Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 09:55

Plan: Schwarzbein/Atkins
Stats: 180/180/145
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default I'm starting to think I really am addicted to sugar......

Hi there,
I am not low carbing at the moment but am seriously considering it these days. I have PCOS and from what I read, it sounds like low carbing really helps the weight loss and symptoms. I've half heartedly low carbed in the past with a little success but couldn't stick with it. It is today that I'm starting to realize that I really might be addicted to sugar. I had my usual coffee before breakfast and a couple of my daughter's frosted flakes. An hour-2 hours later, I had scrambled eggs with onions and peppers. AFter that, I started shaking really bad. It didn't stop until I had a piece of chocolate. (Yes, I'm hanging my head in shame......) Is this sugar addiction or is there something else going on? Plus, how do you find the right plan for you? I'd love to hear your opinions and experiences!
susan
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 12:38

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Won't know till you try

And then, in all likelihood, you'll be amazed.

I didn't even THINK I was addicted; never attributed ANY of the symptoms that are now gone to sugar and carb ingestion. AMAZED at the difference. Living is just so much easier now.

Atkins is the granddaddy and for me, the most straightforward. Other people swear by CAD; I can't manage my life tightly enough to keep to that eating schedule. I also don't believe their premise; not borne out by my experience with food. Everyone has an opinion.

but the biggest element, I think: Pick a plan, and follow it, and give it enough time--maybe 90 days, maybe a year--so that you really start to live into it. So that you experience living free of the addiction. Then decide.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 12:54
Out of service...

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/205.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi Susan,
Well, sure sounds like something funny is going on there, doesn't it? Getting the shakes like that, pretty scary. I was lucky, because my withdrawl wasn't that bad... I was already limiting carbs somewhat because of my diabetes, so that could be why.
From what I've read of PCOS (my dr thinks I have it, but because I'm already on Metformin for my diabetes and not planning to have children, there's no point to testing me since I'm already taking the best treatment for it anyway) it can lead to the development of diabetes, so IMHO it would probably be an excellent idea for you to practice an lc wol in order to prevent diabetes from forming in your body. Believe me, you don't want to deal with that, if you can help it! It affects more than your eating... you can't buy insurance, the health complications... if you can avoid it, you should. I wish that I would have known that I could prevent it when I still had the chance.
But, having said that, it is a very restrictive woe and if you aren't "ready" to make that commitment, then I don't think that it would work. For me, it took 7 years of diabetes before I found this wol, and I was totally ready to embrace my health and take care of myself this way. I also have a wonderful dh, who is supportive and also living this wol, though he isn't overweight at all.
Best of luck to you, please drop me a line in my journal to let me know how you're doing!!

Jenn
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 13:51
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Sounds like blood sugar issues to me.. which any of the lc plans can help level out, be it Atkins, CAD, or the others.

I've been on Atkins mostly, but followed CAD as well for a while. CAD was an adjustment after Atkins, but worked when nothing else would break the stall I was in.

Check out teh "Which LC Plan is Right for ME?" under "Quick Links" on the right-hand sidebar for an overview of the different plans. You're sure to find one you can live with.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 01:04
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Susan, I get lowblood sugar. Just a few months ago I would get up at least once and sometimes twice at night to eat because I would get sick and this even with eating right before I went to bed. After almost 3 months, not doing great this last month, I almost never have to eat. Keeping my carbs low seems to have healed what was causing the problem. However, I am still a sugar addict- I see it I want it. I would suggest that you start eating many small meals a day and never eat carbs without protein. Eat all the fat you want. If you still get shaky eat one spoonful of peanut butter and wait it out. When I get lowblood sugar I feel like I need this huge amount of food but I found out that I really don't. Another food that works well is lowcarb tortillas. I think the high fiber protein and fat do wonders for blood sugar.

Last edited by nawchem : Fri, Dec-19-03 at 01:06.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 04:03
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/170/150 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyslyr
It is today that I'm starting to realize that I really might be addicted to sugar. I had my usual coffee before breakfast and a couple of my daughter's frosted flakes. An hour-2 hours later, I had scrambled eggs with onions and peppers. AFter that, I started shaking really bad. It didn't stop until I had a piece of chocolate. (Yes, I'm hanging my head in shame......) Is this sugar addiction or is there something else going on?
susan

What did your doctor say?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 06:36

Plan: adkins
Stats: 160/148.5/130 Female 5 4
BF:
Progress: 38%

Im not sure if I get low blood sugar anymore but I know I used to. I also remember when I 1st started this diet hardcore I also had the shakes. I just had to have chocolate. I really do think I was addicted to it. So many people use "addicted" lightly. I truely do believe I was "addicted". As do many of you, If you feel that bad when you try to stop eating sugar you probably are "addicted". I buy the low carb chocolate sometimes but If I dont have it in the house I dont have to have it, you know what I mean. When Im at the store , thats generally when I make up my mind to buy low carb chocolate. My DD still points out the Ferrero Rochet chocolates, which happen to be my favorite of all time. I dont even bother to buy it. Russell Stover is just as good.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 06:45

Plan: Schwarzbein/Atkins
Stats: 180/180/145
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for all of the great responses! It never dawned on me that I could have low blood sugar. Very interesting. Even with my PCOS, I never had a blood test. Other than the standard finger pricks for diabetes (I guess that's what it's for.) I always have a good result by the way... I got diagnosed for pcos from the symptoms that I have.

To be honest, I have never considered myself addicted to sugar or anything else. Yesterday was the first day that it really dawned on me. I wasn't a big sugar eater as a kid but I think that over time, I've slowly increased my consumption of sugar/white bread/pasta, etc. For a few years now, I've wanted to lose about 30-40 pounds. What I'd do is join weight watchers, go hungry, go off the program, try something else, rejoin ww, etc.... I just know that I'm tired of feeling like a huge failure.

sorry to ramble on like this! again, thanks or the responses!
susan