Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 07:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/194.5/135 Female 64"
BF:33%/33%/20%
Progress: 8%
Question Hi - a couple of questions

My name is Mary, and I joined the site yesterday! I've been lc-ing since July 13, 2003 and have lost 6.5 lbs as of today!! Thanks to everyone for the kind words of welcome, btw!! It feels soooo goood! I had started this plan in April of 2003, lost 25 lbs., but went off it (I know, I know... not a smart move). I didn't put ALL the weight back on, but I put on about 7 lbs. So now, I'm just about back to where I was when I started in April... So all in all, I've lost 24.5 lbs. since April, but 6.5 lbs. as of starting again. My goal: 135lbs. (Give me the strenghth!)

OK, I've rambled on long enough, my questions are: What's fitday? How do I start a journal on this site? Should I weigh myself every day?

Thanks to all for your replies!!!

Happy Losing!

Mary
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 08:18

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Fitday is a site that you can plug in what you eat and it will break it down into number of calories, amount of carb, amount of fat etc. www.fitday.com
Click on the Active Low Carb Forums on the top of this page. Go to the Journals section that includes "M" (for your user name). There should be a sticky post describing the process. Basically you start a thread and keep posting to that thread.
Most people will tell you NOT to weigh everyday. There are all sort of fluid fluctuations that will make your weight go up a pound one day and down a pound the next. Weighing once a week is best, however, I don't follow my own advice! Do take your measurements though. These are the real numbers! Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 09:35
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Yeah - what she said...

Also use the clothes-o-meter - how are things fitting you? Not an exact science but definately an upper when you feel those old tight clothes getting looser.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 13:46

Stats: 164.5/157.5/125 Female 5'2"
BF:36%/36%/20%
Progress: 18%

Fitday.com is awesome for tracking and keeping everything in check I started July 15 and have lost 9 lbs now and am feeling great!! I would not weigh every day it is disappointing I found but once a week is great. Good luck on your way!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 15:31

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Should I weigh myself every day?

Only if you want to drive yourself nuts. Weight fluctuates a few pounds up and down over the course of a day, a week, and especially for women, a month. Weigh yourself every two weeks during induction until you've lost 10% of the weight you want to lose. From there on, weigh yourself monthly. Not daily, not weekly, not bi-weekly.

In addition, take measurements of body parts at monthly intervals. It's common to go through periods where the body doesn't lose weight, but loses inches. Also, you can track the approximate decrease in your body fat %. Here are the places most likely to show a difference over time:

Neck
Bicep
Forearm
Wrist
Bust at nipple line
Chest under breasts
Natural waist (smallest place)
Belly at bellybutton
Hip
Thigh
Calf

The most measurement fun I had during weight loss was my monthly fashion show. I would model for my gf the clothes that fit at the beginning of the month but were now clearly too big, and I'd try on the stuff in the closet that was one size smaller than what I could wear at the beginning of the month.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 23:10

Plan: Atkins:Very Low Carb(VLC)
Stats: 265/251/165 Male 5'-8"
BF:41/38/15
Progress: 14%

By the way, Fitday.com has saved me several times, when I thought I was doing fine, but it let me see my carbs creeping up... it also requires the steely nerves of HONESTY!

lol

later,