Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-01, 12:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/198/140
BF:
Progress: 33%
Lightbulb To avoid bacon odor in the house...

This summer i discovered a very easy way to cook bacon without mess or odor in the house. I wanted to cook an entire package at once and only had a few minutes. I fired up my gas grill outside and made a large tray out of double thickness of heavy duty foil (fold up edges about 1 inch). I laid out all the bacon strips on the foil tray and when the barbeque was med-high, i slid the whole thing inside. Every couple of minutes i checked for burning and turned at same time. In about 7-10 minutes the entire package was done, i drained it on paper towels and i turned off the barbeque. Left the tray to cool and the grease to harden and then threw the entire tray away. Voila! No smell or mess!

By the way, the bacon cooks much faster if you leave it to cook in its own hot grease(kind of like deep frying). Makes it nice and crispy too! Great for crumbling into Caesar salad.

I also do this in cold weather too as the barbeque is right outside my balcony door.

Deb
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-01, 13:18

Stats: 300/300/225 Male 5ft 11in
BF:
Progress: 0%

I cook it in the microwave. About one minute per slice. I usually eat four stips every morning(four minutes). I put them on two paper plates and a couple of paper towels. Let it sit a couple minutes and throw the trash. No mess. It's not as crispy but still very good. I don't like spending much time cooking breakfast so it works for me.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-01, 13:47

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

The title of this thread caught my eye. I thought "OMG who would want to get rid of the odour of bacon cooking in their home!" I absolutely positively love the smell of cooking bacon. I think Maxwell would disown me if I tried this technique (Max is a bacon-$%#~ - but she's such a cutie)

N
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-01, 13:49

Stats: 226/198/140
BF:
Progress: 33%

I should have said "stale bacon odor" - that reeks!

deb
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-01, 15:31

Plan: Atkins induction AGAIN...
Stats: 242/197/199 Female 5'8.5"
BF:ALOT
Progress: 105%

Bacon Scented Airfreshener....that would be nice..
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-01, 17:37

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

I'm with Nat - I love the smell of bacon!!

But if you want to cook it in the house and not have the smell, simmer a cup of vinegar on the back burner of the stove while you cook. I do this often for fish. And secondly, use a mesh screen over the pan so the splatters don't get everywhere otherwise they keep smelling if you don't get them all cleaned up. Who needs to wash down the whole stove after every bacon cooking episode?? NOT I - I'd be cleaning all the time
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-01, 19:31

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by LC Sponge
But if you want to cook it in the house and not have the smell, simmer a cup of vinegar on the back burner of the stove while you cook.

I do something similar to what "she with the long pointy nails" does But I used to do it to get rid of the 'two smokers live here' smell or to give the house that Christmas aroma. Put some vanilla and cinnamon in a metal lid (I use a jam lid or mayo lid) on the back burner on very very low and let it simmer down. The whole place smells delicious in about 20 minutes.

N
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-01, 22:07

Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

I'm cooking bacon right now...it smells delicious!!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 02:15

Stats: 147/126/119
BF:
Progress: 75%
Talking

You guys are making me hungry!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 06:08

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default bacon cooking

I agree, I like bacon when it's cooking. It's the stale bacon odor that I don't like. i.e. when you leave and come back into your house a little later and it still smells kind of like bacon!! I guess I like it best at breakfast. Nothing better than waking to the smell of it cooking.

I'm having a birthday party tonight and making ceasar salad, I purposely cooked the bacon for bits last night as I don't want to have the bacon smell for dinner tonight.

Looking forward to candle fragrances!!