Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 08:39
Registered Member

Plan: the South Beach Diet
Stats: 155/150/130 Female 5-3
BF:
Progress:
Default hello... I'm South Beach Dieter

just wondered if anyone else was on the South Beach diet?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 09:02
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 189/175/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:
Default South Beach

My Husband wants to try this diet after we get back from vaction in Sept. I have the book just have not read it as of yet. I'm waiting so that i have something to read in the car on the way there. What can you tell me abt it & how is it different then Atkins? I also see your from Grand Rapids, I live just north of you between Rockford & Cedar Springs.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 16:02
Keto-licious

Plan: Atkins/low carb
Stats: 211.6/208/200 Female 5ft 6"
BF:38/38%/20%
Progress: 31%

Don’t give up on the diet – it can sometimes take time to get the results that you want , but remember that it didn’t take you overnight to get this way – and it will take longer than overnight to fix the problem! But it works!!!! Stick with it!!! xx
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 12:09
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

tbaker- I love the diet.. so far, so good. I don't actually weigh myself (we don't have a scale) but I can feel some pounds have shed already. (I'm on Day 10 now!!)

The book is excellant and will give you very good insight about why carbs are fattening and what carbs are good & bad.

I haven't found a huge simularity with Atkins. It's very similiar.
Here's an article that may help...
http://www.courier-journal.com/feat...h0731-3743.html
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 12:46

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 175/139/125 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%
Cool me too!

Just started on the South Beach diet a few days ago, after I returned from vacation. I'm not even half-way through the book yet, but I've got a pretty good grasp of how it's supposed to work. Not sure if I'm "ketosing" yet, but I've been dealing with some annoying headaches lately, and also feel very fatigued. I'm also feeling a little depressed and irritable. Even vigorous exercise has not seemed to help how I feel. This has not been easy to deal with, with my busy schedule & everything, including caring for my 16-month old daughter and constantly dealing with pressure from my husband to do this or do that. I've been wanting to lose weight for four years now, but too many things seemed to get in the way, plus I love my beer & wine (which I really miss in phase 1)! I finally just got so fed up with not looking like I did when I was in my 20s, and I feel like I'm always dreading running into people I haven't seen in years. I'm finally gonna do it - and this time I'm not going to let anything get in my way! The South Beach diet is actually pretty easy to follow so far - I'm not going to weigh myself right away, though, as I'm afraid I'll get discouraged too easily. I hope it is working for you - I'll be anxious to hear!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 08:02
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I haven't weighed myself at all really. I'm wondering why I haven't lost more weight though! I've completely switched my diet to "good" foods, so I figured the pounds would shed.

Today is my 15th day but I think I will lean more toward the "induction" phaze for now.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 20:59

Stats: 240/227/145 Female 64 inches
BF:36%
Progress:
Default I am on the beach!

It works wonderfully!

#8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 22:34

BF:
Thumbs up go beach babies!

Sounds like it's working well! I've just completed my first week on the SBD, and finally I'm starting to feel better, although I could still use a little help with the constipation I've been suffering. I haven't weighed myself yet, but (even though nobody else would be able to tell yet ) I could swear my clothes looked & felt different on me today. I really, really hope this works for me, cuz I really want to show everyone out there that I can do it! My best to all beachers out there!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 12:48
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariela
It works wonderfully!

That's good to know!! Thanks!!

I'm finally starting to really really know it's working well!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 01:42

Plan: 8/19/03 SBD
Stats: 133/130.5/120 Female 5'2
BF:25%
Progress: 19%
Default Diet Soda okay during Phase 1?

I bought the book yesterday and skimmed through it. I love my fruits but I think I can last two weeks on SBD.

My question:
I read no sugars in Phase 1, does that also mean artificial sweeteners?
I usually have a can or two a day of Diet Rite (caffeine free w/splenda)
I searched the forums and internet and can't find out if diet soda is okay during Phase 1.

I also read "unsalted" almonds or nuts as a snack during Phase 1 is okay. My problem is I only like snacking on salted sunflower seeds. I'm hoping that won't effect anything as long as I keep my water intake high.

Thanks,
Ang
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 08:35

Plan: low carb, low sodium
Stats: 205/164.5/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Ang,
I am so glad to find people who are doing SB!
I had the same question about sunflower seeds. I decided nuts and seeds are probably the same, so I ate them and I had a good loss after the first 2 weeks so they're probably okay.
I don't remember what he says about diet soda and art. sweeteners during phase 1, I'll have to check. I remember having a couple diet sodas in the beginning.
I love the flexibility of SB, especially the fruit, though I stick to the lowest carb choices like strawberries.
Good luck!
-J
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 11:19

Hi Jana,

Thanks for the advice! I agree I definitely love the flexibility of the SBD.
Did you register to the SBD forums and tools on their website? I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Were you strict on couting the seeds/nuts for your snacks? The book said something about 20 almonds or 30 pistachios. Since I only like sunflower seeds I'm guessing one handful would be an equivalent snack size?

If you hear or read anything about artificial sweetners in diet sodas being okay in Phase 1 please let me know.

Thanks a bunch,
Ang
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 11:36

BF:
Smile artificial sweeteners

Hello AngHB, I believe diet sodas are legal on the SBD - everything in moderation, of course. Diet Rite, containing Splenda, is actually one of the better choices. I would choose products containing Splenda over those containing aspartame (Nutrasweet, Equal), which is known to cause some people to stall in their weight loss. Plus, as you may or may not be aware, there is a lot of talk out there concerning the potential dangers of aspartame. Another sweetener highly recommended these days is stevia (herbal), which you can find in health food stores - this one I believe is considered the safest. I hope the SBD is working for you! I just finished with Phase 1 and am still having problems with constipation (fun)!
Good luck!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 12:13

Thanks Lulu for the info. I sure am glad I can have my Diet Rite!

I just registered to Prevention, they have a big SBD forums over there.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 13:07

Plan: low carb, low sodium
Stats: 205/164.5/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 51%
Smile Hi Steph

Looks like your thread got hijacked. Guess we were just happy to find a SB thread. Glad to hear you're feeling like it's working. Did you get a scale?
As for the constipation, are you drinking enough water. That really helps!

Ang,
I was going to post this in your journal but, alas, you don't have one. There's a dessert recipe on the SB site, suitable for phase 1, that uses artificial sweetener. Looks like you and your diet-rite won't have to split up for phase 1! Have you had the diet-rite orange? Maybe it's tangerine.
I don't measure the sunflower seeds either.......I take a small handful occasionally or sprinkle a little on salads.
-J

Last edited by JanaBanana : Tue, Aug-19-03 at 13:15.