Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 17:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/140/117 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 18%
Lightbulb Need breakfast ideas

Day one is almost over and I must say I ate quite well!! Its been a long time since I've consumed that much meat as I am usually following low fat diets. I went grocery shopping this morning and I'm all stocked up for three or four more days.
I have a week-long vacation at Disney World coming up in about 2 weeks and hopefully by then I'll feel comfortable enough with this WOE to work around it. The lunchs and dinners in restaurants aren't worrying me as much as the breakfasts that we'll probably be eating in out room, as we have an efficiency unit with a microwave & refrigerator. And as far as I'm concerned microwaved eggs suck! Any other ideas that I can whip up for breakfast?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 22:41

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

You'll be off Induction by your vacation I'm thinking.

How about going to a store the night before and buying a roasted chicken. You could eat that for dinner AND have leftovers for breakfast! You may also be able to find a few berries (raspberries or strawberries) to have with it. Throw in a little whipped cream, and you'd have a pretty well-rounded breakfast!

Just an idea! I find this WOE sometimes takes some real creativity. My daughter just loves low-carb bread made into French toast topped with berries and cream, but I can't see that in a microwave.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 02:10

Plan: Fuhrmann
Stats: 248/229.5/170 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I have no trouble boiling eggs in the microwave. It might also work for poaching.

Heat a mug of water, as if you are reheating a cup of coffee. Then add the egg to the piping hot water. Cook it at about 40% power for 5 minutes. Douse it with cold water to make the shell easy to peel. Chop it and drop it on a bowl of greens and any other veggies you have around. Add unrefined extra virgin olive oil and pepper. Enjoy.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 05:56

Stats: 264/246/175 Female 65"
BF:??/47%/35%
Progress: 20%

Why not try the microwaveable bacon....it only takes 5 seconds per slice and doesn't need refrigeration. There's microwaveable sausage too.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 16:02
LC,Gain,Repeat

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 278/253/220 Male 6'0"
BF:bouyant
Progress: 43%

CeeTee-

When I travel, I sometimes eat some mild-tasting cheese
like string cheese for breakfast.

If you're out of induction by then, and feel comfortable
with either of the following, you could also try:

Cream cheese or Low-Sugar Peanut butter on celery.

Carbsense hot cereal (has microwave directions)-
needs cream & splenda to jazz it up.

I've eaten leftover chicken, or even a salad, for
breakfast, if there's nothing else available.

Good Luck,

Mark
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 19:02
Registered Member

BF:

Everyone, thanks for the great ideas...
"Marks" suggested something called Carbsense hot cereal. Haven't seen that yet. Is it in the regular grocery stores or specialty/health stores? Is Carbsense the manufacturer? How many carbs does it have per serving? My husband's been following this WOE along with me but he's having trouble with the eggs in the morning. Thanks again!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 03:46

Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

Once you're out of induction, here's what we have for breakfast - cos its quick and easy.

100g greek yoghurt - 4 carbs
3 strawberries - 3 carbs (or a small spoon of frozen berries)
1 raw egg

mix these together in a blender and drink - yum. I add water to make mine a bit runnier, DH adds heavy cream and water (!) cos he can afford the extra calories.

Jay
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 05:07

Plan: Atkins/Low carb
Stats: 187/134/134 Female 5' 7"
BF:15%
Progress: 100%

Boy I have alot of ideas for breakfast.

I hold meetings regarding low carb every month and breakfast was a topic.

There is so much you can have besides bacon and eggs and yes even on induction.

Atkins Morning Start bars are a great start.
Atkins Morning Start cereal. You can find a low carb milk at super walmart called carb countdown by hood. Only 3 grams per cup

Granola by flax o meal
Flax o meal has a hot cereal in about 4 flavors
Keto hot cereal
Folding pancakes
French Toast
O so Lo makes sweet rolls in Cinnomon Raisen and Banana Walnut, toast add butter and cream cheese.

I've made cinnmon rolls from the Keto Cinnomon raisen bread mix

Muffins by atkins and carbsense, the apple cinnomon are awesome.

For those of you who are past induction. Atkins Bagels are awesome they are between 7 - 9 grams for a whole bagel.

Blue bunny lite 85 yogurt comes in about 4 grams per cub, you can find that iinfo on www.lowcarbluxary.com.

Keto Flakes

Well that's all i can think of this early in the morning. I hope this help.

I'd also like to let you know that I've been on a low carb plan for 7 years and so far not any problems. Also just turned 40 yesterday

Have a great day
Marie
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 07:35

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Where to get the CarbSense hot cereal? The only place I've found it yet is the health food store. There are also a couple of other low carb hot cereals on the market (also only found at my health food store so far) like Keto Oatmeal or Low Carb Success hot cereals. Be forewarned...they're a bit on the expensive side..$6.00 and up for a box or bag, but they usually contain 6-9 servings each. They're high in fiber, taste pretty good and will keep you filled up for quite a while, especially if you top them with butter and heavy cream.
Keto and Atkins also both make low carb cold cereals that you can have with heavy cream (I mix mine with half water) or low carb soy milk.
If you can't find them in your local health food stores, they can also be ordered over the internet; just do a web search for whatever product you're looking for.

Here are some other options:

-Make chicken salad and have it on low carb bread; lots of stores are now carrying breads with a very low carb count, shop around.
-Eat leftovers from dinner the night before
-Have some sugar-free peanut butter on low carb toast
-get some ham or roast beef, spread it with soft cream cheese and roll it up
-hard boil some eggs before you go, take them along in a cooler and heat them up in a cup of hot water in your room.
-in a pinch, you could have an Atkins shake, although I personally don't like drinking my breakfast. If you have a blender available in your room, you could also add some berries and blend it for a breakfast smoothie
-bring some whey protein powder (your choice of flavor as long as it's sugar-free) and make a protein shake with berries and cream.

Hope you enjoy your vacation!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 11:23

Most of the low carb stuff I'm able to find at a health food store, I have noticed that bigger grocer chains are carrying more products.

For use in the Cold cereals and hot cereals as well, not sure if you caught it in my last post.

Super Walmart carries a low carb milk, comes in whole, 2% and skim also choc. It's 3 grams per cup. It's made by hood and its called Carb Countdown. It taste really good. I give it to my kids for breakfast w/ their cereal and they didn't even notice the difference.

Also for some of the Carbsense stuff you can log onto www.vitaglo.com they carry a variety of stuff and I find it cheaper. If you don't see it on the web page don't hesitate to call. As the low carb is becoming more popular updating the computers is taking a little more time.

Have a great low carb day.

Marie
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 13:18
Registered Member

BF:

WOW!! Thanks again for all the new info. I went to my local Vitamin store today and found Keto oatmeal. We'll give it a try tomorrow morning. I hesitated to get the cold cereal because I didn't realize that they even made a LC milk product. I'll look for that next. I also bought a few LC bars that stated "2 or 3 Net Carbs" on the front of the wrappers. When I got home (put my glasses on)and read the small nutritional info on the back I was surprised that the actual Carb counts were in the 20's and the fiber (which I figured they merely subtracted out to get the net number) was only 4 or 5 grams. One bar stated, "Only the NET CARB COUNT of 3 g of carbs should be counted toward your daily carbo intake. The remaining 20 g of NON-IMPACT CARBS come from glycerine, malitol and fiber, all of which have a minimal impact on blood sugar levels." Should I be eating these?
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 09:52

CeeTee

In reply to eating the LC bars, yes it is ok to eat them. You can subtract the fiber and sugar alcohols as the sugar alcohols have a minimal impact on your blood sugar levels.

But be cautious. Sugar Alochols can cause cramping, bloating and diarhea. Some people are a little more sensitive to SA. The bigges culprit is Malitol. I'm not sure how much bars you are eating, but I find 2 a day is fine, but keep in mind if you eat the bars plus your little chocolate fix it may hamper your results. Just be sure to include these in your counts. Also careful of the calories, some of those bars are 200 plus calories.

How was the oatmeal? I found that I have to adjust the water so it isn't so sticky. Other than that it's not that bad. Hope this helps.

Have a good day.

marie
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 09:04
Registered Member

BF:

Firmbeauty-
The oatmeal was a very strange consistency...I, also adjusted the water because it was too runny. I put a bit of cream in it, but no sweetener was necessary because it was kinda sweet on its own. I couldn't eat it every day...geez, I couldn't afford to!
As for the bars, I might have one in the evening for a snack or for an on-the-go lunch if I was in a pinch. Actually half of one is fine for me.
According to your stats it looks like you';ve done really well. Did you loose all of your weight over the past year? How did induction go for you? I typically loose very slowly and I was hoping that I'd see a good drop this first week...but so far it's only 2 pounds and I've been very, very good!!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 09:20

Cee tee

I agree w/ the oatmeal consistancy. It is kind of weird but not too bad, I don't eat it everyday, but have to adjust it according to my taste, sometimes I add a little sweetner. I really like the Hot Cereal by Flax o meal, that is better tasting than the keto stuff.

I've been Low carbing for 7 years, when I first started it took me about 9 months to loose the weight I wanted. I usually loose fast. So if you are a slow looser with other diets, then more likely you will be a slow looser, but that's ok you don't want to loose to fast, and this diet is a healhty way to do it. Everybody's carb intake is different, that's what I think is neat.

Congrats on you weight loss, two pounds isn't bad and remember most of the weight you loose in the first two weeks is generally water weight and I know I retained alot of water before starting this diet. Now I drink lots of water. Are you exercising regularly also? That makes a difference in the number game we play. Also depending on that TOM can throw us off.

Well, if you need more breakfast ideas let me know. So depending on your carb intake we can go from there. I generally eat more carbs in the morning as I do most of my exercising and training in the morning hours.

Have a great low carb day

marie
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 09:21

Hey Cee tee

I noticied you live in upstate NY. Was wondering where abouts as I live in the CNY region. It would be cool if we could get together.

Take Care

Marie