one! Managing to control impulses is a big one. Congratulations to you for managing it!

Marlaine
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 15:07

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Good post, razzle. I think that will be helpful to a lot of us, not just newbies.

I've been working on substituting habits (your "cheesier meal"). I was used to a late night snack, when I was up late nights working, of an English muffin, butter and jam. I'd eat it partly because I was hungry, eight hours after dinner, and partly because it was a treat. A slab of cheese didn't feel the same. I tried anticipating the cheese, in the same way I had been (unconsciously) anticipating the muffin-butter-and-jam. Thinking how good the cheese would taste. When I did this, I wasn't disapointed, and switched to an LC snack (about an ounce of cheese, or cheese with salami slices).
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 15:52

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

I've found that an Atkins muffin ( his recipe, his bake mix) with cream cheese is a nice treat if I feel like BAD food might be nice.
The zucchini ones are excellent--- like having dessert. Can't indulge alot but for that once in a while when you just gotta have something........
Ellie