Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 22:52

Plan: Dr atkins
Stats: 330/326/200
BF:
Progress: 3%
Unhappy New baby, lot of weight gained; I need help!!!

Truthfully, does this really work?????

Hello everyone.
As you all know by now, I recently had a baby boy seven months ago. With this baby it pushed me over the 300lbs mark without any problem. I have been depressed every since. I'm a 25 year old wife and mother of three, and after each baby iI gained at least 40lbs and never lost it. I'm 5'10' and broad and big boned, but i feel i'm at least 100lbs over weight. I know the weight is constantly piling on while i'm sitting around being depressed, but i just can't find the motivation to get moving. My husband works out every day, and he weight 235lbs with only 3% body fat. He tries to get me going but his work out doesn't motivate me, because it includes a lot of weight lifting. Gaining more weight is the last thing i want to do at this point.

I've heard alot about the Atkins diet, but not all has been good. Can someone please tell me thruth. I have read the book induction part. Sould i start with the induction and continue to read or read first ten start? Someone please help me get started, and letme know what i'm really up against.

~Nubian~

Last edited by nubian : Tue, Feb-04-03 at 23:17.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 23:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi Nubian and welcome. As you have already begun to lose, you already KNOW it works.

If you have read the Induction part, go ahead and follow the Induction list for the 2 weeks. It would be reasonable to lose 10% of the excess weight during this time IF you stick to the plan. This way of eating is chemical - it changes the way your body processes food, so even ONE BITE WILL HURT. Your liver will know if a sugar or starch carb passes your lips and will switch back to storing fat.

However, do go back and start at the beginning of the book and learn WHY and HOW this low carb plan works.

By the way, lifting weights will BURN fat while adding muscle tissue. That means you'll get SMALLER since muscle takes up less room than fat. But wait until after Induction to start that. There are a lot of changes and adjustments that will take place in your body. So be gentle for the first 14 days.

If you go and visit around the forum, you will see lots of people who have already lost 100 pounds and many more who are on the way.

It WILL WORK and you CAN LOSE the pounds. Read the book and follow the plan exactly and you WILL SHRINK!

All the best.

By the way, please take your e-mail out of the message - you can put it in your profile if you want. Even without the 'at' sign, it attracts those nasty 'bot' programs that search for e-mails to spam. Thanks.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 02:09

Stats: 161/152/125 Female 64
BF:35/32/18
Progress: 25%
Default Hi!

Welcome! This is a great place to find answers to your questions. One thing I'd like to mention is that this seems to work best the first time you do it - if you do it for a while then go off, then start again, it is sometimes harder. There's a link posted by Bonnie about the Golden Opportunity you might want to check out. golden opportunity

This way of eating will work for you like it has worked for so many! If you want some real inspiration, check out DWRolfe's journal.

We are all here ready to help you out - best of luck!

Last edited by catspaw : Wed, Feb-05-03 at 02:11.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 09:16

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

WELCOME Nubian!

You sure aren't alone! This low-carbing really does work and you don't have to be hungry or miserable. There is lots of variety and it gets fun to experiment. A couple of suggestions that might help you:

The Triple Digit Club is a great place on the forum for those of us who have over 100 pounds to lose. We face a lot of the same issues with being overweight and a lot of common struggles. We are here for the long haul so feel free to pop over there and visit!

A journal can be a great tool. You can keep track of how you are doing and what issues you are dealing with. Visiting other people's journals can be very helpful. You can make friends and find support very easily. When you see someone make a post that you can really identify with, or you just like someone's way of expressing themselves, you might want to check out their journal. We work very hard to support each other and you can sure learn a lot on the way. Anytime I feel discouraged or fed up with it - I can find someone who has felt the exact same way.

A lot of us have tried everything else to lose weight and we have just watched our weight go up over the years. I can do this forever and I know when I am 80 I will still be eating low-carb. It really isn't a diet, that is what makes it so differnt. Take Care and I hope to see you around! Cindi