Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 08:04

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%
Default Hypothesis: why your weight loss slows after induction

After Induction what happens.
It is quite normal for the body to "catch" itself. You just lost a bunch of weight in a short time(2 week induction). Your body says "Whoa I'm losing weight rapidly, I am programed to survive lean times, at this rate of losing I'll be wasted away to nothing in no time, slow down weight loss, apply the brakes" (survival mode)

What you need to do now. Keep daily calories 10-15% under your adjusted BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) If you cut more that 15% your body goes into survival mode again and slow down your metabolism and weight loss.

Eat 5-6 small meals a day. Eating often keeps blood sugar levels even and
prevents cravings. Eating often also fires up meatbolism.

Eat a macro nutrient diet around 65% Fat 35% protein and 5% carbs or <20g.
Remember, when you cut carbs your source of "energy is fat".

Fat recomondations, Extra virgin olive oil, Canola oil, Butter, Virgin coconut oil and Flax oil supplements. Minimize saturated fats. NO, NONE, NADA, ZERO, ZIP Hydroginated fats. Hydroginated fats are not readily digestable by the body due to un-natural fat chain lenghts. Our body doesn't know how to deal with them and they end up in your arteries!

Drink a gallon of water a day, plus a quart for every 25 pounds you are overweight. That helps flush out ketones.

Avoid Polyols; (sugar alcohols) low carb bars and candy.
Labels that read "only 2 NET carbs= warning "
See this article.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=182859

Exercise! Exercise builds muscle and maintaining muscle burns more fat.

At that rate you will lose 1+ pounds a week and keep your body from thinking it is starving (from too low of calories)
Here is a BMR calculator.
http://www.ecybex.com/education/cal...s/bmr_calc.html
These thoughts are what has worked for Me and they are only MY opinion.

Jag

Last edited by jagbender : Sun, May-23-04 at 09:22.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 08:47
Getting back to me

Plan: LC WW
Stats: 176/167.2/145 Female 5'7" in
BF:
Progress: 28%

Jag,

I've been reading your posts and wanted to say thanks sooo much for putting so much time into sharing and educating the rest of us.

Warmly,
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 09:11
Bigger than ever :(

Plan: Keto
Stats: 464/280/200 Male 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagbender
Drink a gallon of water a day, plus a quart for every 25 pounds you are overweight. That helps flush out ketones.

That means I should be drinking over 3 gallons of water a day. I drink 1.5 gallons and that is hard!

Also, the link for the calculator didn't work.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 09:29

Danakins and BBQ man.
Thanks Danakins.

BBQ I reposted the link and it works now.

3 gallons that's alot of water. Drink what you can. I drink about 1.5 - 2.0 gallons a day plus a real coffee in the AM.

I think the real reason they suggest we drink so much water is because of the exercise we get "running" to the bathroom!

Cheers

Jag
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 09:34
Bigger than ever :(

Plan: Keto
Stats: 464/280/200 Male 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Thanks for reposting that link. It says my BMR is 3328.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 09:39

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

This is all fine. Many people would disagree with the 'Minimize saturated fats' though. As I understand it saturated fats are just fine. Butter is pure saturated fat.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 11:50
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Butter AND coconut oil are saturated fats. Saturated fats (even those from meat) are not only safe, but beneficial.

Also, a good amount of that whoosh of weight loss during induction can be attributed to water. One of the great side effects of cutting carbs is it rids you of the bloating and puffiness that can plague you when your tissues are holding tanks for carbs.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 16:30
Renaissance Man

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 298/197.5/185 Male 66 inches
BF:26.08
Progress: 89%
Default question about water retention

It doesn't seem to matter too much how much water I drink or when.....I do get in the mandatory minimum of 64 oz. each day.........but I am puzzled why I seem to go up and down with water retention during the day.
The reason I know this is my wrist watch will be tight at times and then a little while later it will be lose and more comfortable. It is a stainless steel bracelet so I know it is not shrinking and swelling or anything.
There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for when my wrist is a little larger or when it is smaller.??????????????
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 17:51

Plan: LC BFL
Stats: 279/155/135 Female 5'5
BF:39/24/<20
Progress: 86%

id love to know where u read that saturated fats are just fine???? some are ok, but really shouldnt be much more than 10% of your diet... out of your 65%, 55% should be unsaturated, hence the reason for the promotion of LEAN meats. not trying to debate by any means, i've just never seen any evidence that saturated fats are good for you. and i cant imagine having to drink 3 gallons of water a day- 1 is hard enough

anyways, thanks for the post jag. you're my LC idol
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 20:48
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Crystal-- despite the recent SOuth-Beaching, there still isn't a whole lot of proof that sat fats are evil.

Here's a good thread to start on.http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=54255
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 08:29

Those thought on Sat fats are my "opinion" and what has worked for ME and my preferences.
I like to get my fats from the oils mentioned above.
My extended thoughts; "Minimize" Sat Fats in the form of Sausages, Lunch meat, and Hot Dogs. In other words HIGHLY REFINED meats.
Coconut oil is beneficial due to the medium chain tryclycerides (MCT's) and the liver's ability to digest them rapidly.
Butter, Is a great way to add flavor to vegtables and other great foods. It is not highly refined, So i like it.
I just try to Minimize Sat fats and get my protein from sources like Chicken and Fish. Do I eat bacon and ribs? Yes Ocassionally. It is nice to be able to eat SAT FATS and not have to worry about them.
There is a lot of scientific data proving that there is no DIRECT correlation between dietary fats and serum cholesterol.

There is nothing wrong with SAT FATS on a carb restricted diet.

Cheers

Jag

Am I a weight loss expert? NO, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Last edited by jagbender : Mon, May-24-04 at 09:38.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 05:53
~ReFINDing Terry~

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 304/167/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Okay ck my math... I'm 41, 198lbs and exercise 45 mins everyday (brisk walking 3 - 14min miles) adjusted BMR = 2600 calories, So I multiple that by .15 , subtract that number and get 2210 as my needed daily calories? And that amount will be my optimum level for fueling my body and still losing weight?? Seems like an awful LOT. Did I do it right?? Thanks teach
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 06:44

Terry lets try an adjusted rate of 1.4 I know chasing 4 kids would equal very active. A simpler way to calculate is multiply by .85 for 15% or .9 for 10% IE. 100 - 15 = .85
If you start to feel sluggish then go to 1.5 as your adjuster.
At 1.4 2431.5 X .85 = 2066 I think 2100 cals would be good for a couple of weeks and see what happens with your weight and judge calories by how you feel. If your walking performance stays up then that is good. If you feel sluggish up the cals a bit.
Watch your weight but also keep track of your measurements.
That level of calories will help you build muscle and lose fat.
If the scale doesn't move down keep an eye on your measurements.
I weight lift (hard) 3 times a week and do HIIT and I use 1.4 as my "adjuster"
I am at 2095 BMR
2095 x 1.4 = 2933
2933 x .85 = 2493 adjusted BMR
My daily calories range from 2350 to 2600 daily and that is working well for me.
A word about those darn scales! I have been at around 235 pounds for 4 months. The scale is just starting to move down in the last couple of weeks. I have changed body composition drastically since February. Just look at the 2 month pics I posted. In February I barely could fit into a 36 waist pant. Now the 36 inch pants are loose out of the drier! I am seeing more definition in my upper body and my wife doesn't recognize me!
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=186513
What more could I ask for?

Jag

Last edited by jagbender : Wed, May-26-04 at 06:56.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 09:07

Plan: Healthy Balance (my own)
Stats: 220/192/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

Jag, I did the calc thing and remember you saying to start with 1500 cal per day (My base x 1.4 was 2398.2, minus 359.73 [15%] which is somewhere around 2000 per day). I'm seeing at least a pound every day or other day, and am increasing my activity. I feel fine, and at first was struggling to make sure I got enough calories. The beginning of the third week I just don't have much of an appetite. Anyway, since I'm slowly losing, do I stay at that? Or reduce?
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 09:19

Emeraulde, I calculate your BMR at 1706
1706 x 1.4 =2388
2388 x .85 = 2029 a day
Stay right there. (1.4)
You only need to adjust your BMR as your weight drops. So in a few weeks run the calculator again at a lower body weight.
I think 1.4 is a good adjuster for your activity level.
I am using 1.4 and lifting 3x a week and HIIT.
Jag
Looking good!.
Jag