Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 23:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 253/247/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 6%
Question confusion????what suppliments are ya'll taking??? pls help

heya all, i'm totally confused when it comes to suppliments. ...for some reason i just can't seem to figure out what to take, why to take it or how much? I have never been one for taking suppliments or much else for that matter so maybe that is why i'm not really undertanding?
here is what i am looking to achieve: something to supress cravings especially for sweets, something to help with water retention on occassion, and possibly something for metabolism or energy for workouts.

I guess what I'm really looking for is to know what your taking, how much and if you really notice it working...I don't want to spend all kinds of money to find that it has little or no effect.

Any help would be much appreciated, then i can take it from there and do some more research. Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by sazz : Sat, Aug-02-03 at 23:35.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 23:45
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Sazz,

I agree with you that Dr A's book can be pretty confusing about the supps.

I really don't know what is the best thing to help with energy for workouts. perhaps if you look at the sticky threads in the exercise forums, there will be something there to help you.

I can help with the others though.

Firstly, we should all be taking a multivitamin. Secondly, most of us need to supplement calcium and magnesium. We need at least 1000mg calcium and 500mg magnesium daily - 1500 and 750 if postmenopausal. As it happens, these two minerals work best if taken together. I believe you can get 330:166 mg tabs (where I come from we get 250:125 ). They don't last for more than 12 hours, so it's best to divide the dose. One with each meal seems a good idea.

We can also lose a lot potassium when low carbing. It is suggested (by the Drs Eades of Protein Power) we supplement with 400mg daily (again in divided doses) while losing weight, reducing to 100mg when maintaining. You can buy 99mg tablets or you can use a potassium salt such as No Salt and simply sprinkle it on your food.
If you take the tablets, do take with food as they can irritate the tum, and anyone taking diuretics or BP meds should check with their pharmacist before supplementing with potassium.

Sweet cravings (oh my, I had my share of those ) can be prevented by taking L-Glutamine. Dr A suggests 500-1000mg ½ hour before meals. It really did wonders for me! If you are working out, you might like to buy the powder rather than the tablets, as glutamine can also help remove post exercise muscle aches. For that you'll need at least 2g.

Believe it or not, the best way to remove fluid retention is to drink more water. Lots and lots of water.

HTH!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 00:12
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up Thanks rosebud!!

Hiya Rosebud,

Thanks so much for the info...it has definietly cleared a few things up for me

That No Salt stuff sounds great, I had seen it in the store and was thinking bout trying it to help with this water retention problem (that seems to be a rotten genetic trait), now I know i can kill two birds with one stone.

I think i might look into the L-glutamine as well, and i just started my multi-vitamin today (mom got on me about that one haha).

Thanks again for the info!!!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 08:20

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazz
possibly something for metabolism or energy for workouts.
Hiyah sazz

With respect to boosting metabolism the best, safest and most proven supplement would have to be green tea. It's also a powerful anti oxidant, anti carcinogenic and anti fungal. Great bang for small buck, so to speak.

You can drink the green tea or take it in supplement form. The actual tea needs to be caffinated to work best, but the supplement doesn't (and usually isnt). And you need to drink 7-10 cups to get the metabolic boost from the actual tea, but one capsule of the extract is usually the equivalent of 7-10 cups. If you go with the extract look for a standardized form with 60% polyphenols /catchins.

HTH
-Nat
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 23:02
Registered Member

BF:

thankyou for the help, the green tea sounds right about in my price range I see ur from canada too so i know I should be able to track it down....Thanks again for the help it is really appreciated !!