Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 19:00

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default quick meal for diabetics

Today at Wal-Mart I bought some Chef's Choice frozen meals. They are LOW CARB! Finally something quick and easy for us when you don't want to cook.
Tonight I tried the Chicken Cacciatore - yum. Calories 310, total fat 12g, sat fat 5 g, poly fat 3g, mono fat 3 g, Ccholesterol 90, sodium 1320, total carb 12 g, dietary fiber 3 g, protein 40 g.
The others I bought were Garlic and Beef Broccoli - total carb 10 g, fiber 5g and Chicken Toscana total carb 10 g, fiber 2 g.
I did not see any trans fats listed.
I know posts of this sort are supposed to go on the low carb products section but I really wanted the folks on this diabetes forum to know about this.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 00:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

I'm really glad I ran into this post. I'm not sure if I'm going to find this in our WalMart (or Sam's Club), but I'm sure gonna look. Our only objection to low-carbing is the amount of "kitchen-time" it requires compared to the "old days". [I know, the "old days" habits are what caused us to "balloon"]

Still, it's nice to know there's starting to be some commercial lo-carb meals that are of the "heat-and-eat" persuasion. There are just some days when neither my wife or I want to cook dinner, but she usually caves in before I do, and does it anyway. This will be a big help, when I can finally get my hands on it.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 12:26

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: // Female --
BF:
Progress: 21%

That's exciting. I wonder how long it will be before we see these in Canada.

I don't know why, but I have never ever managed to come up with a homemade TV dinner that reheated to taste good. I wonder what they do in those food factories that I don't do at home.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 14:26

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 203/171/170
BF:
Progress: 97%

Thanks. I'll be stopping there on my way home tonight.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 14:44
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I had the Chicken Toscana about 2 weeks ago. It was very good! I bought the other Chef's Choice "flavors", as well, but haven't tried them yet. I got them at my local Super Wal*Mart.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 14:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynC
I got them at my local Super Wal*Mart.

Apparently only the Super Wal*Marts have groceries. The closest one to me is in Charlestown, W.VA, some 50 or so miles away. It'll have to wait unless I can find it at another store.

Is "Chef's Choice" a Wal*Mart house brand, or do I stand a chance of finding it at a place like Food Lion?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 15:07

BF:
Default Chef's Choice

I don't think Chef's Choice is a Wal-Mart brand. The package does not list a web site but does list this:

Chef's Choice Consumer Affairs
11432 Lackland Road
St. Louis, MO 63146

It is distributed by:
Aurora Foods Inc.
11432 Lackland Road
St. Louis, MO 63146

Check with your local grocery store to see if they will stock it. Most stores are willing to do that.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 14:20
Contributing Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 120/120/106 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks Alot-new here just trying to learn my way around. Have no idea what I'm doing. Sure was glad to hear that. Dx. with DM about 5 mos. ago.
Salad
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 15:15

BF:

I did a search for Aurora Foods and found their web site. They are makers/distrubutors for several brands including Chef's Choice. Chef's Choice also makes regular frozen meals so you will need to specify "low Carb" when you make your request at your grocer.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 20:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopie
and found their web site.

Chef's Choice from Aurora Foods

None of this stuff is low carb, though. They don't show any of the flavors you mentioned on this page.

Last edited by c6h6o3 : Mon, Jul-28-03 at 20:20.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 19:07
Getting Healthy!

BF:

My local Winn-Dixie sells regular Chef's Choice frozen meals. I'm hoping that they'll eventually carry the low carb meals, too.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 17:34
Getting Healthy!

BF:

That's definitely the same Chef's Choice. The symbol on the low carb boxes is the same as on the website. It's too bad that they don't mention the low carb items. It'd be great if they promoted them more.

I've found four flavors--3 chicken and 1 beef. Has anyone found more?
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 17:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynC
It's too bad that they don't mention the low carb items.

I've emailed their customer service dept. asking for distributors and/or stores selling the low carb meals in my area.

This is obviously a very progressive and savvy organization, who has done its marketing homework thoroughly. When the public finally wakes up and the tide turns away from the low fat lie, these people will be superbly positioned to take advantage of the new trend.

It's really heartening to see a large, successful, mainstream enterprise produce a product like this against prevailing market demand. Now if we could just get them to stop making those damn pancakes.....
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 21:32

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Cool I Want One!

c6h6o3 - Would you share the email addy so we can all email them for stores in our area? Plus, it wouldn't hurt if they think there is some interest!

(If I were a "big wig" at General Mills, Kellog, etc., I would be making cubic buttloads of LC products. Or I would atleast be developing them! Whoever gets their products out first will no doubt claim they discovered LC...lol)
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 21:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrielee
c6h6o3 - Would you share the email addy so we can all email them for stores in our area? Plus, it wouldn't hurt if they think there is some interest!

(If I were a "big wig" at General Mills, Kellog, etc., I would be making cubic buttloads of LC products.

There's a 'contact us' link on the Aurora website. That's how I composed the email. It's consumeraffairs~aurorafoods.com.

Companies like Kraft foods are still geared toward low fat products and are extrapolating that trend infinitely into the future. Companies like Aurora know that public taste in these things swings like a pendulum, and when the tide turns their fortunes will skyrocket while Kraft's drops right into the toilet.

Last edited by c6h6o3 : Wed, Jul-30-03 at 21:29.