Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 08:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/156/135
BF:40.5/36/25
Progress: 38%
Question Less endurance when exercising - why?

I've always enjoyed going to the gym, and working out on the treadmill and resistance machines. But since starting Atkins, I seem to poop out sooner, break a sweat earlier on the treadmill, etc. I'm on induction (not cheating!), think I'm getting the proper amounts of fat/protein and drinking lots of water. Otherwise I feel great, sleeping well, good energy during the day. Any thoughts?

Pat
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 08:29
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

It is hard to guess how long and hard you are working out and what and how much you are eating to even try to assist here.

We need more specifics that that.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 08:33
Registered Member

Sorry - details, details! Nothing terribly strenuous: 30 to 45 minutes on treadmill, brisk walk (3.5 - 3.8 mph); 15-30 minutes with weights, resistance machines - Does that help?

If I did this a month ago, I'd feel invigorated - now I'm kind of limp! (Although 1/2 an hour and a shower later I feel great)
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 08:34

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Less endurance when exercising - why?

Quote:
Originally posted by pbastian
But since starting Atkins, I seem to poop out sooner, break a sweat earlier on the treadmill, etc.
Pat, it's pretty common and it's pretty unavoidable if you remain at Induction level carbs. Remember all that water weight you lost at the outset? That water was held in your cells because of the carbs you used to eat. Carbs in the body are stored as muscle glycogen, LCing depletes muscle glycogen stores w/in the first few days, resulting in a water weight drop and flatter muscles.

Intense exercise on <20g of carbs a day is next to impossible for most of us; it leads to what we commonly call 'bonking' and it's not fun! You might try increasing carbs around workouts, pre usually does it, or increasing carbs throughout the whole day. Or you can nix the intense exercise for a while and just do Induction, returning to the workouts when you hit OWL and have raised carbs.

HTH
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 09:01
Registered Member

Thanks, Nat - that's really helpful. I don't necessarily want to up the carbs, so I think I'll just keep the exercise low-key for now. I'm pretty resistant to weight loss (quit smoking at the same time and my poor abused body is trying to make sense of it all!) so I don't want to quit working out altogether. I'm still playing tennis a couple of times a week - doubles, so it isn't too strenuous.

Thanks for taking the time to explain the physiology of this - aside from this small problem I am thrilled with how I feel and the results.

Pat
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 09:05

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

You're welcome, Pat. When you get the chance have a look through the General Exercise Forum - there's some great posts on LCing and working out.

Cheers,
Nat
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 09:18

Stats: 230/215/155
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Working out on Induction

I excercise vigorously while I am on the induction and I too, occasionally find myself a little tired faster than before. What I do occasionally when I want to have an intense work out is take one pill of stacker 2. It gives you a boost that will last for at least 2 hours. From whatever literature I read stacker 2 is not bad for you if not taken excessively. So you might want to try that. Otherwise just have a double or a single shot os espresso before your work out. That should also give you a boost.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 10:13
Registered Member

Thanks, Sportguy. The supplements scare me a little - didn't like the idea of elevated heart rate/temperature, etc. It could be that my metabolism needs a jolt, but I think I'll just stay on induction and low-level exercise.

Good luck with your program - sounds like its a perfect fit for you!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 11:41

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 185/183/160 Female 5'5
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

Do not drink coffee (ESPECIALLY) espresso before exercising. Yes, it may give you a "boost", but at the expense of your heart. Also, coffee is a dehydrator, something you DON'T need before a workout. Natrushka had the best advice. Take it easier or wait till after induction, or add some carbs. Drink water before and during workouts.
Feel good.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 12:04

Stats: 190/182.5/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Less Endurance

Pat,

One reason you may be feeling this way is because your Potassium level is low. Try taking some Potassium supplements and you'll probably notice a difference. It helps me. Atkins talks about Potassium in his book and how supplementation is needed during weight loss and the water loss that accompanies it.

Diana
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 12:24
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Agree with the carb and potassium recommendations; also make sure you're well hydrated. Drink lots of water before, during and after your workouts, whatever level you choose. Dehydration is a common cause of exercise fatigue and lack of endurance, not just in low-carbers.

Doreen
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 12:44
Registered Member

Diana - thanks for the potassium suggestion - great idea. Will do that!

Doreen - ditto for the water. I feel like I'm getting the right amount, but it's always an effort.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-03, 07:50

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Hi, pbastian...

yes, I agree that you poop out way before normal when low carbing. When you eat carbs on a consistent basis, you have a ready store for the body to use when exerting itself. When you don't, you use stored fat and that is not converted to energy as fast as carbs.

I keep to the weights when I am in induction. It reshapes my body while I am losing weight, but doesn't require the stamina that aerobics do. I don't start aerbics until I get out of induction.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-03, 14:17

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

Not to start an argument, but the statement that you need more carbs is not backed up by Atkins or what research I have been able to find. What Atkins said in the Larry King interview is that you have to be on the plan long enough for your system to convert, after that there should be no preformance hit. There is a study done on female athletes at the University of Buffalo that showd both strength and endurance increaseed on a low carb diet. For any kind of endurance, the body's glycogen stores are exhausted after about 20 minutes and then anybody is running on fat. The important point is the your body has to adjust to the wol, which takes a few weeks.
Both the Inuit and Masai peoples who stay on their traditional diets show great endurance on little or no carbs. the Inuit live in the most hostile climate, the Arctic, know and didn't have access to carbs until the Europeans showed up. The Masai diet is milk, meat and cattle blood, and they traditionally hunt lions with spears. They are still feared by all their neighbors as a fierce people. Being cattle herders, they travel long distances to follow the cattle. Nyah Levi
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-03, 15:30
Registered Member

This is getting interesting! I'll have to go back and read my Atkins materials - maybe it's just a matter of time before my body adjusts??? Think I'll steer clear of the cattle blood

Thanks for your input, Bluesmoke

Pat