Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 21:13

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/150
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy Help w/lo carb-20gdiet and Hypothyroid

AHHHHHHHHHHHH! I just can't find a free meal plan for this kind of diet. I take 100mg Levoxyl , STARVED myself for 6 months on a 600 cal. liquid diet , exercise 2+hours 6days a week, lost 1 STINKIN' pound! My dr says my body is very intolerant to carbs. started a 20g diet today. VERY hard to do a meal plan for myself. How much protein? What about ketones with low carbs/high protein. AHHHHHHHH VERY frustrated.
Advice , please. help! Thanks so much.
pam
http://calltoactionquilt.150m.com/index.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 21:27
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi Pam,

Very low calorie (VLC) diets are the absolute worst thing a hypothyroid person can do, whether it's high or low in carbs. Bad, bad, bad! Once caloric energy intake drops below a certain metabolic threshhold (generally 1200 calories a day for most women, less if you're petite, more if you're tall, male or very active) your thyroid function will be suppressed even further because the cells will resist converting T4 hormone to T3. This is known as the "starvation response" and it's the body's way of turning down its thermostat to conserve fuel. The less fuel you feed your body, the more efficient it will become at running on less fuel .. and you will stop losing weight. And you will also GAIN weight back when you start eating more calories again .. especially if those calories are high carbohydrate.

Low-carb will be helpful for you as long as you eat adequate protein and use moderate amounts of natural fats to provide energy. Have you read any of the low-carb program books? That would be a good place to start. If you look in the Quick Links column to the right, you'll see "Which Plan is Right for Me?" .. there you'll find member reviews of some of the popular programs and you might read a few that sound interesting to you or that meet your needs. Then .. check out the book -- it's very possible that your library will have a copy of the more popular low-carb programs, so you don't have to buy anything right now. I highly recommend The Schwarzbein Principle ... her first book from 1999 is very good and geared to healing a "hurt" metabolism.

Hope that helps, and good luck to you

Doreen