Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 00:59

Plan: Trying Atkins
Stats: 130/122/115
BF:
Progress: 53%
Unhappy Induction... Again

Hey Everyone,

I tried induction once, about a month ago, and I did great. Lost about 7 pounds, and I don't want to lose more than about 8 more anyway. Then I feel like I stalled, and I really cheated, especially on weekends with my friends (alcohol+pizza=no good!). I gained a few pounds back, nothing major, and I also was eating a lot of Atkins, Keto and Cheeters products, which I think also contributed to my stall after reading other posts.

I'm going to try induction again, naturally this time, but I feel like I need to cut it down to less than 20 grams of cbs this time, b/c I have read that people have a harder time getting back into it the second time around. I read somewhere that you could fast for 24 hours before you begin induction, but I'm not so sure that's safe! I guess my question is: After a weekend of eating pizza and drinking beer, can I just start back into induction with 20 cbs a day as soon as tomorrow?

I am also having a hard time grasping that I can eat a steak or chicken and salad for dinner and not gain weight! How do you guys get past the psychological part of this WOL?

And cheese! Does more than 4 oz cause a stall in some people or does it depend on the person?

Any good suggestions for salad dressing? Ranch is out, and Italian still has 2 grams!

I have been trying the Atkins Accel. Has anyone else out there tried it? I am also confused (although I have read DANDR) as to what supplements I need. Could anyone give me a list of those also?

I guess that's all my questions for now. I'm pretty worried about being on induction over Thanksgiving but I am hoping to just eat a lot of turkey (0 cbs, right??) and get through it! Don't know if I'll make it through the pumkpin and apple pie though!

One more ques actually: Sugar Free Jolly Ranchers: Good or Bad? I know they have sugar alcohols in them but sometimes I really need something to take the edge off. I've been chewing Trident, but that still has 1 gram sugar alcohol.

Thanks to everyone in advance for the help! This site is great!

~Corie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 09:50
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Am I reading your stats right? Dude, at 5'8" and 122 lbs, you are already underweight. No weight loss plan in the universe is going to work very well when you have nothing left to lose. Why do you feel you need to lose weight, especially on induction? Are you struggling with eating disorder issues?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 09:58

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%
Smile Look at you and all your questions!

Okay, miss questioner, well I like answering, so I'll give it a shot.

First of all, I don't want to lecture (lectures suck) but according to your profile you're 5'8" and currently weigh 122 pounds. Unless you have an extremely small frame, that seems to be a very ideal weight to me. But to each his own, just make sure you have enough core weight to support yourself. Generally people need 100 pounds for the first 5 feet of the body and five or so pounds per inch after that. Lecture over.

Now on to induction questions... you seem to know how to do it since you went through it before. You're concerned about not being able to lose weight again, but weight loss is going to be slow for you no matter what considering you don't have much more you want to lose.

Another thing, a "stall" is not considered such by most people unless it lasts 4-6 weeks. Your body needs time to adjust to weight loss and will take it. Be patient and let your body decide when it wants to drop fat. It doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong.

Cheese depends on the individual. As do sugar alcohols. It's probably a good idea to try to give up sweeteners for at least the first part of induction, just to get the desire for them out of your system.

I deal psychologically with eating steak and salad knowing it tastes good and the theory (and results) prove it. Plus I love the irony of it. It's fun to order steak, shrimp, veggies, and a salad with fatty dressing and exclaim, "I'm on a diet!"

Speaking of dressings... I usually find prepared ones with one carb per serving (Caesar is probably the lowest) but if you want to make your own there are some good oil and vinegar mixes, and mayonnaise dressings to try.

Okay, I've babbled on for long enough. Hope some of that helps. Good luck and happy low-carbing!