Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-02, 11:10

Plan: protein power
Stats: 160/160/135 Female 69in
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default what works to keep from being nauseated in the beginning???

Hey guys & gals- i am new to the PP plan, just starting today. I did start two days ago but yesterday I did really bad and ate lots of chocolate I am such a carbo addict. I was wondering if there is anything that anyone has tried that settles the nauseating feeling that i always get once i try the PP plan. The first time i tried it i stayed on for three weeks but i never felt nauseous. Then the next couple of times i tried it, every time i eat meat or eggs i feel like i am going to puke. Why does this happen and what can i do to either stop it or leesen it so i do not quit doing PP? Also, is it okay to have some sugar free pudding while in induction on this plan or not? i never hear anyone mention sugar free pudding.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-02, 11:18

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Catters, are you taking your supplements / vitamins and getting your water in? The nausea you mention could be detoxing from the carbs - it effects many of us differently. Often it's accompanied by a headache and fatigue - a sign that along with the water weight you're losing you're also losing potassium and sodium.

A good multi vitamin, a calcium / magnesium supplement (from chelated minerals) some potassium (either in pill format or from a product like 'nusalt' or 'morton's light salt') and at least 2 litres of water a day will help you feel better.

SF pudding is OK if you're doing Protein Power - but in moderation. The idea is to get those sugars out of your body and change your desire for them. Some of us find that eating the fake sugars makes us want the real thing. If you were doing Atkins then the pudding would not be ok, as most are made with aspartame and that is not permitted on Induction. (FYI, Induction is not part of Protein Power).

You might want to pull out your copy of PP and give yourself a little refersher course - the book should be your closest companion over the next few weeks.

Hope you're feeling better soon,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-02, 13:08
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hiya. Just to add to what Nat said, I find it easier on the stomach to eat smaller meals. It would also help to avoid eating *just* a big hunk of meat or a big plate of scrambled eggs: try to have some veggies with it, or turn your meat into a soup, salad or chili. Turn your eggs into an omelette.

I know PP sets its 'goal' protein levels on a 'per meal' basis, but I prefer to figure out what I need for the day, and break it down into 5 or 6 smaller meals.

HTH, best o' luck.