Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 18:48
ArtificiallyFlavored

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/252/200 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Broke the 200 barrier....at long last!!

So why do I still feel so fat??? LOL. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to have lost 41 pounds in 4 months. But it put into perspective how far I still have to go. I didn't realize how big I was, but now, to be 40+ pounds lighter, I look at myself and I think, man, I'm still really overweight. Perhaps I numbed myself to it before?

Anyone else feel this way?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 18:54

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Congratulation!!!! that is wonderful!!!! good for you!

This must feel GREAT!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 19:07

Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Hi Risha,

I've been having those same thoughts--must be that old adage "weight is in the eyes of the beholder"! lol,,,,we've seen ourselves as fat for so long, that it's hard to see ourselves differently.

judy
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 19:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 233/194/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 47%

I know exactly how you feel. I am still big and it just makes me realize how big I was before. I will always be on a "diet" so to speak because I have always been overweight but at least with Atkins, Iknow I can lose it. I asked my brother and some other family members why didnt they tell me how big I was and to please tell me if they notice me doing it again. I didnt realize it until I lost it, I guess I was just getting used to getting bigger. Now I am getting used to getting smaller.
Congrats on your accomplishments. It was a really big deal for me to break the 200 barrier.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 19:13

Plan: Atkins/SugarBusters/Curve
Stats: 193/176/155 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Dear Risha - I can relate... for me it feels like a marathon, not a sprint. It's daunting to look at how far I have to go, and the closer to goal, the slower it goes, but we are SO LUCKY to have this as our "problem" instead of being unhealthy. Keep up the excellent work - you're doing so well!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 19:19

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

congratulations on breaking thru that barrier. I feel the same way. I feel thin and cute and then I saw some vacation pics and I'm still so fat.
reality check! yeah, I do think you get numbed out.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 19:56

Stats: 259/235/170? Female 67 inches (5'7")
BF:
Progress: 14%

Risha,

I can soooo relate to this!! I feel more huge than ever...and the road ahead of me seems so long (well, it wouldn't be quite so long if I'd get back on track!). I think you're right.... we didn't pay much attention as the pounds crept up, and now that we've "opened our eyes", it's like "OH MY!!!". I don't know what the answer is really, but we just all need to stick together and keep plugging away. Before we know it, we'll be at a point where we can see ourselves in a different light.

Congrats on breaking the 200 mile marker!! That is so cool!!! You're doing very well, and you have a lot to be proud of!

KC
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 20:26

Stats: 204.5/157/142 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

I'm with you too on this one. I have pics from when I was younger and thinner and I remember being that weight thinking I was soo fat. Im never satisfied!!
Now when I get that size again I'll be able to appreciate how thin I really am!!

You have made a huge accomplishment - dont sell yourself short! Be proud of what you've done, dont always look at what still needs to be done.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 20:30

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

I am so sad to hear that you feel so huge still.... I am sure you remember how you felt at the beginiing of all of this... for me saying I have 140 pounds to lose is unbelievable adn SCARY as heck! to most ppl 50 would sound like a lot but it all depends on where you are coming from! I pray that I dont feel huge once I someday break that 200 mark....that will also be a HUGE HUGE accomplishment here..it's been well over 10 years since I've been there... CONGRATS! be proud of yourself!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 20:40

Stats: 208/205/150 Female 64 IN
BF:
Progress: 5%

Way to go Risha!!!!

You keep me motivated to break 200 too!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 20:47

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Congratulations! You should be very proud of yourself!!!! You've come a long way in such a short time. You might try thinking about where you were a year ago and where you'll be a year from now. Maybe that would help with the numbing! Good luck with the rest of your loss!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 21:06

Stats: 280/266/140 Female 5 foot 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Congratulations!

I remember thinking I was huge when I was thinner too. When I think about myself, I imagine myself as the slender person I want to become. Perhaps you're doing the same and, since you aren't seeing the person you visualize yourself as, you aren't happy? I don't know.

But you've made a great accomplishment, and don't forget that!

Cog
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 21:10

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

Let me add my .02 worth. Congratulations. Even tho you may feel you have a long wat to go, you're going in the right direction and you will get there! Keep up the good work and celebrate your success.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 22:14

Stats: 135/127/123 Female 5'5-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 67%

You've come a long way, baby! Congratulations.

I understand how daunting it must seem; however, can you imagine where you would be had you not decided to change your life four months ago?

What you have done so far is quite an achievement. Good luck on your future losses.

Whammy
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 00:00

Stats: 290/178/180 Male 68''
BF:?/13%/10%
Progress: 102%

Great post. Like the others I totally relate. It can be sobering to look back at how bad things got for some of us. Now that we are facing this problem head on, the avoidance and self-deception of the past is evident. This issue really highlights that, even though it is a cliche, it is really about the journey, and going in the right direction, not some random number reached by some random date. No matter what the challenges are ahead, think of where you were when you started, and how much better things are now. Congratulations.