Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 10:04
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 124/117/112
BF:
Progress: 58%
Question Need Feedback on Induction Foods

The following are foods I've been eating during Induction. Please let me know if any of these are not acceptable for weight loss:

Breakfast:
Eggs w/ butter
Bacon
Scrapple
Sausage

Beverages:
Water
Crystal Light -Sugar Free
Unsweetened Tea
Coffee w/ splenda and half/half
Rum w/ Diet Coke-sometimes

Snacks:
Jello w/ Cream
Cheddar Cheese

Lunch:
Salads w/ BlueCheese Dressing or Ranch
Tuna/Egg or Chicken Salad
Cheeseburger w/ mayo,onion,pickle (no bun) burger King
(sometimes I eat 2 at a time and also for dinner so it could be 4 in one day on occassion)
ColdCuts from Inside of Sub: Salami,Pepperoni,Ham w/ mayo and hot peppers

Dinner:
Buffalo Wings w/ blue cheese
celery w/ cream cheese
Salmon
Lobster w/ butter
crab legs, scallops, shrimp
Steak
Porkchops (w/ the fat sometimes)
Tbsp of Peanut Butter
Few Cashews
Veggies Cooked in Butter/Olive Oil: Asparagus,Gr Beans,Broccoli
Topping of off pizza (cheese, pepperoni, light sauce)
Hot Dogs w/ Mustard (no bun)

How's my menu planning?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 10:16

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Coffee, tea do have carbs so careful on that....and you already know about the crystal light from the other post.

Mixed drinks aka rum and diet coke are NOT allowed on induction. Nor are nuts....aka cashews. Not sure what scrapple is Peanut butter isn't on induction either.

You may want to limit the lunchmeat aka sub parts. Most lunch type meats are processed with added sugar or fillers. Same with the hot dogs.

Everything else looks good.

You may want to go back to the book and look more closely at the induction list of foods and adjust. The whole point of induction is to detox your system and get away from food cravings. By not doing exactly as he says you could be setting yourself up with half hearted attempt at trying to lose weight.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 10:53

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

TF19310, you might want to invest in a copy of DANDR - there are a lot of things on your menu list that are not Induction foods. You cannot successfully complete Dr. Atkin's plan if you do not read the book. LC is about sustained permanent fat loss - it is about learning a new way of eating and developing new behaviours that you can live with for the rest of your life. Induction is just the first 2 weeks - there is Ongoing Weight Loss (OWL) and Maintenance.

You're playing with your health - please get a copy of the book (I am sure they have them at the library) and go about this in a healthy and informed manner.

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 12:13
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb

Indeed, it would also be a good idea to invest in a good, accurate carb counter ... Corrine T. Netzer's Complete Book of Food Counts is terrific, $7.99 US .. great for when you're not online. Our carb counter tool (from the orange menu bar at the top, look for Low Carb Tools) .. is great, over 6,000 foods, based on the latest USDA release, plus more.

Scrapple MIGHT be acceptable, if it's home-made and only fresh meats and fats were used. Commercially prepared scrapple, plus many home-recipes .. are heavy on the cornmeal, oats, grits or barley. Way high in carbs, 7 or 8g per small 2 oz portion.

Most shellfish have some carbs. Lobster, shrimp and crab aren't too bad, 1 to 1.5g per 3 oz cooked. Scallops are higher .. 3g per 3 oz cooked.

Peanuts aren't nuts, they're legumes, and higher in carbs than most nuts. Except cashews, which are WAY high in carbs 9g per 1/4 cup, which is a small handful. After Induction, acceptable nuts would include macadamias, brazils, almonds and walnuts.

Learn to read labels. If there's no nutrition data telling you the exact number of carbs, look at the ingredients. Any word ending in "ose" is a sugar of some type, and starches, wheat crumbs and fillers are everywhere.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 12:51
Registered Member

BF:
Smile Induction, Take II

Thanks for your help.

I am NOT giving up, but am starting my Induction over beginning today and will pick up some new Low Carbing Books tonight.
I have been reading Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution, but I really didn't find the answers I was looking for.....(obviously).

Perhaps I should log my meals here more frequently to ensure I'm staying on track. I know it helps me to see what everyone else is eating. I'm off to a good start today as I've had 40 oz. of PLAIN H20 so far.......
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 08:32
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution Book

I bought the Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution (paperback w/ yellow cover) and this is the book I should have gotten a hold of the first time. It provides answers to most of my questions and inforamtion about the foods and meal planning I was looking for for from Level 1 to Level 5.
The other book was Dr. Atkins NEW Diet Revolution (white paperback); that is the one that wasn't very helpful for me. I'm expecting to have more successful results this go-round and be on my way to the purple level on my Keto Stix. Will let you know!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 10:39

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%

TF,
If you haven't already, I'd suggest you begin a journal in the Journal's section of this board, and post your daily menu there. That way, people who see it can help you tweak it or see if there is anything that sends up "red flags" about the food you're eating. It can be very helpful to get that kind of feedback, especially if your weight loss stalls.

Shalom,
Sh'ra