Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-01, 08:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

has anybody found any lowcarb products at walmart in canada. i notice on all the american boards that they are picking up things like carbolite bars and carbsolutions at walmart in the states. i know we have a walmart superstore open up in pickering, but i haven't made it there yet. my local walmart has started carrying protein powders, but they're not lowcarb.
debbie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-01, 09:08

Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%

I have seen Atkins bars at one Walmart - Trenton, Ontario. I have checked a few other Walmarts and they haven't had them. Maybe if someone asked they would get them in. I'm not that interested in them though. They were in the pharmacy section. They do have quite a few protein powders at some of them but I have never checked them out too closely. I also get macadamia nuts there.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-01, 14:05

Plan:
Stats: 200/159/130
BF:
Progress:
Default Wal-mart

Ijust called one in the Lower Mainland yesterday while looking for Carb Solution bars and the manager told me they carry the Atkins bars...The 2 flavors they have are the Peanut Butter and Almond Brownie...

#4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-01, 14:49

Plan:
Stats: 165/144/130
BF:
Progress:

In Montreal area Walmarts I have found Pumpkorn. I also found some sugar-free chocolate bars that I thought were too high in carbs until I realized that the counts for maltitol were included in the carb count (in the states they are not.) For example one bar I bought reads like this:
per serving
Carbohydrate 5.4g
Sugar 0.83g
Starch 0.0g
Maltitol 4.6g

You can subtract the count for maltitol (that's what most low carb bars bought stateside do).

(After all those expensive trips to the States I guess this teaches me to read labels more carefully!)

The brands I have found are Cavalier Belgian Chocolate, Choco-slim and Gondole. They are all just as good as De-Lite bars.

I haven't, however, found any kinds of atkins-type bars.

#5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-01, 19:35

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally posted by Renton_lvr
In Montreal area Walmarts I have found Pumpkorn.

where in MTL? I live in the west island. Personally I would't shop at Wal Mart if my life depended on it.

#6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-01, 22:58
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Renton, thanks for the info on products available in Montreal, I'll add them soon to our shopping database.

Dominic, great website!

Wa'il
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-01, 08:05
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 204/196/145
BF:
Progress:
Question dominics reply about Walmart...

What is wrong with shopping at Walmart, Dom? If they have what you want and need it seems to be the place for you to go?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-01, 22:17

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

i hate to generalize, (actually, no i dont. :P ) but wal mart tends to serve, in my opinion, to the lowest common denominator.

at the risk of stepping on peoples toes here, not to mention being off topic, i think wal mart represents whats worst about big companies. I love big companies (yes, really) but i hate walmart.

i cant explain it without getting into too much soddy detail, and no one would be better off with it. lets leave it at that.

#9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-01, 19:38

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

well, i don't like to brag, but i'm certainly not the lowest common denominator. i score above average, just below genius on i.q. tests. i am certainly not ldc. i shop at walmart because i have 5 kids and 2 grandchildren. i shop at walmart because i can buy anything that you can buy anywhere else at almost 1/2 the price. let's not go making discrediting socio-economic judgements on people now. i do believe that is called flaming on the internet and i do know that flaming is not allowed here.