Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 19:23

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%
Default Do you ever get sick of LC foods?

I am wondering do you ever get sick of eating meat/eggs/cheese/ whatever all the time. I have been doing so well on this WOE, I have less hunger, less cravings, less appetite and GREAT weight loss.

However, now I have a problem in that I seem to have TOTALLY gone off two extremely important foods for my WOE. Before I got ill with PCOS I hadn't eaten red meat since I was 16 and only ate chicken like maybe four times a week. Now I am working red meat back in but I've been having so many eggs and so much chicken till now that I can't have either of them anymore.

Whenever I eat eggs I can only stomach maybe one before I have to stop eating. The other day when I eat chicken however, I actually nearly vomited! As a result of this I know I am eating less protein than I should be.

Please help me! What am I supossed to do? I don't want to get sick of all healthy foods. I guess the problem is that I find it so dificult to eat meat so my protein choices are quite limited.

Does anyone have any advice?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 19:58
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi,

I don't think I've ever had that problem, but only because I've always made an effort to really mix it up. I think all I can suggest is that you expand your menu. A few protein suggestions for variety:

-turkey instead of chicken, or try a different cut
-ground chicken or turkey
-ground beef
-deli meats
-fish: canned tuna, fresh fillets, frozen ready-to-bake
-vegetarian products: try some tofu, soy sausages, bologna, etc
-protein powders and shakes

Meat suggestions:
-try making soup or chili, instead of just eating plain meat. I know that gets boring.
-cut pieces up in a salad
-make a cassarole with veggies and pasta sauce

HTH. Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 20:44

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Scarlet

I've had the same reaction to dark meat chicken....is that what you've been eating? I have no problem with white meat, but the dark makes me nauseous!

How about fish? I never tried Salmon until I started this WOE...and it's pretty good!

Other than that, I'd have to agree with Kristine.....just because you're eating Low-carb, doesn't mean it has to be boring!

Check the food forum too....you might find some ideas there!

Good luck!

Cindy
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 23:03

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

You know.....

I don't eat any more meat, cheese and eggs now than I did before I started this diet. I just added more veggies and cut out the bread, pasta, rice and such.

*shrugs* Guess it really depends on how much variety you have in your diet as to *IF* you get tired of it or not.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 07:36
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Protein is in most every food-so you don't have to eat just meats. One meat like food that is good cause you can fix it tons of ways is Portebella mushrooms. Mushrooms are low in carbs and are pretty tasty. I don't eat ANY meat and I average around 50g or 51g of protein a day. According to my current weight, I need around 53g of protein. I looked up how to calculate what I need and according to what I have read you take your weight in pounds divide it by 2.2 to get your weight in kg and multiple that by .8. So, If I use my weight as 146/ 2.2=66.36 kg 66.36*.8=53g of protein per day.

Maybe you should try widening the types of foods you eat. Use this as a time to figure out what kinds of veggies you like.

Paleoanth
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 08:13
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I've been eating cottage cheese for breakfast every morning. I know it slows weight loss for some people, but it doesn't seen to have for me. If you can tolerate cottage cheese, it's lighter than many of the other protein foods and can add some variety to your diet. I mix the cottage cheese with a little fruit (I'm on ongoing weight loss) and that's usually the only extra carbohydrates I eat each day (on top of the salad and vegetables that are basic to Atkins).
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 11:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

And once in a while you can make the "mock danish" for breakfast and have a big salad for lunch...keep the meat to only your dinner meals.

Personally, I'm NEVER tired of LC foods because for so many of my Low Fat years I couldn't have them! Now I make cauliflower with butter, sour cream, shredded cheese, bacon bits...never missed the potato once!

Sometimes, I'll confess, I miss NOT having the NON-LC foods, but that's what flexibility is all about every now and then .
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 15:49
Forum Moderator

BF:
Default Hey Paleoanth

Do you remember where you found that minimum protein requirement calculation? I'm just curious, because that sounds low compared to others that I've seen. For example, in Protein Power, I believe the Eades recommend about a gram of protein daily per pound of lean body mass. So for example, I'm about 140 lbs, and I have about 100 lbs of lean body mass. So I aim for 100 g of protein per day.

...but then again, I guess that's why they called it "PROTEIN power." I realize that different plans have different recommendations for protein intake.

Cheers
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 21:46
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Kristine-

I actually found the same formula on a couple of different sites. I think that for athletes, they recommend higher. The .8 g of protein per kg of body weight is the RDA. Check out this site.

http://exercise.about.com/library/weekly/aa012901b.htm
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 23:53

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally posted by Paleoanth
Kristine-

I actually found the same formula on a couple of different sites. I think that for athletes, they recommend higher. The .8 g of protein per kg of body weight is the RDA. Check out this site.

http://exercise.about.com/library/weekly/aa012901b.htm

The American College of Sports Medicine recommends that calculation...only it has .8, 1 and 1.5 as the numbers.

.8 meaning for less active folks
1 for moderately active
1.5 for the gunho types

It was part of my AFAA test, so I had to memorize which was which
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-02, 09:29
Forum Moderator

BF:

Ah, cool. Thanks, folks.

The only thing I'll add is that RDAs are written with the intent of avoiding a deficiency, not necessarily for optimal health. So any time I see the argument, "but the RDA is only (x)," I get skeptical. Sure, there's no point going to excess, but most RDAs are a *bare* minimum.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-02, 15:28

Plan: low-carb Ali style
Stats: 175/167.5/145 Female 5ft 7inches
BF:No idea
Progress: 25%

Hi Scarlet,

YES YES I feel exactly the same.
I too am not a big read meat eater, infact I can not stomach it. Therefore my staple has always been chicken but I was only eating it maybe twice a week.
I've tried cooking eggs in all sorts of different ways but I'm now getting to that "gagging" stage. The thought of another omelette, OMG...I can't even type it.
I've tried alot of the recipes in the "kitchen" section...which are all very good, really like the awesome brocoli chicken....but I'm running out of ideas.
Salads are another "yuk" for me now too.

I never...NEVER got bored or couldn't stomach pasta or bread.
I was a bread addict..big time !!

So..I'm persevering and looking for more ideas.
Is this hard or what !!!

Good luck
Ali
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-02, 16:10

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268/218/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

Why are you just eating meat/eggs/cheese? You have to put an effort into this to succeed

Heres a sample menus for me off the top of my head:

#1: Breakfast: 3 egg omellette filled with spinach/feta/sundried tomatoes - cheddar melted on top

#2 Breakfast: Huge burger patty smothered in mushrooms and swiss cheese - mayo and keto ketchup

Snack: macadamia nuts, celery and cream cheese or peanut butter

#1: Lunch: peppered turkey slices..nippy cheese..pickles..olives wrapped in ice burg lettuce leaves dipped in mayo sauce

#2: Lunch: full can tuna/mayo/celery/chives - either with lettuce or on lc bread or rev rolls.

Snack: pork rinds and sour cream dip, salted pecans

#1: Dinner: taco salad: ground beef/taco seasoning/lettuce/salsa/cheese/sour cream - taco chips made out of lc tortillas and baked

#2: Dinnerr: Stuffed mushroom caps or baked Garlic shrimp as an appy....12oz steak barbecued..caeser salad..brocoli and cheese sauce.

Dessert: LC cheesecake with chocolate sauce or whipped cream with sliced berries

Now how could you possibly get sick of any of that? I dont eat the same things twice in a week..you have to be creative
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-02, 20:43

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

I feared that in the end it would all come down to recipes. To be honest however though, when I do this I end up spending lots of time in the kitchen and I don't like that. I don't like salads but I do make myself eat them yes, and I do eat veggies, but there still has to be protein with the veggies.

I am COMPLETELY allergic to tomatos and peppers also so that means many spicy dishes and nice salads are out. I do my best though and as I said am starting to eat red meat again and also fish. I also eat vegetarian substitutes.

I have tired lots of new things recently, but I am just afraid that one day there will be nothing left for me to eat. I AM SURE that is just an irrational fear but I have never been so successful at losing weight and I worry that soon my luck will run out.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 02:34

Plan: low-carb Ali style
Stats: 175/167.5/145 Female 5ft 7inches
BF:No idea
Progress: 25%

Hi again Scarlet,
People that can eat anything just don't understand do they?
I could no more eat a 12oz steak than chew on my arm so it means we have to be more creative with the foods that we can tolerate.
Unfortunately we're not all born chefs. I work full-time (start at 8am) and have 2 children so I just don't have time to cook gourmet meals for breakfast.
That means that I have to plan ahead....I make myself do this cos I want to be healthy.

Good luck finding other foods to suit you on this WOE.
Ali