Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 10:02

Plan: EFGT/Nourishing Trads
Stats: -/-/- Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 57%
Unhappy The Runs

Hi all

I'm new to this site, but have been low carbing for over a year.

Since January, I have been suffering from "the runs" now and then. It's settled down to once or twice a week, but always exactly an hour after a meal. There is no pain, just an urgency to get to the loo. No blood either.

Anybody else experience this? I figure it might be because of the high fat element of my diet.

Katy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 12:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 786/786/786 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 2%

High Katy131

I've been following Atkins since January this year. And I also did have the "runs" from time to time. Sometime more than once or twice a day...

Dont know, seem to have stoped now, having a bit of opposite problem now...

Sheila
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 12:22

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Many oils, olive and sesame (caster oil) have a natural laxative effect in some most people. This effect is usually mild, but helps with constipation. Too much and lots of D. Butter/milk dairy products high in fat, like cream usually have a C constipating effect. Look at the kinds of fats you are eating. For some people an increase in any kind of fat will create diahrea if you are NOT eating soluable fibers (metamucil or foods that absorb fats like soy flour or low carb pastas - for example) at the same time (this creates bulk and slows the processing). Also, if you are eating alot of insoluable fibers and alot of fat - whammo - you may get diahrea due to the increase in transit time. Unfortunately I have much experience with management of this lovely issue. Hope this helps.

Add some soluable fiber foods - supplements.
Check the types of oils - eat some cheese that should slow things WAY down...or yogurt.
Also, if your trouble continues please see a doctor. D can be a result of parasites, food poisioning (w fever) or giardia / water borne illness.
If you are lactose intolerant, cream could be the problem.

Take care.

N
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 15:14

Plan: Atkins type
Stats: 224/209/187
BF:
Progress: 41%

Low Carb pastas!
Please expand and inform us!!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-12-02, 10:32

Plan: EFGT/Nourishing Trads
Stats: -/-/- Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Curious!

I'm not sure what are soluble and what are insoluble fibre!

Obviously, I am eating no starchy food at all, but plenty of green veg/salad and some low carb fruits. I eat hardly any oils, except what I put on my salad (usually a brand high fat dressing), and always cook in butter or lard. Also, I experienced one of my first "occasions" after a Cauliflower Cheese dinner, which thus excludes cheese from helping me! (but I suppose it could have been the sauce, made from double cream and butter).

Ho hum .....

Katy