Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 13:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/142/128
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default Atkins corn bread muffin mix

I tried the Atkins corn bread muffin mix the other night. I thought
it was excellent. Very easy to make and my family could not tell the diffrence. Satisfied my cravings for corn bread for now. Thought you guys would like to know about this great product. I want to try the other muffin mixes also. thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 18:59

Stats: 228/156/140 Female 66 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 82%

I was actually going to use this mix to make stuffing this year for Thanksgiving but it got stuck at the border and got sent back to the states Now I will not get the cornbread mix for another week and a half or so.
I am glad to hear it is good though!

Thank you
Candice
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 11:01

Stats: 225/189/170
BF:
Progress: 65%

It is really good. A perfect complement to low carb chili (just good old fashion chili without the bean - as god intended it) for Sunday afternoon fall football.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-02, 15:33

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I shared these with a co-worker who is also low carbing and he said they were probably the best cornbread muffins he's ever had.
Kaylward...I agree; they're wonderful with a good beanless chili!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 13:57
Registered Member

Stats: 350/304.5/250
BF:50%
Progress: 20%
Smile muffins

GREAT I tried the lemon poppyseed muffins. I wanted something sweeter but they where great. They really helped me get thru the craving I was having.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 12:50

Plan: Low Carb - Real Foods
Stats: 177/168.5/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Blueberry muffins

I made the blueberry muffins... I tell you, I wasn't expecting much.

Was I wrong!!!

Man!!! Were they good. I made them for my running club a couple weeks ago, they loved them! One of the girls isn't even a low carber!

I have a box of Chocolate Chocolate Chip to try. Anyone else try that one?

Linnea
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-03, 10:17

Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%
Thumbs up

I haven't had the corn muffins yet. (Never been a big fan of corn bread.) But I have had the blueberry muffins. Oh my god, they were so good! I only made them once because it was tough to stop at one. I did freeze them and they froze well. Nothing is better than a blueberry muffin with a big smear of butter! Yum!

I only make a baked product once a month. I made the Atkins Brownies and they were so good I overate what I should have. Good news is that it didn't effect my Keotosis or weight loss. However, the sweet eater that I am (or all of us, isn't that why we are low carbing) I need to limit these products to an occasional treat.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 07:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 272/241/150
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default atkins muffins are awesome

All the muffin mixes use Hi-maize instead of soy flour, so the taste and texture is the closest to the real thing that you can get. (I've tried Keto products that are soy based and they are majorly GROSS.)

Just have to be careful with the chocolate muffins and the brownies. The carb count is higher - and thats if you don't count the maltitol. If you do count the maltitol, the carb count is quite high. The chocolate can be quite addictive.

Here's a tip for a special (occasional) treat: Add an extra egg and a tsp of baking powder to the chocolate muffin mix - it changes the texture to chocolate cake! :-)

Atkins bread mixes are also handy for making rolls - if you make a bread LOAF, it has trouble holding its shape. Also, you can use the bread mix (minus the yeast) as a substitute for soy based Atkins bake mix. Hi-maize is wonderful stuff!

Last edited by RhaChaCha : Mon, Jan-06-03 at 07:52.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 18:33

BF:

I agree that the taste of Hi-maize is SOOOOOO much better than soy. Do you know if one can purchase their own hi0maize? Do you know if there are any problems associated with it?
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 08:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 272/241/150
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default hi-maize

hi-maize is not available for retail. you can only buy products made with it. However, the atkins bread mix is simply hi-maize, protein blend and baking powder (minus the yeast packet.) So I don't see why you couldn't use it like bisquick. (I actually tried using it to make egg noodles - but it came out way too tough and rubbery. If I ever tweak it enough, I'll post a recipe.) The atkins pancake mix is pretty much the same mixture, but it has splenda added to it - i'm still experimenting with it to come up with something that resembles chocolate chip cookies!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 19:15

BF:

Thanks for the info on Hi-maize! I have used the atkins pancake mix to make chicken nuggets. I dipped the chicken in a cream and water mixture, then coated it in the pancake mixture. I added a few seasonings and it was GOOD! Reminded me of this honey fried chicken that my mom use to make when I was a kid.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 14:55

Plan: own version of LC
Stats: 180/163/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Just bought the Atkins corn muffin mix last night but haven't made it yet. Reading the posts, it sounds like it will be yummy. Sure hope so....the cost for one box was $5.69 yikes!

Love these threads. Hate to spend money on foods that I throw away. This helps eliminate that!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 16:13

Plan: Low Carb - Real Foods
Stats: 177/168.5/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Thumbs up Chocolate Muffins!!!

I finally made the Atkins chocolate muffins. I didn't add the extra egg, I just left the recipe as is... I'll the try the other way next time.

I must say... OH MY GOODNESS...HEAVEN!!!

They certainly aren't a breakfast muffin. They remind me of those Two-Bite Brownies that I used to love so much. I didn't have a problem going overboard... for some reason I don't quite crave the chocolate like I did so one was enough. But for certain, this is a treat and a half.

I would recommend these to anyone.

Yay for treats!!!

Linnea
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 18:53

Plan: own version of LC
Stats: 180/163/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Well, I just made the corn bread for a side dish at dinner. Waiting for DH to come home so we can eat. I did eat a sliver to see what it tasted like.

It's not the same as cornbread the way I'm use to but oh my...it does taste good! Instead of putting the batter in muffin tins, I used a 9" pie pan and got two batches out of the mix. I couldn't believe my eyes when I opened the oven. They looked like cake. Rose very well and has a great texture. Spread butter on top while they were cooling and sprinkled a little bit of splenda.

Oh yeah...big thing....I baked them at 375 degrees for 35 - 40 minutes. Good thing I checked because they were done.

I will definately buy this product again but sparingly because of the cost. Next time I'm gonna add some cinnammon and splenda to the mix and see how it turns out.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 12:40

Plan: BFL
Stats: 151/142/? Female 5'9
BF:35%/23%/15%
Progress: 5%
Default yikes!

I found a 40% off special and bought a package of corn, lemon poppyseed, and blueberry muffins. (I had bought a box of orange cranberry and they are in my freezer.. yummy!)
They are not in a box but a bag, and they are called "Atkins Quick Quisine". I was really ecstatic to have found these and then read that the net carb count for the corn and blueberry is 8 grams of carbs!!!!! (11 carbs, 3 fiber)
Did anybody else notice this??
Is it just these "Quick Quisine" deals or is it the same on all boxes? The muffins (I've only tried the orange cranberry) are heaven sent but I don't know if I can afford to spare 8 of my carbs on one muffin...

Sheri