Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 14:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/167.5/164
BF:
Progress: 81%
Default Info from FiberCon...please explain

Last week I asked if anyone know the carb content of a Fibercon tablet. Since there is nothing on the box, I called them up.

here is what they said

Per pill <1 g per pill
9 grams sugar per pill

Does this make sense? And how much should I be counting them? Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 14:42
Registered Member

Stats: 182/167.5/164
BF:

Called back, dietary fiber is 0...so these are about 1 carb each.

To think I have been taking 8 g of carbs with just those
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 14:44
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:

Psyllium Husk Fiber capsules are 1 carb and 1 fiber... ECC 0 and I have always used these with no issues.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 14:47

Stats: 189/159/145 Female 63 inches
BF:40%/39%/low
Progress: 68%
Default HUH?

FIBER CON has no fiber????????????
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 19:27
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally posted by DCMark
Called back, dietary fiber is 0...so these are about 1 carb each.

To think I have been taking 8 g of carbs with just those
Impossible.

The pills weigh less than 1g each, so there's no way they could contain 9g sugar .. that's nearly 2 tsp worth. The pill would be eNORmous!

Perhaps she said milligrams, not grams? 8mg would be 0.008g.

The Fibercon website doesn't list the ingredients, but I did find this at an online drugstore that sells it ...
Quote:
Ingredients:
Active Ingredients: in each caplet: Calcium Polycarbophil (625 mg equivlaent to 500 mg polycarbophi)

Inactive Ingredients: Calcium Carbonate, Caramel, Crospovidone, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Magnesium Stearate, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Mineral Oil, Povidone, Silica Gel, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
The only thing that's a digestible carb in there is caramel, and would be less than 1/10th of a gram per pill. The other celluloses etc are fibers.

The active ingredient, Poycarbophil is not a dietary fiber ... it's a synthetic fiber, made by chemically altering the cellulose fiber from plants/ vegetation so that it becomes resistant to being broken down by bacteria which normally live in our large intestines. It's similar in some ways to methylcellulose. Yes, it is a carbohydrate, just like any fiber .. but is not absorbed and therefore doesn't contribute any calories, nor does it affect blood sugar or insulin. It's sole function is to absorb water and swell up, thereby creating bulk and also helps to soften the stools .. as long as you drink PLENTY of water with it.

Be aware that bulk-forming fiber laxatives such as polycarbophil and psyllium can interfere with the absorption of some nutrients (calcium and iron especially) .. and prescription medicines, especially hormones (thyroid, BCP's etc). It's best to take any fiber supplement one hour before or two hours after you take other supplements and medications.

hth,

Doreen