Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 09:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 138/138/125 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress:
Default Beef Jerky

My first post although I've been "lurking" for several days, trying to find anyone with a similar situation (I havn't seen any). This is day 18 for me on strict Atkins and I've lost a whopping 2 lbs (yes ..two) and they came off the first few days. Since then, EVERY SINGLE DAY, my strips have indicated that I'm highly in Ketosis but my weight & measurements are still the same! (My boobs aren't getting smaller either...) I've never been on a diet before but take pride in being strong-willed and determined, but I'm pretty disillusioned. Any tips folks? My story:

I have a small build where every single extra pound shows on my gut & butt. I'm now at 135 and want to reach 120. I have an intense sour tooth (acid instead of sweets) so my main carbs have always come from massive quanties of tomatoes, lemons, pickles etc. I did drink a lot of skim milk and 1-2 glasses of wine every night with dinner. Homemade cucumber-dill yoghurt cold soup and hummus with fresh veggies was a regular indulgence. I kicked the caffeine habit several months ago.

Even before I began this intentional Low-Carb process, however, my favorite munchie has been (and is now a staple)- homemade BEEF JERKY. I invested in a $200 "Excaliber" dehydrator last year (five trays). Now, I pick out two of the leanest cuts of Londonbroil at the butcher, they freeze it for me and slice it really thin. I marinate it overnight in casserole dishes with Liquid Smoke only (no carbs) and then have a great, savory, solid protein snack whenever I want! Fact is, I've always eaten pretty healthily. Is there such a thing as too much beef jerky if it has no carbs? Could it be that because I wasn't particularly a high carb junkie before that I'm having so much difficulty losing now?

My daily LC induction-and now 4-days-past-induction diet has been:
Breakfast: (pre-LC and now) No carb/caffeine gingseng tea & beef jerky.
Snack- beef jerky!
Lunch: either a cheeseburger & a hard boiled egg or tuna salad
Dinner: steak, seared tuna, smoked salmon, Atkins chicken recipes, and a nice chunk of Blue Costello cheese (awesome stuff); an occasional olive, a very rare slice of tomato. Not a drop of alchohol (and I AM a dinner drinker) nor a glass of milk. Not a single cheat. Not huge portions.

I've kept my daily carb count way below what's recommended max. for induction, and in fact have been hesitant to include ANY veggies or ANY wine as I'm not having any success as it is. And yet, my strips remain a deep purple.

Excerise: I stopped using the elevator months ago and now attempt to sprint up the four floors of stairs at my job at every oppportunity. To increase my activity, I've been doing "follow-the-video" aerobics at home a couple times a week focusing on my problem areas, and now I've started taking my three dogs on long brisk walks everynight (usually my husband's task.)

Drugs: I was put on a really, really low dose of beta-blocker meds to keep my funky heart beat in line four months ago. I understand beta-blockers slow the metabolism and can make some folks gain weight, but I am on ridiculously low, low dose. The doc says it wouldn't be affecting my lack of weight loss.

Any ideas? Inspiration? Maybe I should go have a slice of pizza for lunch?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 10:20
Carb Nazi

Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%

Hi Taxi:

If you are in deep ketosis, then your carb level is right. My guess is since you are close to your ideal weight, your weight loss will be more like those who lose 80 pounds and then take off the last 20 at a rate of 1 to 2 pounds a month. You will get some more expert advice here shortly, but my recommendation is to stick with it and realize, even at 2 pounds a month, you will be at your ideal weight in a few months! Beef Jerky sounds marvelous... can you make me a pound and ship to Georgia? mad
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 10:23
Carb Nazi

Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%

One Mo thing... if you increase your fat intake this will help (bacon, sausage, pork rinds, butter, etc) mad