Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 19:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 153/139/120
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Fitday.com question

I went to fitday.com as many of you have suggested. I thought it was really great....BUT......somthing I've noticed is that it doesn't appear that the carbohydrate amounts in the listing of foods (the ones you choose from to journal your daily food intake) takes into account fiber. Do you understand what I'm trying to explain (having a tough time!).....Where your daily food intake is listed, is does the carb amount listed reflect a deduction for fiber grams in that particular food?

If it doesn't, then it throws the whole breakdown of carb/fat/protien off........and also doesn't make for an accurate daily food journal.

Hmm.....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 19:51

Stats: 151/135/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

The individual listings do not subtract fiber...but if you look at the totals at the top, just under the carbs is the fiber total. You can subtract it in your head to get an accurate count.

Hope that helps!

Tricia
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 20:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by blatla
The individual listings do not subtract fiber...but if you look at the totals at the top, just under the carbs is the fiber total. You can subtract it in your head to get an accurate count.

Hope that helps!

Tricia

Thanks Tricia, but one thing that I really liked was the breakdown that showed your percentages of fat, carb and protien for the day. If the carbs aren't right, it throws everything off. Also, another problem-----any of the LC bars that for instance show "20" grams of carb on the nutrition label, but only have say "2" "active" carbs, can't be added to your daily journal. Even if you try to add it in as a "custom food", it won't accept it because the calculation of calories to carbs is off (since it "technically" has 20 carbs, not the 2 that actually affect blood sugar--the ones WE count as LCers.) So, I'm thinking that fitday just isn't really conducive to a LC diet-----unless someone can help me with these problems!!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 21:05

Stats: 168/154/135
BF:

I asked this same question (and many more) when I started using fitday. What I was told to do - even tho it is a pain at first... is to make them custom foods. I did this with broccoli, green beans, etc.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 21:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by chocy963
I asked this same question (and many more) when I started using fitday. What I was told to do - even tho it is a pain at first... is to make them custom foods. I did this with broccoli, green beans, etc.

Good idea.......still wondering though about how in the heck to add a LC bar into the mix! Just can't get the computer to accept it since the carb/protien/fat percentages won't jive (total carbs compared to impact carbs)

Any of you experienced Fitday-ers have a tip?

Muchos gracias!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 21:19

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

The percentage of carbs that Fitday shows is net of the fiber. For example today my numbers were: 41 carbs less 17 fiber = 24 net carbs times 4 cal per carb = 96 cal divided by 1578 total calories = 6% calories from net carbs.

For the LC bars that have maltitol, I enter the fat, protein and NET carbs per the label and plug the difference into alchohol to make the calories tie to the total per the label.

Last edited by manucpa : Thu, May-15-03 at 21:24.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 22:41

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 271/217/186 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Yep, that is what I do too. Make up the necessary calories in alcohol to fit the food in question.

Pretty accurate for what your body has to do to metabolize it, IMO.