Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 22:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins plan
Stats: 167/156/130
BF:
Progress: 30%
Question Good Endocrinologist in DC area? Please???

I really think that a good endocrinologist would treat me for my symptoms of hypothyroidism, even though my level is only 2.95 (Army docs refuse to let me try medication).

But finding that doctor who will let me try medication....gosh....

Anyone know of a doctor in the Northern VA/DC area that would treat a patient with hypo symptoms whose TSH is 2.95?

TIA!
Love, Leora
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 15:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/122/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 91%

Hi Leora99,

Here's a link to an article titled "Do you need an Endocrinologist" a very enlightning read.
http://thyroid.about.com/cs/doctors/

Also on that very page is a link to Mary Shomon's "Top Doc" list, once there just scroll down to your State and you will find recommendations from other thyroid patience.

Also there is another list somewhere on that site for Doctors from Forest Labs. This is the site that I used to find my great Doc (a Naturopath)who is in the process of getting me down to TSH of 2 or lower.

If you don't find the Forest Labs list over there and want it, let me know and I hunt for it.

Good Luck, Glennette
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 15:10

Plan: informal
Stats: 180/168/145
BF:
Progress: 34%
Thumbs up

When my endocrinologist told me I was within the normal range and refused to prescribe thyroid medicine, my psychiatrist recommended that I see Dr. Donna Hurlock in Alexandria, a gynecologist who specializes in thyroid disorders. She treats people based primarily on their symptoms, although she also monitors TSH levels. I started seeing her a week ago and highly recommend her. She is very personable and will really listen to you. She has been doing this for 10 years, if I remember correctly. Her phone number is 703-823-1533.