Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 13:12

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%
Default Blood pressure highish. Any tips.

When I started this diet/WOL just over a year ago I was 100 Kilos (220lbs) and had blood pressure of 160 over 100. Within six months I had got down to 77 kilos (169 lbs) and my blood pressure had dropped to about 140 over 80.

Due to the odd binge and creeping carbs I was back up to 86 kilos (189lbs) until a month ago. I saw my doctor and he was concerned that my blood pressure had risen back to 150 over 100. Now I've go the bug again, tweeked my diet a bit and lost 4 kilos. Now I'm 82 kilos (180lbs) and trying to get my blood pressure down.

I've bought some hand weights and started daily excercise. I've also stopped puttting salt on food when cooking.

My doctor is keen on prescribing some kind of medication but I've asked for a few months grace to try and get it down myself by natural means.

I've read moany of the postings on this site and am cutting down on salt and excercising more. I am keen on herbal medicine. If anyone knows of any natural remedies I might try or anything else, please share with me.

Thanks in advance,
Robert
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 07:11
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb

hi Robert,

Certainly, exercise and cutting back on salt will be helpful. But it's possible you may be sensitive to arachidonic acid (AA). AA is a fatty acid that's found in the FAT of red meats and egg yolks. It can cause elevated blood pressure and a host of other symptoms. Here's what the Drs. Eades of Protein Power have to say about this:
Quote:
Can I really eat all the red meat and egg yolks I want?

Most people can. However, there are a few concerns to keep in mind. First, you can’t do the Protein Power Plan halfway. You can’t increase your protein foods haphazardly and continue to eat carbohydrates as you do now and expect to see results. In fact, you’ll be worsening your problems if you do so.

Second, there are some people who may have problems with large amounts of red meat and large quantities of egg yolks. These people: have elevated blood pressure and/or cholesterol, retain abnormally high amounts of fluid, and/or suffer from inflammatory conditions such as skin rashes, asthma, allergies, bursitis, or arthritis.

It’s not the cholesterol in red meat and egg yolks that is the problem. It’s the fact that they are high in arachidonic acid, which can promote or worsen the above conditions.

Here is the strategy for these folks to follow: Eliminate red meat and egg yolks from your diet completely for three weeks. At the end of the three week period, take stock of your health. Has it improved? Eat a large portion of red meat and eggs for a couple of meals and observe what happens. If your problems reappear of get worse, you are sensitive to arachidonic acid and should have these foods only once in a while. When you do have them, make sure to remove as much of the fat from the beef as possible. Grill the beef. This will reduce the arachidonic acid by as much as 35%. Another option is to marinate the meat in a combination of red wine and olive oil or light sesame oil for 24 hours before grilling.

As far as eggs are concerned, have no more than one or two whole eggs at a sitting, and eat egg whites the rest of the time. Also, you should avoid margarine altogether (as everyone should).

http://eatprotein.com/answers6.html#6b
Since AA is in the fat, not the meat itself, you could have red meat as long as you chose the leanest cuts and no ground beef, since the fat is mixed in throughout the meat. Use olive oil or herbed butter for cooking, or dressing the meat after cooking.

Potassium helps with fluid and salt balance in the body. Are you taking a potassium supplement? You might consider taking extra ... or use a potassium-based salt substitute such as No Salt or Nu Salt. Note .. do not use potassium supplements or substitute if you're taking certain blood pressure or heart medications ... discuss with your doctor or pharmacist first.

Hope this is helpful,

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 12:43

Dear Doreen,

Thanks for all the information. I doubt if I am sensitive to arachidonic acid as I managed to get my blood pressure down before when I got as low as 77 kilos and I don't have any of the other symtoms you mention.

I'll try taking potassium suppliments first as I am not taking any blood pressure or heart medications, and I notice that my daily vitamin and mineral supplimant does not contain potassium!

If this, and all the other measures I'm taking do not work I'll try going without red meat and egg yolks for a three weeks or two and see what happens (Boo hoo - I love eggs). (At least I'll get enough fish!)

Many thanks again,
Robert
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 15:43

Plan: Atkins/Kaufmann
Stats: 230/203/140
BF:48
Progress: 30%

#5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 16:20

WOW!!!

That is one heck of a link. I've got enough to read now. It has given me ideas already on things I can do and dietry changes I can make.

many thanks... I'll let you kind folks know how it goes.

Robert